Start by marking “Farewell To Fairacre” as Want to Read:
Farewell To Fairacre

Farewell To Fairacre (Fairacre #19)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Complemented by John S. Goodall's delightful line drawings, our 34th Miss Read novel takes us for a special farewell visit to the downland village of Fairacre, where the longtime headmistress of Fairacre School and narrator of the Fairacre stories prepares for a restful change from the frenetic pace of the contemporary world.
Published 1993 by Michael Joseph Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Farewell To Fairacre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell To Fairacre

Melody
And I've finished the penultimate Fairacre book. I find the character of Miss Read to be very compatible, very approachable, and lots of fun to spend time with. Here, she's ready to say goodbye to her little school but not without the usual amount of village upsets. No diminution of sweetness here at the end of the series.
Melee
But... but... I don't want to say farewell to Fairacre.

*sigh*

I guess I'd better go pack my bags for Thrush Green. I hope the weather's nice there.
Maureen
Jae discovered the delightful English writer, Miss Read. We read all the books we could find through our local libraries. I've continued to read any I can locate. Jae loved the village of Thrush Green, but my favorite is Fairacre. Two of the Fairacre novels were among my first purchases for my NOOK. Both were about the schoolteacher's retirement. A little bibliotherapy!
Pam
A sober Fairacre with Miss Read facing health issues and retirement. Nevertheless, as each book in the series, it is filled with the joy of living in an English village, the beauty of the countryside, the rich blessing of friendships, and the value of a quiet, solitary life.
Ellen
I will someday have to reread these wonderful novels. I am fortunate that Miss Read
was such a prolific writer as there are many more of her books to read. I have thoroughly
enjoyed every one of the Fairacre and Thrush Green novels.
Kathy
I'm just so sad that this series is ending for me. Knowing that the imaginary Miss Read is able to enjoy her retirement also, however, is somewhat of a comfort.
Nathalie S
In which Miss Read retires. I felt some stress a few days ago and I quickly reach for this book and my cares seem less burdensome, my world started to right itself. :D
Kathleen
I loved these stories of Fairacre and I'm sad to see them end.
Shelli
I enjoy all the Fairacre books!
LouAnn
What a charming read! This novel about the life of a village teacher and her retirement was soothing while realistic. I highly recommend this to anyone who has ever taught.
Mandy Sanderson
i've not read a Miss Read book for years and I enjoyed this one, but not as much as I expected to. It was amusing and well observed, but two story-lines were hinted at and then not really developed. I enjoyed the way that Miss Read had two unwanted suitors and how she dealt with them. The way village gossip spread was hilarious. Not that it's much to do with the book, but I was surprised at how casually a stroke was treated only a few years back.

All in all it was a nice relaxing book.
Miss Read retires gracefully from Fairacre village school. A beautifully read audiobook, delightful descriptions and plenty of tongue-in-cheek wit.
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Bryony Malone
Bryony Malone marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
MSCOZY
MSCOZY marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Leann
Leann marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
  • Celia's House
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • The Bird in the Tree (Eliots of Damerosehay, #1)
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • Michael O'Halloran
  • Wild Strawberries
  • Mrs. Miniver
  • Laughter on the Stairs
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
Village School (Fairacre, #1) Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1) Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2) Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3) Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)