Start by marking “American Catholic:: The Saints and Sinners Who Built America's Most Powerful Church” as Want to Read:

Morris vividly recounts the rise of the Catholic Church in America, bringing to life the personalities that transformed an urban Irish subculture into a dominant presence nationwide.
Published May 27th 1997 by Crown (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about American Catholic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Catholic

Mark Desrosiers
Looking for personal insight, I was dismayed to discover that my own Catholic experience (at St. Rose parish, in East Hartford, CT) didn't seem to dovetail with this absorbing account at all! Where were the Asian-Americans? The French Canadian immigrants? The blue-collar Connecticut and Nebraska Catholic fuck-ups? Still, very well-researched.
Bree
Mar 27, 2013 Bree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years ago and was extremely impressed. I was not raised Catholic, but this history of the church in America kept me on the edge of my seat. This book is also about immigration, violence and the growth of America's cities. Always relevant!
Jessica
Feb 17, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
As a Catholic who often struggles with "official" positions on issues of personal morality and interspecies ethics, I found Morris' historical account of the American Catholic Church to be comforting. Far from the monolithic institution sometimes portrayed in films and tv, the Church, according to Morris, is comprised of fairly autonomous clergy who tailor their dioceases and parishes to the needs of the people.

My only gripe about the book is that *I* read it ten years too late. I found myself
Jim
Sep 09, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. This was no oh-the-church-is-so-great whitewash. A fair and balanced analysis of the history of the Catholic church is the US, warts and all, written by someone with an overall positive view of the institution. The sex abuse scandal is discussed, but this book was published in 1997, before the big wave broke over the past decade. I was surprised to learn that I am in the majority not the minority with the doubts (to put it mildly) I have with several of the church's teaching ...more
Robert Federline
Dec 19, 2015 Robert Federline rated it it was amazing
This book is about so much more than the Catholic Church in America. It details divisions in the Church and the ebb and flow of life within the Church, and then places that all in the context of the constantly changing political and economic landscape of the United States of America. it is a macro-view of these two bodies and their changing interaction.

It demonstrates how unconventional each is in the world. Catholics were (and in many places, still are) heavily discriminated against. The tale i
Siobhan
May 19, 2008 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was all the rage when I read it a few years ago. It was an exhaustive study of the Catholic Church in the US, including ideas about the future of the American Catholic Church. It was written before 2002, so the scandal that is currently plaguing the Church isn't touched upon. For anyone interested in learning about the development of the Catholic Church in America, though, this is the book to read.
Lindsay
As a recent convert to Catholicism, I wanted to learn about the Church's experience in America. This book fit the bill. The interplay between ethnic groups was particularly interesting, and gives me a lot of insight on present-day Chicago and New York.
James
Jan 02, 2008 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lmu
i read the hardcover edition
Jim Moffett
Aug 31, 2013 Jim Moffett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
08-98
Crystal
Sep 17, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Fascinating account of the history of the Catholic Church in the U. S. - and the influence of Irish clergy on its development.
cchrissyy
cchrissyy rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Leah Jurss
Leah Jurss marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Anand Venigalla
Anand Venigalla marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Lydia Buckley
Lydia Buckley marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
dusty
dusty added it
Jun 27, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Gpswh
Gpswh marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Jeff Carle
Jeff Carle rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Dan Smith
Dan Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Becky Martin
Becky Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Tom
Tom added it
Mar 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
More about Charles R. Morris...