Start by marking “Stand for the Best: What I Learned After Leaving My Job as CEO of H&R Block to Become a Teacher and Founder of an Inner-City Charter School” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Thirteen years ago, Tom Bloch was CEO of H&R Block, the groundbreaking tax organization. The son of the company's founder, he was a happily married 41-year-old executive, but something was missing from his life. After a nineteen-year career at the company, Bloch resigned his position to become a math teacher in an impoverished inner-city section of Kansas City. "Stand ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Stand for the Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand for the Best

Evamarie
Oct 23, 2008 Evamarie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants to know about Education
Recommended to Evamarie by: Saw it on the New Library Books shelf
I enjoyed this book and the insight it gave to charter schools in which my knowledge wasn't that great. I feel sadden that even though we have come a long way in racial equality there is so much further we need to go. The schools in our nation are not equal depending where you live will depend on the quaility of education you recieve. If you live in a higher income area you are lucky if you dont' you are almost doomed. I feel that money for education should be equally divided. I do disagree with ...more
Ldobler
Good basic insight into start up of charter schools in the inner city and the pitfalls. Provides a boost for teachers who do not feel they are appreciated. Some good insights into viable programs to create stronger prep programs to develop inner city teaching professionals. Uplifting, quick read.
Jeremy
Good balance of story telling and purpose, which seems to be two fold for Mr. Bloch: 1) educate his audience about the need for educational reform, and 2) give his life perspective on living a fulfilling and successful life. Mr. Bloch is fair in his assessment of his successes and failures in his venture into urban-education and also provides balance on the subject of educational reform. He lets you know his opinion, but admits that the problem has several sides that need to be examined. The boo ...more
Brandon Steenson
I had the chance to hear Mr. Bloch speak during a class last fall and I wanted to read a bit more into some of his philosophies. He lays out the rationale behind the need for reform in urban public education pretty well, and if possible, I'd love to send our kids to University Academy someday.

I do wonder whether his model can be duplicated without the unique resources he and his inner circle possessed, notably the financial means brought to bear with UA.

Nevertheless, I would encourage any people
Roberta
Made some interesting points on the weaknesses of current education systems and furthered my beliefs:
- good/great teachers are the most important part of providing children with a good education
- making a difference for children who have a challenging home environment requires starting at the kindergarten level, longer, and more consistent school hours (no two month summer vacation, 9-5 in school hours).

Generally a very uplifting - go out and do some good in the world - kind of book.
Eli
Though a rather short book, I gained great wisdom from reading about Thomas Bloch's life-changing experience. This book not only is an eye-opener to the atrocious state of America's urban public education system, but Mr. Bloch's experience caused me to think about how I should live my life. Mr. Bloch successfully and inspirationally transitions from making a living to living a life. This book has inspired me to pursue a similar path.
Lea
Good read! I recently moved to Kansas City and am so pleased to have read this- as an education reform advocate, former teacher and new arrival to the city, this book offers a fascinating insight into one local leader's life change.
Kathryn
Never remember reading about this guy when this all happened ten years ago, but an interesting read. Favorite line ' I couldn't believe it when I learned that sometimes teachers use their OWN money to buy supplies!'
Susan Johnson
An inspirational book that is fun to read. We owe Tom a debt of gratitude for his passion and commitment to educating inner city kids.
Michelle
If only other people would actually do this, rather than just complaining about the education system, my job would be a lot easier!!
Elaina Jones
Oct 02, 2012 Elaina Jones is currently reading it
Find Block's decision to leave the family business to start a career in teaching courageous.
CeCe Yuan
CeCe Yuan marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Fareeda
Fareeda marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Sanam Emami
Sanam Emami marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Cathy Huang
Cathy Huang marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Bowman Dickson
Bowman Dickson marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Matt Kropp
Matt Kropp marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
David Gillie
David Gillie marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
Mandi kaufmann
Mandi kaufmann marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Many Happy Returns: The Story of Henry Bloch, America's Tax Man Many Happy Returns: The Story of Henry Bloch, America's Tax Man Many Happy Returns: The Story of Henry Bloch, America’s Tax Man Stand for the Best: What I Learned after Leaving My Job as CEO of H&R Block to Become a Teacher and Founder of an Inner-City Charter School Many Happy Returns: The Story of Henry Bloch, America's Tax Man