Start by marking “Tsugumi” as Want to Read:
Tsugumi

Tsugumi

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  5,698 Ratings  ·  387 Reviews
Maria Shirakawa, la narradora de esta delicada historia, tiene que marcharse a Tokio a estudiar en la universidad. Deja atrás la pensión Yamamoto, un lugar idílico junto al mar en la península de Izu, donde ha crecido al lado de su madre. Y también a su amiga de la infancia, Tsugumi, la hija bellísima del matrimonio que regenta la pensión. Aunque los caracteres de Maria y ...more
Published March 2008 by Tusquets (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tsugumi, please sign up.

Diana L. In my opinion, Tsugumi is a good girl, her nastiness is only apparent , she is selfish because he has not had the opportunity to be otherwise. She…moreIn my opinion, Tsugumi is a good girl, her nastiness is only apparent , she is selfish because he has not had the opportunity to be otherwise. She appears without filters, she says what he thinks, few do the same with her...(less)

Samadrita
The present encapsulates a series of moments which rarely coalesce to form a coherent motif or a recognizable image we can easily identify with only grief or euphoria or even dejection. Melancholia and felicity, hope and disappointment are often indissolubly mixed in this concoction. One cannot have one without the other. But on rare occasions clarity dawns on a fortunate few or those who are sentimental enough to look back at a time which has already merged with the void leaving only a pale sha ...more
Jr Bacdayan
Aug 14, 2016 Jr Bacdayan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel, more than anything, wrenched my heart. I could feel its every beat as I glided through Banana Yoshimoto’s simple yet soothing prose. The breeze of a warm summer sea penetrated through the pages and I felt its warmth saunter over me like a comforting blanket. Even the cold of my room was eviscerated by the earnest glow of a young girl’s relentless spirit. This beautiful tale of two cousins is one of the few books that has truly resonated with my personal outlook. I was thoroughly take ...more
Lynne King

From the time she was born, Tsugumi was ridiculously frail, and she had a whole slew of physical ailments and defects. Her doctors announced that she would die young and her family began preparing for the worst. Of course everyone around her spoiled her like you wouldn’t believe.

I loved "Kitchen" by this author but I actually prefer this book. What it is, I've really tried to fathom it out, basically is that it comes down to the simplicity in the style of writing. Having said that, I've read
Ed Martin
I really wasn't impressed by this book. The ideas and themes covered sounded very interesting, and while Yoshimoto's descriptions of scenery are well-written, the characters seemed to lack depth, and didn't really encourage a feeling of sympathy. I've given the benefit of the doubt as the process of translation may subtract from the original. While the descriptions of scenery were well written, and Yoshimoto made some interesting and thought-provoking points, the characters spoilt the book for m ...more
Bach Tran Quang
Đây là một câu chuyện thật đẹp. Đẹp những buồn.

Vẫn là về mùa hè, một mùa hè sau cuối bỏ lại, tại một chốn xa xăm ven biển nhìn về phía núi xa, mọi thứ đều vây quanh Tugumi.

Cuốn sách này độc đáo khác thường của Banana Yoshimoto, nó lấp lánh và đẹp tuyệt đối. Kiểu như khi đọc, bạn sẽ rung lên vì cảm xúc tràn về, cho dù bạn đã trải qua hay chưa bao giờ bước qua một mùa hè như thế trong đời, bạn cũng đều rung cảm trước nó. Lối viết thanh thoát đầy nhạc tính, không còn u tối như những cuốn trước đây.
Adrienne
Jul 27, 2009 Adrienne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I can only hope for Yoshimotos's sake that A LOT was lost in the translation of this book. I'm just glad it was a short, quick read because I really, really hated it.

Where to start? First of all, I dislike Yoshimoto's general writing style. Word choice is poor (although I realize that could be due to the translation) and the dialogue is sooooo lame. It's like a middle school student wrote it.

Also, what is up with this: "I can't explain this very well. But just then, as the lucid rush of the rai
Lisa
Dec 26, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
first read, 2010: What I liked so much about this book was the mood it set. I loved the characters and the way Yoshimoto tells the story in a simple way. A really beautiful novel. I'm glad I own this one because I will definitely want to read this again.
Vonia
Yoshimoto's elegiac writing would probably automatically receive the rating for average, regardless of anything else. her prose is so beautiful, transporting readers with its sheer elegance.

The tone of this book matches the location, the seaside village where the narrator, Maria Shirakawa, is spending one last summer. At the center of the novel is her friendship with one quite unlovable character, Tsugumi. Tsugumi is her cousin, whom treats everyone around her poorly; predictably those closest
Nafiza
You may have noticed the presence of a new page on my blog: “Translated YA.” I am making a conscious effort to read translated works of YA lit because I feel that not enough attention is granted to an immense body of work out there. I am deeply interested in the glimpses of societies and cultures given through these works. I am also curious about gender and narrative constructions in works by authors who are not North American.

Goodbye Tsugumi is a gentle book. It’s like a calm seashore. It has t
Charmaine
This was a slow but pleasant read, with a few meaningful moments dotted along the way. I guess you could say nothing much happens for most of the book, but that's an accurate enough portrayal of real life. Sometimes it's magical, but mostly we're just going through the motions.

Maria's a very real protagonist who feels very real emotions, and so it's incredibly easy to want her to succeed and be happy. Tsugumi on the other hand just felt very...forced. Perhaps it was the translation, but her pers
Nate Yielding
Nov 05, 2012 Nate Yielding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Banana Yoshimoto is the 3rd or 4th Japanese author I have read, and I'm noticing a trend. It's hard to describe butI'll try anyway. All of the characters I read about in these Japanese novels seem to be so clear headed, so honest in expressing their feelings, and so calm. It has the calming effect. It makes me wonder if this isn't just some coincidence in writing style but perhaps the Japanese people are just like that. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed Goodbye Tsugumi. Banana Yoshimoto ca ...more
Ellen
Oct 24, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm glad I read this, coincidentally, as summer was ending and turning into autumn, as the whole book seems to be about the finite nature of summer. Endings, time. I love the way Yoshimoto describes situations you could never articulate yourself. I think she is a master of plucking vague feelings and atmospheres and weaving them into narratives so the reader has that moment of empathy or nostalgia with the characters.

This book is really calming to read. The setting is insular and the characters
Carol Mola
Apr 07, 2016 Carol Mola rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Lo mejor de Banana no son sus historias, son las sensaciones que te produce al leerla. Con Tsugumi he sentido mucha paz. Un pequeño tedio extrañamente agradable. Es bello. Es tranquilo. Y no deja de ser una historia un tanto absurda. Pero me gusta. Cada vez me gusta más Banana. Y eso que esta novela no tiene mucho que ver con el eje central sobre el que gira el 90% de su obra.
Vé
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book - ever since I picked it up, years ago, it's been my go-to, feel-good novel. The story is simple, yet calming, and the characters are enough to hold the story on their own. It feels like a warm lazy summer evening, or like a cool, rainy daydream. Either way, the few hours it takes to read it are always wonderful. Soothing.

It's not fancy litterature - I wouldn't use it as a teaching tool, or even as an exemple of a 'good' book. I think it's one of these novels that either touch y
Mona
Oct 26, 2016 Mona rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian
Leer a Yoshimoto es un placer. Tengo la sensación de estar reviviendo recuerdos de hace mucho tiempo. De esos cotidianos que no tienen importancia pero que tienen mucho valor. Esa nostalgia tan bien llevada está presente todo el rato. Y como no podía ser de otro modo hay muchas referencias, de todo tipo, pero sobretodo a la muerte.
Isa-janis
Sep 20, 2016 Isa-janis rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-2016
Esta ha sido de las novelas de Yoshimoto que más me han gustado. Cargada de una melancolía preciosa y llena de imágenes en las que el mar es protagonista, Yoshimoto logra una de sus obras más íntimas y maravillosas.
Kavita Ramesh
Feb 20, 2016 Kavita Ramesh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Painfully bad, especially when compared to her other novels. (Though I think perhaps the poorly done translation might be partially to blame for this one.)
Alice
Apr 09, 2016 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro che mi è piaciuto moltissimo
La prima volta he mi approcciavo con la Yoshimoto
Ora non vedo l'ora di leggere qualcos'altro di suo
Ecem  Yücel
Oct 20, 2016 Ecem Yücel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were to describe this book with one word, it would be: "Utsukushii". Which means "beautiful" in Japanese. Yet, for me, the word "utsukushii" feels like more intense than its English, so that would be the word I would describe this book with.

I'm familiar with the writing style of Yoshimoto, from her other books I've read and she somehow made me shed at least a few tears while reading each of them. Particularly in this book, the details she described were so much beautiful and somehow real th
Rachel
Sep 17, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, reviews
Just finished this 186-page book, strangely enough it felt quite long, despite the number of pages being quite short. Spoilers ahead.

Goodbye Tsugumi is described as 'An elegiac story of two young cousins coming of age at the Japanese seaside', 'an enchanting novel from one of Japan's finest writers. Marie has grown up at the seaside alongside her cousin Tsugumi, a lifelong invalid, charismatic, spoiled and occasionally cruel. Now Maria is moving to Tokyo to go to university, and Tsugumi invites
Kyle Muntz
Dec 29, 2014 Kyle Muntz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one too, though I think Kitchen was better. It was especially good for the setting and these gorgeous passages on time/memory/loss/childhood/family, plus I love the mood. I ended up dropping a star since the central character of the book (Tsugumi, the narrator's cousin) is less interesting than some of the side characters despite getting by far the most time, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to work through all of the books Yoshimoto has in translation pretty soon.

The weird thin
Yuki
May 03, 2016 Yuki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yuki by: Goodreads
#booksiboughtonsummervacationcuzijustcantresistthetemptationduh no.7

- This time, I'm really glad that Yoshimoto didn't follow her usual plot: the-daily-life-of-a-traumatized-young-woman-and-then-she-falls-in-love-with-an-equally-traumatized-and-strange-person.
- The descriptions of the sceneries, they are strangely calm and relaxing, which evoked in me a nostalgic feeling.

Dislike

- Even though there are a lot of details about Tsugumi, she and other characters still lack depth, even th
Emi
Apr 30, 2013 Emi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese-books
I wanted to give this book 3,5 stars but in the end I think it's closer to 3 than 4 stars. I might have liked it a bit more than "The Lake" but that's mostly because I could identify more with the character of "Tsugumi". Moreover, I think the translation made quite a difference. I read this novel in Polish and the flow of the sentences was definitely much better. It seems like the English translation really doesn't do the book justice.
"Goodbye Tsugumi" was another slow-paced novel by Banana Yosh
Su Schism
Apr 13, 2015 Su Schism rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Banana Yoshimoto tiene la habilidad de crear paisajes idílicos de las imágenes más simples y, sólo en apariencia, intrascendentes. Sus palabras son la puerta a un mundo donde lo ordinario se transforma en extraordinario y todo pareciera provenir de un sueño extraño y hermoso.

Con "Goodbye Tsugumi" nos encontramos con una triada de entidades opuestas, pero las cuales se complementan y no pueden existir la una sin la otra. Es una oda a la languidez; de ánimo, del movimiento, del amor, del mar. No d
Conejo Literario
Jun 10, 2016 Conejo Literario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Tienes una amiga que te resulta irritante en ocasiones y al mismo, no visualizas tu vida sin ella?. Bien, esa es Tsugumi. Y eso la convierte en alguien entrañable. La detestas pero la entiendes.
No va a cambiar tu vida pero si es un libro muy ligero, entretenido y siempre melancólico. Te quedas con ganas de más.
Andrew Phạm
Aug 15, 2015 Andrew Phạm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Đọc Banana cảm giác như mình được đặt lên một chiếc tàu siêu tốc, không thắt dây an toàn, lượn không lườn trước được, chỉ cần không vững là lao ra khỏi đường ray.
Dulce Espinosa
Oct 14, 2015 Dulce Espinosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Qué buen libro!
Sameen Elahi
Don't let the low rating mislead you too much--I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Reading it was quite an experience, emotionally, but there were technical issues and some missing elements that have forced me to give it a lower rating.

But I want to start with the good, because it's a short read and I think it's worth it to take the time and read Goodbye Tsugumi if its positive qualities appeal to you at all. I believe it was Kirkus that described it as "gentle." I'd say that's about accurate, and t
Steffie Buechersammlerin
Maria lebt mit ihrer Mutter im Haus Yamamoto, einem Gasthaus an der Küste. Dieses gehört Marias Onkel und seiner Familie, die hier in einer besonderen Idylle leben. Marias Vater lebt in Tokyo, denn er ist noch verheiratet und kämpft um die Scheidung. Ihre Cousinen, Yoko und Tsugumi, sind in ihrem Alter und könnten unterschiedlicher nicht sein. Die ruhige, rechtschaffene Yoko ist die Älteste und die Besonnenste der drei Freundinnen, wohingegen Tsugumi ein wahrer Wirbelwind ist. Immer wieder denkt ...more
Chrissi Sepe
Apr 26, 2014 Chrissi Sepe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Banana Yoshimoto has created one of the most complex, unique and fully fleshed-out characters through Tsugumi. The novel is told by Tsugumi's cousin, Maria, who comes to spend one last summer at the inn that Tsugumi and her family own before she moves to Tokyo to attend college. Tsugumi is a bitter, negative person who hates the world and everyone in it. She plays pranks on Maria and verbally abuses her own sister, Yoko, but you forgive her because every single day of her existence is lived in e ...more
Japanese Literature: TUGUMI, by Banana Yoshimoto 3 31 Mar 22, 2016 09:47AM
  • Kinshu: Autumn Brocade
  • The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories
  • The Diving Pool: Three Novellas
  • Tales of Moonlight and Rain
Banana Yoshimoto (よしもと ばなな or 吉本 ばなな) is the pen name of Mahoko Yoshimoto (吉本 真秀子), a Japanese contemporary writer. She writes her name in hiragana. (See also 吉本芭娜娜 (Chinese).)

Along with having a famous father, poet Takaaki Yoshimoto, Banana's sister, Haruno Yoiko, is a well-known cartoonist in Japan. Growing up in a liberal family, she learned the value of independence from a young age.

She gradua
More about Banana Yoshimoto...

“Love is the kind of thing that's already happening by the time you notice it, that's how it works, and no matter how old you get, that doesn't change. Except that you can break it up into two entirely distinct types -- love where there's an end in sight and love where there isn't.” 243 likes
“No matter where you are, you're always a bit on your own, always an outsider.” 234 likes