Start by marking “Stand for the Best: What I Learned After Leaving My Job as CEO of H&R Block to Become a Teacher and Founder of an Inner-City Charter School” as Want to Read:

Thirteen years ago, Tom Bloch was CEO of H&R Block, the groundbreaking tax organization. The son of the company's founder, he was a happily married 41-year-old executive, but something was missing from his life. After a nineteen-year career at the company, Bloch resigned his position to become a math teacher in an impoverished inner-city section of Kansas City. Stand f ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Stand for the Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand for the Best

Evamarie
Oct 23, 2008 Evamarie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants to know about Education
Recommended to Evamarie by: Saw it on the New Library Books shelf
I enjoyed this book and the insight it gave to charter schools in which my knowledge wasn't that great. I feel sadden that even though we have come a long way in racial equality there is so much further we need to go. The schools in our nation are not equal depending where you live will depend on the quaility of education you recieve. If you live in a higher income area you are lucky if you dont' you are almost doomed. I feel that money for education should be equally divided. I do disagree with ...more
Ldobler
Mar 25, 2009 Ldobler rated it liked it
Good basic insight into start up of charter schools in the inner city and the pitfalls. Provides a boost for teachers who do not feel they are appreciated. Some good insights into viable programs to create stronger prep programs to develop inner city teaching professionals. Uplifting, quick read.
Jeremy
Mar 24, 2009 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Good balance of story telling and purpose, which seems to be two fold for Mr. Bloch: 1) educate his audience about the need for educational reform, and 2) give his life perspective on living a fulfilling and successful life. Mr. Bloch is fair in his assessment of his successes and failures in his venture into urban-education and also provides balance on the subject of educational reform. He lets you know his opinion, but admits that the problem has several sides that need to be examined. The boo ...more
Brandon Steenson
Aug 02, 2011 Brandon Steenson rated it it was ok
I had the chance to hear Mr. Bloch speak during a class last fall and I wanted to read a bit more into some of his philosophies. He lays out the rationale behind the need for reform in urban public education pretty well, and if possible, I'd love to send our kids to University Academy someday.

I do wonder whether his model can be duplicated without the unique resources he and his inner circle possessed, notably the financial means brought to bear with UA.

Nevertheless, I would encourage any people
Eli
Jul 22, 2008 Eli rated it it was amazing
Though a rather short book, I gained great wisdom from reading about Thomas Bloch's life-changing experience. This book not only is an eye-opener to the atrocious state of America's urban public education system, but Mr. Bloch's experience caused me to think about how I should live my life. Mr. Bloch successfully and inspirationally transitions from making a living to living a life. This book has inspired me to pursue a similar path.
Roberta
Apr 25, 2011 Roberta rated it liked it
Made some interesting points on the weaknesses of current education systems and furthered my beliefs:
- good/great teachers are the most important part of providing children with a good education
- making a difference for children who have a challenging home environment requires starting at the kindergarten level, longer, and more consistent school hours (no two month summer vacation, 9-5 in school hours).

Generally a very uplifting - go out and do some good in the world - kind of book.
Lea
Nov 07, 2012 Lea rated it liked it
Good read! I recently moved to Kansas City and am so pleased to have read this- as an education reform advocate, former teacher and new arrival to the city, this book offers a fascinating insight into one local leader's life change.
Kathryn
Jan 11, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Never remember reading about this guy when this all happened ten years ago, but an interesting read. Favorite line ' I couldn't believe it when I learned that sometimes teachers use their OWN money to buy supplies!'
Michelle
Apr 18, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2006
If only other people would actually do this, rather than just complaining about the education system, my job would be a lot easier!!
Susan Johnson
Aug 12, 2008 Susan Johnson rated it it was amazing
An inspirational book that is fun to read. We owe Tom a debt of gratitude for his passion and commitment to educating inner city kids.
Elaina Jones
Oct 02, 2012 Elaina Jones is currently reading it
Find Block's decision to leave the family business to start a career in teaching courageous.
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2008
Devon
Devon rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2011
Jason Bloch
Jason Bloch rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2013
Will Randolph
Will Randolph rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Pamela Dyer
Pamela Dyer rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
May 10, 2009
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2008
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2009
Partha
Partha rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2009
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Ratnakar Nannapaneni
Ratnakar Nannapaneni rated it really liked it
May 10, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2008
Rhiana
Rhiana rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Michael Barker
Michael Barker rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2010
Kimberly Little
Kimberly Little rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2011
Yolanda
Yolanda rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Kirk Goza
Kirk Goza rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Aaron Groh
Aaron Groh rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011