Start by marking “Queen for a Day: Selected And New Poems” as Want to Read:
Queen for a Day: Selected And New Poems

Queen for a Day: Selected And New Poems

A selection of poetry by Denise Duhamel, in which she suffers postmodernist angst when using the therapeutic I. The volume features poems from Duhamel's five previous collections, which include Smile!, The Star-Spangled Banner and Girl Soldier.
Published February 22nd 2001 by University of Pittsburgh Press

To ask other readers questions about Queen for a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen for a Day

Cheryl
Dec 20, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 of 5 thorns

This collection features selected poems from her previously published books, giving the reader a sense of her work, as well as new poems, showing the reader where she was headed (in 2001). I love the self-consciousness of these poems and that they all have a punch to them, giving the reader much to ponder after the end of the poem. Duhamel is one of my favorite poets.
Katie
Dec 09, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
I like funny poetry. In fact, I prefer funny poetry. Duhamel isn't just plain funny, or silly, or giggly. She's wry, snotty, quirky, strange and askew...which is sometimes the view we need of life to see truth...even when in an existential crisis.
Jennifer Collins
Mar 08, 2015 Jennifer Collins rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
When I began reading this collection, I found myself sucked completely into the world of each poem--I found pleasure and surprise and admiration, and something to think about. And then I read the next few sections, which I found a bit flat...but that was okay, as I was still on a high from that first section, looking forward to what would come next. And then the next few sections were overly crude, and a bit boring, followed by one interesting poem...followed by sections full of poems weighted d ...more
Michelle
This book of greatest hits draws from six books (plus some new poems) published in as many prolific writing years. The voice is bold and animated. The poems tend to be longer narratives, but move along with momentum and skillful attention to language and rhythm. Duhamel’s speaker is both vulnerable and commanding. She uses humor, irony, and an invigorated imagination to create work that reaches beyond its obvious political, social, and gender concerns
Stephanie
May 15, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poetry for when you want to bring out the feminist in you. There's a lot of humor in here with an undercurrent of sadness. I especially like the Barbie series of poems (One Afternoon When Barbie Wanted to Join the Military, etc.) and the poems told in the style of an Inuit tale (The Woman with Two Vaginas, etc.)

This is a collection of poems selected from several of her books published between 1993 and 2001.
Danielle DeTiberus
Dec 08, 2008 Danielle DeTiberus rated it it was ok
These poems are not the stuff I turn to in times of deep existential crises, nor would I turn to them to read to a beloved on his/her deathbed. However, these poems are just plain fun. They usually don’t take themselves too seriously and the tone is at once sassy and intelligent. Duhamel writes like Ani DiFranco sings. Brassy, sharp, a little repetitive, and a little indulgent— but always well worth jamming out to.
Terri
I like Denise Duhamel and this collection has some gems. I agree with the review on the back that her titles make you want to read the texts they head, like Blue Beard's One-Hundredth Wife or Barbie as a Religious Fanatic or The Difference Between Pepsi and Pope. Funny and harsh and thoughtful.
Juliet
Aug 04, 2008 Juliet rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Eh, something about it just doesn't seem all that fresh any more.

All the Barbie poems for example, despite being somewhat entertaining, seem overly ubiquitous and too easy.
john steven
Apr 05, 2007 john steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
aw, denise duhamel, i love you. i love you 'cause i want to be john ashbery, too, and 'cause you're everyone's favorite beautiful poetry aunt.
Deja
Aug 25, 2009 Deja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
4 stars? 5 stars? 4 and a half?

Perhaps uneven in parts, but over all these are some of the best poems I've read in a long while.
Cathryn Cofell
Cathryn Cofell rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
samantha
samantha rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2011
Brittney
Brittney rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2007
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2007
Anjanette Delgado
Anjanette Delgado rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Tamara
Dec 24, 2009 Tamara rated it liked it
Didn't like it as much as the Barbie collection.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2009
Thomas Baird
Thomas Baird rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Jonathan Travelstead
Jonathan Travelstead rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Liz Ellis
Liz Ellis rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Trista Edwards
Trista Edwards rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2010
Diane Lanquetot
Diane Lanquetot rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Leora Leora
Leora Leora rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Vicki. Rock
Vicki. Rock rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2011
Dani Zionts
Dani Zionts rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2012
  • Wind in a Box
  • The Pajamaist
  • Cocktails
  • Red Sugar
Denise Duhamel's most recent books are Ka-Ching! (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2009), Two and Two (Pittsburgh, 2005), Mille et un Sentiments (Firewheel, 2005); Queen for a Day: Selected and New Poems (Pittsburgh, 2001); The Star-Spangled Banner (Southern Illinois University Press, 1999); and Kinky (Orchises Press, 1997). A bilingual edition of her poems, Afortunada de mí (Lucky Me), translated ...more
More about Denise Duhamel...