Best Friends

Best Friends

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Kathy feels lonely and betrayed when her best friend goes away for the summer and has a wonderful time.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 8/15/1992 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 3 and Up
Published August 15th 1992 by Puffin (first published 1975)

Chloe
This book made me want a puppy. And a horse. And to be best friends with LeVar Burton.
Megan
Summary: Kathy and Louise are best friends and do everything together. When Louise goes with her aunt and uncle to the mountains all summer, Kathy is afraid that she has lost her friend Louise. She becomes very angry with her, but at the end of the story their friendship remains solid.
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-3
Reading Level: Late Early/Transitional Readers
Topic: Friendship
Theme: Distance can not break apart true friends
Literary Elements: Dialogue, Sequential plot
Illustrations: The illu...more
Ally Copper
Louise Jenkins and Kathy Cotski are best friends. They share everything, even their daydreams about owning a horse. When Louise goes away on vacation and leaves Kathy behind, Kathy starts to get jealous. When her new next door neighbor, Mr. Jode, promises Kathy one of the puppies from his dog's litter, she daydreams about getting the puppy and not letting Louise play with it. When a twist of fate makes it so that Louise actually gets the one and only puppy that Mr. Jode's dog gives birth to, Kat...more
Brenna
This book is about two best friends, Kathy and Louise. Louise and Kathy like to play pretend. Louise goes to camp and leaves Kathy lonely. Kathy thinks Louise made new friends and she didn't like that. They liked to pretend that they had a horse named Golden Silverwind and that they had magic witch hats.

Somebody moves in next door whose dog is pregnant with puppies. Kathy and Louise must decide who gets one. I like that these girls are two best friends just like me and my best friend, Addie.
Alissa
Kathy and Louise are best friends and share everything. Louise goes away for the summer and Kathy can't believe that Louise could have fun without her! Kathy makes friends with the new neighbor Mr. Jode across the street. When Louise returns from summer camp, Kathy has a surprise waiting for her. Through twists and turns the girls resolve the strained emotions from the summer and again learn to share everything. As always, the illustrations are phenomenal.
Liane
Genre: Picture book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Friendship. Jealousy. Sharing. Abandonment. Imagination.

Curricular Use: Shared reading

Social: Girl leaving for summer camp, best friend left behind

Literary Elements: Alliteration. Imagery. Different genre:postcard

Text & Pictures: Interaction. Pictures demonstrate the girls imagination, did not always show reality, but girls thoughts on reality
Christy
This is a story about a girl named Kathy and her best friend Louise. they do everything together until one summer Louise goes to camp and Kathy misses her terribly. A new neighbor moves in with puppies on the way. The girls have to share this one special puppy, it draws them closer as best friends.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 7355 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.4 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Lesley
Okay, I'm still on my little kick of reading (or rereading) Stevn Kellogg books. This story about friendship is charming, and the illustrations, as usual, are adorable.
Celia
This was my favorite Steven Kellogg book growing up and I still love. I feel really lucky that I got my copy signed when he visited my school.
Taylor
Love this charming story about friendship! This could be a useful tool within the classroom when talking about friendship or jealousy.
I loved this book as a child, and upon rereading it was just as good as I remembered.
Olivia
One of my favorites from my childhood.
Rose
Age: 4 - 8
Grade: K - 3
Samantha
Another childhood favorite :)
Jackie
Jackie added it
Jun 11, 2014
Antonette Morris
Antonette Morris marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Diamond
Diamond marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Bobbi
Bobbi added it
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Steven Kellogg is an author and illustrator who has contributed over 90 books for children. He is best known for writing books about animals, for which he credits his grandmother .
More about Steven Kellogg...
Paul Bunyan, a Tall Tale Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale Chicken Little The Mysterious Tadpole Jack and the Beanstalk