Start by marking “Farewell To Fairacre” as Want to Read:
Farewell To Fairacre

Farewell To Fairacre (Fairacre #19)

Complemented by John S. Goodall's delightful line drawings, our 34th Miss Read novel takes us for a special farewell visit to the downland village of Fairacre, where the longtime headmistress of Fairacre School and narrator of the Fairacre stories prepares for a restful change from the frenetic pace of the contemporary world.
Published 1993 by Michael Joseph Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Farewell To Fairacre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell To Fairacre

Melee
Jan 23, 2012 Melee rated it really liked it
But... but... I don't want to say farewell to Fairacre.

*sigh*

I guess I'd better go pack my bags for Thrush Green. I hope the weather's nice there.
Melody
Apr 07, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And I've finished the penultimate Fairacre book. I find the character of Miss Read to be very compatible, very approachable, and lots of fun to spend time with. Here, she's ready to say goodbye to her little school but not without the usual amount of village upsets. No diminution of sweetness here at the end of the series.
Maureen
Mar 18, 2012 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jae discovered the delightful English writer, Miss Read. We read all the books we could find through our local libraries. I've continued to read any I can locate. Jae loved the village of Thrush Green, but my favorite is Fairacre. Two of the Fairacre novels were among my first purchases for my NOOK. Both were about the schoolteacher's retirement. A little bibliotherapy!
Ellen
May 05, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will someday have to reread these wonderful novels. I am fortunate that Miss Read
was such a prolific writer as there are many more of her books to read. I have thoroughly
enjoyed every one of the Fairacre and Thrush Green novels.
Pam
Nov 09, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miss-read, fiction, 2014, cozy
A sober Fairacre with Miss Read facing health issues and retirement. Nevertheless, as each book in the series, it is filled with the joy of living in an English village, the beauty of the countryside, the rich blessing of friendships, and the value of a quiet, solitary life.
Nathalie S
May 31, 2014 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In which Miss Read retires. I felt some stress a few days ago and I quickly reach for this book and my cares seem less burdensome, my world started to right itself. :D
Kathleen
I loved these stories of Fairacre and I'm sad to see them end.
Kathy
Apr 03, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just so sad that this series is ending for me. Knowing that the imaginary Miss Read is able to enjoy her retirement also, however, is somewhat of a comfort.
Shelli
Sep 28, 2008 Shelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy all the Fairacre books!
Andria
Sep 17, 2016 Andria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-adult
Not an accurate portrayal of a stroke or tia, if that is what they were.
Mandy
Jul 10, 2013 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i've not read a Miss Read book for years and I enjoyed this one, but not as much as I expected to. It was amusing and well observed, but two story-lines were hinted at and then not really developed. I enjoyed the way that Miss Read had two unwanted suitors and how she dealt with them. The way village gossip spread was hilarious. Not that it's much to do with the book, but I was surprised at how casually a stroke was treated only a few years back.

All in all it was a nice relaxing book.
C.G.
Sep 07, 2015 C.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a scare with her health, Miss Read decides to retire. Follow her health, her final year at the school, her future plans, AND her first proposal, and you have more than enough to hold your interest.
Dec 28, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Read retires gracefully from Fairacre village school. A beautifully read audiobook, delightful descriptions and plenty of tongue-in-cheek wit.
LouAnn
Jul 04, 2015 LouAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a charming read! This novel about the life of a village teacher and her retirement was soothing while realistic. I highly recommend this to anyone who has ever taught.
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2011
Margery Gibbons
Margery Gibbons rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Jeanne Gale
Jeanne Gale rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2011
Robbie Perkins
Robbie Perkins rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Amy Beck
Amy Beck rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Jo Wright
Jo Wright rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Melissa Coyle
Melissa Coyle rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Denise Koller
Denise Koller rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Ricki
Ricki rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2011
Car54
Car54 rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Malena
Malena rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2011
Mary Paige
Mary Paige rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2009
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Laura rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Love Among the Ruins
  • The Lark Shall Sing (Waynes of Wood Mount, #1)
  • Star Spangled Summer (Penny Parrish, #1)
  • The Sunny Side: Short Stories and Poems for Proper Grown-Ups
  • Cool in Tucson (Sarah Burke, #1)
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)