Start by marking “Best Friends” as Want to Read:
Best Friends

Best Friends

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  22 reviews
To Kathy the greatest thing in the world is a best friend. And Louise Jenkins is hers. They do everything together, from sharing their chocolate milk at lunch to riding Golden Silverwind, their make-believe horse who lives in the imaginary stable between their houses.
Published August 15th 1992 by Puffin Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Best Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Friends

Emily
Loved this book so much as a child. Glad that I got my copy signed by Steven Kellogg.
Chloe
This book made me want a puppy. And a horse. And to be best friends with LeVar Burton.
Megan
Summary: Kathy and Louise are best friends and do everything together. When Louise goes with her aunt and uncle to the mountains all summer, Kathy is afraid that she has lost her friend Louise. She becomes very angry with her, but at the end of the story their friendship remains solid.
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-3
Reading Level: Late Early/Transitional Readers
Topic: Friendship
Theme: Distance can not break apart true friends
Literary Elements: Dialogue, Sequential plot
Illustrations: The illu
Kayla
This book is about two girls who are best friends. They do absolutely everything together. When summer came one of the girls leaves for a camp. The other girl missed her very much. She found out her friend was having a great time and was making new friends. She became jealous. When the friend returned home the other girl was not excited, but then she realized the friend had brought her presents and said she missed her. They were now best friends again and had a new puppy as a pet.
Ally Copper
Louise Jenkins and Kathy Cotski are best friends. They share everything, even their daydreams about owning a horse. When Louise goes away on vacation and leaves Kathy behind, Kathy starts to get jealous. When her new next door neighbor, Mr. Jode, promises Kathy one of the puppies from his dog's litter, she daydreams about getting the puppy and not letting Louise play with it. When a twist of fate makes it so that Louise actually gets the one and only puppy that Mr. Jode's dog gives birth to, Kat ...more
Kim
This book almost everyone can relate to, having their friend go away to camp or on vacation, and how much you miss them while they are away. A very well written story that could be used as mentor text to show that most children feel the same way. I could see using it to discuss feelings such as anger and jealousy. The illustrations are wonderful, and the ending is great. This book could also be used for predicting, because I was surprised at a couple of things that happened. A definite for my cl ...more
Kelly Tisdale
This book was a great book to discuss jealously and friendship. Many children go though the same things and this book would be a great way to bring up these topics. I also like that the book was set up almost like graphic novel at some parts that have several pictures with their own text on one page.
Cindy
I think the book is fine... but jeez the jealousy she has for her friend.
Cheryl
Steven Kellogg has detailed pictures from kid's imaginations.
Brenna
This book is about two best friends, Kathy and Louise. Louise and Kathy like to play pretend. Louise goes to camp and leaves Kathy lonely. Kathy thinks Louise made new friends and she didn't like that. They liked to pretend that they had a horse named Golden Silverwind and that they had magic witch hats.

Somebody moves in next door whose dog is pregnant with puppies. Kathy and Louise must decide who gets one. I like that these girls are two best friends just like me and my best friend, Addie.
Alissa
Kathy and Louise are best friends and share everything. Louise goes away for the summer and Kathy can't believe that Louise could have fun without her! Kathy makes friends with the new neighbor Mr. Jode across the street. When Louise returns from summer camp, Kathy has a surprise waiting for her. Through twists and turns the girls resolve the strained emotions from the summer and again learn to share everything. As always, the illustrations are phenomenal.
Liane
Genre: Picture book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Friendship. Jealousy. Sharing. Abandonment. Imagination.

Curricular Use: Shared reading

Social: Girl leaving for summer camp, best friend left behind

Literary Elements: Alliteration. Imagery. Different genre:postcard

Text & Pictures: Interaction. Pictures demonstrate the girls imagination, did not always show reality, but girls thoughts on reality
Christy
This is a story about a girl named Kathy and her best friend Louise. they do everything together until one summer Louise goes to camp and Kathy misses her terribly. A new neighbor moves in with puppies on the way. The girls have to share this one special puppy, it draws them closer as best friends.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 7355 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.4 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Lesley
Okay, I'm still on my little kick of reading (or rereading) Stevn Kellogg books. This story about friendship is charming, and the illustrations, as usual, are adorable.
Celia
This was my favorite Steven Kellogg book growing up and I still love. I feel really lucky that I got my copy signed when he visited my school.
Taylor
Love this charming story about friendship! This could be a useful tool within the classroom when talking about friendship or jealousy.
I loved this book as a child, and upon rereading it was just as good as I remembered.
Olivia
One of my favorites from my childhood.
Rose
Age: 4 - 8
Grade: K - 3
Samantha
Another childhood favorite :)
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Rauda Riaz
Rauda Riaz marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
What's The Name o...: Young kids book about two best friends [s] 6 30 Dec 10, 2014 01:34PM
  • Jimmy's Boa and the Big Splash Birthday Bash
  • Henry Aaron's Dream
  • The Brand New Kid
  • Emma Kate
  • So Few of Me
  • There's an Alligator under My Bed
  • Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores (Horace and Morris and Dolores, #1)
  • Blaze and the Forest Fire: Billy and Blaze Spread the Alarm
  • The Piggy in the Puddle
  • Secret Seahorse (Hide-And-Seek Books)
  • Testing Miss Malarkey
  • My Pony
  • Little Miss Curious (Little Miss Library)
  • Bee-Wigged
  • Dora Loves Boots
  • We Found a Horse and Other Stories
  • Kali's Song
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
Steven Kellogg is an author and illustrator who has contributed over 90 books for children. He is best known for writing books about animals, for which he credits his grandmother .
More about Steven Kellogg...
Paul Bunyan, a Tall Tale Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale Chicken Little Jack and the Beanstalk The Mysterious Tadpole