Start by marking “Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #3)” as Want to Read:
Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #3)

Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child #3)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,312 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Medalon has surrendered to foreign invaders, Tarja is once more an outcast, the Defenders have scattered… and their only hope is Damin Wolfblade.

But Damin has his own problems--the High Prince is dead, so Damin must lift the siege on the Hythrun capital and defeat an usurper before he can come to Medalon's aid.

For R'shiel, time is running out. She must find a way to bring
Published April 4th 2006 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Harshini, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harshini

Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 Kat Hooper rated it it was ok
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Up till now I've enjoyed Jennifer Fallon's Demon Child trilogy; her writing is competent (not beautiful, but competent), her characters intriguing, and the story was interesting enough. But I always had this feeling ... the same feeling I get when I watch my 2 year old daughter constructing a tower of blocks by stacking the big ones on top of the smaller ones ....

Sure enough, just like my daughter's tower, in Harshini, it all comes crashing down.

R'shiel fi
Steve
Apr 15, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, medalon
I found this book just as hard to put down as the previous two in the series. It leaped right into the action and built to a rather long climax. The climatic battle of the book was a little short, to my mind, but was then replaced with a second climatic battle. Some of my quibbles were resolved in the final chapter, which was more an epilogue rather than wrapping up the story. A few storyline threads were left unresolved which I would have preferred tied up into a neat bow, but I can cope with h ...more
Erica Anderson
Jul 14, 2011 Erica Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2011-reads
This is the third book in the Hythrun Chronicles. Don't even try to jump in here if you haven't read the first two books--you'll be completely lost. Of the three books, I would say that this one is the weakest, but it's still miles beyond most fantasy out there.

My major gripe is the structure of the ending, which will not please romance readers.

SPOILER

The book ends with R'shiel confronting and defeating her nemesis Loclon. While this is a necessary plot element, I was disappointed that Fallon
Carolyn-anne Templeton
Aug 31, 2010 Carolyn-anne Templeton rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book a bit worried... the last Fallon series I ended did not end as I would have liked, but the depth of this author's worlds and character keep me reading even when I'm upset with what's happening to them. The book started off the same. The say that I was a bit panicked about Tarja's change of personality would be an understatement (I might have cheated and skipped to the last chapter... evil, I know.) However, the way she weaved the story and plotpoints kept me reading e ...more
Tiffany
Mar 25, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Well, the series wrapped up with a sense of regret. I did enjoy these books, and went out immediately to buy up the next series. The Wolfblade series is in the same world. Somehow, I feel this is the end of the story for both series. *Sigh*

Good to get lost in, I really enjoyed this trilogy. The main characters were interesting, and there was less repetitive bores in the plot in the second two books. Really to see it come to an end. Let's just say, everyone gets their just desserts. So the ending
Josh
Aug 23, 2015 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
A fairly satisfying conclusion to this trilogy featuring the Demon Child, R'Shiel.

Fallon continues to have a deft hand when it comes to managing the politics of the situation; there's been a lot of upheaval over the course of these books for the nation of Medalon and to her credit, Fallon doesn't ignore this. But the final rush to confrontation with Xaphista is generally pretty good, mostly because Fallon's character's carry the day when her plotting flags a little.

There's a "twist" that was tel
Addy
Oct 13, 2010 Addy rated it it was amazing
Amazing - as all her books are!!
Jun 04, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
BRING BRAK BACK!
Kiirsten
Jan 16, 2016 Kiirsten rated it really liked it
Book Three of the Demon Child Triology - Book Three of the Hythrun Chronicles

The final confrontation between the Demon Child and the God Xaphista is at hand. R'shiel has finally come to terms with her fate and has becomed determined to defeat the Incidental God once and for all. After stark denial and many false starts, she has an epiphany that could defeat the overreaching demon at his own game.

Damin Wolfblade and his bride Adrina, her Serene Highness, Princess of Fardohyna arrive back in Kraka
Marlene
Nov 20, 2009 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
First of all, I had a great time reading this trilogy. I pretty much devoured it in a week. Medalon was a bit darker than the others, and I liked Treason Keep best, mostly because of the pairings. However, Harshini the Hythrun Chronicles cuts a close second. Fallons witty dialogue, the believable characters, and the well depicted world she creates make The Demon Child Triology fun, exciting, and simply very enjoyable. Hence, I am looking forward to the other trilogy set in the same world, but ab ...more
Shari  Mulluane
Sep 21, 2008 Shari Mulluane rated it it was amazing
The focus jumps around wildly in this final book, and it maybe a bit too chaotic. The characters are still wonderful and fun to watch, especially Damin and Adrinna. The Demon Child rushes from problem to problem, often bullying her way into a solution, and not just the people, the gods get bullied around too. There are some very sweet moments in this book and some heartbreaking ones too. This final installment will take you on an emotional rollercoster ride so you best hang on tight. I even foun ...more
Marie
Jul 04, 2013 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This is the last of the trilogy and if you haven't a clue what I'm talking about it's because you need to read the other two first.

I have a subtitle for Harshini as well. It'd be: Can the people in the house please fulfil their destiny? It draaaaagged. In the end I just wanted everyone to get a freaking move on. Still, it's a good last installment, however, not as good as the first two. Too much is happening, some of it cramped and rushed, especially the fighting. I mean, I'm no fan of endless
celestialchild
Aug 03, 2011 celestialchild rated it liked it
Where Treason Keep is probably one of my all-time favorite reads if for nothing more than the fun character dynamics, Harshini is a one-time read. Having first read Fallon's The Tide Lords I was sad to find that the ending of this trilogy was also unsatisfying (although, certainly not to the same extent).

Once again it is the adventures of Damin Wolfblade and Adrina that gave me the most joy and helped me turn each page with thrill. I still don't quite understand how their distrust of one another
Weirdology
Jul 17, 2011 Weirdology rated it it was ok
I was very bored with this book. I lost interest in the story by the end of book 2, but thought I would try continuing with the series anyway. I got about 3/4ths of the way through and gave up. It took me a little over a month. I think that's the longest I ever spent on one book. I kept putting it down. The beginning was very slow. I don't even remember what happened. When it finally started to pick up, around the middle, it was still pretty slow and also very predictable.

I ended up just skimmi
Nanci
Jan 13, 2008 Nanci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Booklist says: "Book three of the Hythrun Chronicles moves inexorably toward the final battle against the god Xaphista and his fanatical followers. R'shiel has accepted her role as the demon child and, though still learning her great powers, knows she must defeat the god before he destroys the Harshini and takes all the lands as his own. Medalon has surrendered to the god's forces, and Tarja and the Defenders have been forced to flee into the wilderness, where Tarja hopes to join forces with Dam ...more
Josh
Mar 24, 2012 Josh rated it liked it
I have a really big bone to pick with Jennifer Fallon in this book, other than the titles (Medalon, Treason Keep and Harshini) which turned out to be little more than three arbitrary elements plucked from the story. No, worse than that was the fact that she got halfway through the book before it dawned on her that the whole Harshini magic system was flawed beyond belief and that for the ending to have any credibility whatsoever, she was going to have to introduce a few more rules that had someho ...more
Lauren
Jan 10, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-fantasy
In this final book we join R'shiel, Tarja, Damien, Adrina & Brak as we finally bring to a close all the craziness that is tearing their warring countries apart.

My big beef with this book is that everything was too easy. All of these countries find peace through the bullying and manipulations of a spoiled & arrogant child who, up until this book, was throwing temper tantrums & doing her damndest to avoid her destiny. Im sorry but it didn't sit with me.

(view spoiler)
Tina
Mar 27, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff-fantasy
Final book of the Demon Child trilogy.

R'Shiel (the Demon Child) accompanies Damin Wolfblade and his new wife, princess Adrina back to Hythria so that R'Shiel can help the Hythrians accept the unorthodox marriage and to cement an alliance between the Hythrians and the Fardonyhans. Once they arrive, people are awed by the Demon Child but dismayed by the marriage of the heir to their throne and the daughter of their enemy. While R'shiel, Damin and Adrina try to convince them all of the necessity of
Micaela
Jan 28, 2016 Micaela rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is probably the best of the Harshini books, but Fallon's later work is definitely better. There are some clever bits for sure, but the ending wraps everything up a little too neatly. I'm glad Fallon is working on a sequel series to help remedy that. The prequel series was absolutely fabulous (Wolfblade Trilogy), with much more believable politicking.
Cecile
Jan 18, 2012 Cecile rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, english
In this last part of the Demon Child Trilogy, the whole story is rushing to its conclusion.

After her first battle of will against Xaphista, R'shiel is more than ever determined to get rid of him, and at the same time she's developing a bit of a grudge against the other gods, who messed up with her life. So she progressively comes up with a plan. Having the Demon Child taking matters in her own hands gets everyone else worried, but she's got a knack of convincing both mortals and immortals that h
William Crosby
Mar 22, 2016 William Crosby rated it it was amazing
The most interesting feature is that the main heroine is insecure and doesn't often know what she is doing, yet still acts and is able to have a significant impact.

Also has fun little details, such as, "Even the insects had been advised to move out."
David Phipps
Jul 19, 2015 David Phipps rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
This was a good end to the trilogy. It went a little bit against expectation which is good. I did lose interest a little in this third book so it took me longer to finish it. Overall I'm on the fence about keeping this trilogy on my bookshelf now that I'm so much more stricter about what books I keep.
Ragne
Aug 14, 2014 Ragne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed these books. The characters were realistic, even thoug they always seemed to be captured. They are not invunerable,and they are afraid, very afraid, of the people torturing them. Even the armies act realisticly.

A very well written story of what fanaticism can do.
Marilyn
Sep 26, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Read this trilogy one after another. I am hitting Wolfblade soon though I am wondering if I should have read Wolfblade first. No matter, I am looking forward to spending time with the characters I already met.
Chantal
I loved this series but this book was not the best book of the serie, Treasune Keep was the best one. I didn't lika what apen to Tarja and R'shiel. But I enjoy this book anyway.
Sanchita
Jan 18, 2016 Sanchita rated it liked it
To be honest, this wasn't as good as the others. There was too much irrelevance and not all the ends were tied up neatly, as is usually her style. Marginally disappointing.
Willow
Feb 20, 2014 Willow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A very satisfying conclusion to a fantastic trilogy. I highly recommend all 3 books in this story to anyone who enjoys fantasy and strong female characters.
Mj
Apr 09, 2016 Mj rated it liked it
Enjoyable story, good characters and a good series. Worth a read.
Ashley
Jan 21, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
R'shiel's hair on the cover 3 24 Aug 17, 2012 07:54AM
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • Emissary (Percheron, #2)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • The Shadow of Tyr (Mirage Makers, #2)
Fallon is the author of 17 full-length bestselling novels and a number of published short stories in genres ranging from horror to science fiction.

In addition to 4 complete fantasy series - The Demon Child trilogy, The Hythrun Chronicles, the Second Sons Trilogy,The Tide Lords Quadrilogy and the Rift Runners series - Fallon has written both a tie-novel and short fiction for the TV series, Stargat
More about Jennifer Fallon...

Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child (3 books)
  • Medalon (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #1)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)