Start by marking “Dairy Queen Days” as Want to Read:
Dairy Queen Days

Dairy Queen Days

Over the course of the summer of 1970, 16-year-old Trout Moseley wrestles with powerful ancestral traditions as he struggles to forge his own identity in the Georgia town than bears his family name.
Published July 2nd 1998 by Back Bay Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dairy Queen Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dairy Queen Days

Suz
77 pages in, I said "Bored. Unimpressed. Snooze."

A couple of hundred pages later, and my original opinion has not changed a bit.

It might just be me. I mean, it's Southern lit, and I'm not a Southern lit fan. The dust jacket says "Brimming with the mystery, sadness, an exquisite beauty of youth..." I... guess?

It's a coming of age story mashed up with a midlife crisis, with a lot of family crazy added in for extra flavor. Trout is a preacher's son, 16 years old and dealing with life, when his fath
Kate
Jun 28, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: southern-writing
Looking for a simple read from my favorite genre (Southern Lit) after finishing "Atlas Shrugged," I snagged the Robert Inman book I ordered after loving "Old Dogs and Children" so much from my bookshelf. Of course, Inman did not disappoint on delivering a well-heeled southern tale with the charm and humor typical of his story-telling.

In "Old Dogs," I loved the unusual names he chose for his characters, their crazy quirks and the heart tugging human drama he beautifully illustrated in his story.
Dec 29, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in a hut on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia. Finders-Keepers, and this book is a keeper. Southern writers often get distinction from other writers, perhaps because their wildly talented and just plain wild predecessors gave them a name. But make no mistake. Inman's Trout Mosely is about as open-faced as you can get, and one of the most honest 16-year-old you'll ever meet. A nice diversion to the not so distant past, yet seemingly eons ago--1979--added to the innocence of the c ...more
Pamela Pickering
Sep 07, 2008 Pamela Pickering rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: just about anyone
Recommended to Pamela by: chosen by Molly for book club
What a pleasant surprise! I truly did not believe I would enjoy this book but I did. Although not a "page turner" it seemed to keep gently tugging me back to its story. I'm not from a small town myself but I could certainly recognize the character many small towns have (it certainly compares to the stories of my parents' home town). The town of Mosely seems to be it's own separate character.

The characters were all unique and oddly enough, I seemed to admire (aside from the main character, Trout
Marcos
Jun 19, 2013 Marcos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Inman’s novel isn’t particularly amazing, nor is it special; but it is a beautiful novel reminiscent of great Southern and coming of age stories that can universally speak to one’s self. Reminiscent of Eudora Welty and Josephine Humphreys’ screwball stories about the pangs of young love, Trout Moseley is one young teen you care for and root for amidst the crazy adults he’s surrounded with: His father, overweight preacher Joe Pike, neurotic and naggy Aunt Alma; Uncle Cicero. He’s also tryi ...more
Brenda
May 10, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern-lit
Dairy Queen Days by Robert Inman is a coming of age story. Trout Moseley is a 16 year-old boy living in a small Georgia town. His father is an overweight Methodist minister who, falling apart at the seams, drives away on his motorcycle and disappears. Trout’s mother is sitting in a mental institution in Atlanta. With both his mother and his father a bit crazy, Trout has to take care of himself. I found myself rooting for him. When his father, the preacher, finally comes home, he is transferred t ...more
Erin
Feb 14, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story of heart break and ressurection. Robert Inman tells the story in a soft southern way and doesn't miss a beat. Trout is the one you follow throughout the book. I don't know If follow is really the right word, more like shadow. I felt as though I was really with him on the motercycle, when he cried and raged and in those few lovely moments, when he was happy. I got angry at the adults around him, all messing up their own lives and dragging poor Trout along with them, down ...more
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 Frederick Bingham rated it really liked it
Trout Moseley is a 16 year-old boy living in a small Georgia town. His father is a minister who suddenly decides to get a motorcycle and disappears. His mother is locked up in a mental institution in Atlanta and no one will talk about her. When the father finally returns, he is transferred to the town of Moseley, where he grew up and where his relatives still own the main business of the town, a textile mill.Trout goes along with all of this trying to take it all in. His relatives try to impose ...more
Kendra
Jul 27, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it
Robert Inman is an incredible storyteller. This is the third book I've read by him, and while all are very different, they all tell the simple stories of everyday people in small towns. People who seem to have it together to those struggling day-to-day, but underneath have mighty struggles of their own that they desperately want to keep hidden. And the ones who seem to be the most humble are generally the ones to emerge in the end to quietly be the "hero" - while never seeming to be terribly her ...more
Patty
Dec 10, 2014 Patty rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Ok. So I really liked this book mostly because I grew up in a Dairy Queen (no, literally, my parents owned it and "day care" was a playpen in the back room). DQ is somewhat of a religious experience - Joe Pike is right. I loved all these DQ references! And, I grew up Methodist (still am, in fact). Quirks of the methodist church scattered throughout the book were fun. And, I'm southern and Georgian and lived in a small town growing up and and and.... That's why I enjoyed this book.

My name is not
Goose
Aug 18, 2012 Goose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Years ago I read Old Dogs and Children by Robert Inman so I wanted to read this book by him as well. There's lots of good southern character in this book and having been close to Trout's age in 1979 I felt that Inman really understood what a character Trout's age would be thinking during all the situations that arise. Lots of nice touches and well worth a read especially if you liked anything else by this author.
Pamela
Nov 11, 2009 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Methodist minister named Joe Pike and his son named Trout----would you ever guess that this is set in the South??? This story of a boy's coming of age has some humor (and a lot of sadness) in it as well as home grown wisdom, for example when Eugene talks about being gay: "It's not something you wish or don't wish. It just is. I am what God made me. And like I heard Uncle Joe Pike say one time, God don't make no junk." This would probably be a good book for teens.
Lynn
Apr 17, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Can add nothing new that other posters have not written, but I do wish to add I was sorry when the story ended. For the first time in a literary while, I felt cut-off, left adrift when the the story ended - too abruptly perhaps, but then really was there any other choice given the outcome? The ending in a very long chapter in these characters' lives had ended, and the coming beginning, would be completely different. Whole new book? (*cough, cough, Mr. Inman, are you busy writing?)

Claudia
Oct 05, 2013 Claudia rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! I hadn't expected to get all teary-eyed but the chapter about Keats and Trout followed by the chapter about Trout and Irene were beautifully told and rounded out a tale that has it all -- humor and pathos and the oddities of people and life in a small Southern town. I rarely read a book twice but I could go back and read this again some day to simply enjoy Bob Inman's language and skill at telling a story.
Judith
Sep 16, 2013 Judith rated it liked it
A 16 year boy, a mother institutionalized for depression, a Methodist minister father who is coming unglued, and the family town in the south, complete with mill and company store. Trout Mosley is a great character as are his family members but there is no real physical description of him. Other characters are more fleshed out because Trout, as narrator, describes them. The writing is wonderful, you can almost hear the flies buzzing and the screen door slam. A good, entertaining read.
Mary Anne
Sep 22, 2009 Mary Anne rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was a little slow getting into, but the characters and sstory grew on me. The story revolved around 16 year old Trout Mosely and his reactions and observations as the world around him basically fell apart. In his searching for answers, he only seems to find more cracks in the facade of the people closest to him. Definitely a different, but interesting book.
Heidi
Apr 23, 2009 Heidi added it
I was really hoping for a nice slice of life book, but was disappointed. To say that I read this is a very loose interpretation of what I did. I read about 50 pages, was so putt off by what I read that I skipped to the last 5 pages and was again put off by what I read and was glad I didn't read what was in between.
Amy
I seem to be ignoring this book in favor of others. Not that it's bad, it's just not grabbing me. (Though I do love the concept of Dairy Queen Days -- those days when only a trip to Dairy Queen can fix things.)
Christine Polli
Oct 09, 2014 Christine Polli rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
The story dragged on and the ending was lacking. Not a lot of character development and the author never really resolves some things fully. Ending left me saying "really?" That's how it ends? But is an easy, quick read.
Natalie
Dec 26, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
A book about how a teen copes with his life as the adults around him are still trying to get their act together. I liked the glimpse into small town southern life and the "characters" that live there. Trout, the teenage boy, was wise beyond his years, but still a 16 year old. A good read.
Valerie Yoh
Aug 16, 2008 Valerie Yoh rated it really liked it
I thought this book was well-written. Once I got started, it definitely kept my interest.

Trout's strength (particularly as just a 16-year old boy) was admirable. I was disappointed by the adults around him, leaving him to do his own guidance while they worked on their own issues.

Sharon Greene
May 18, 2012 Sharon Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good Book
Ann
Aug 17, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub
This was a nice slice-of-life book. Easy to read, interesting characters, not overdone.
Bernice Franklin
Aug 02, 2012 Bernice Franklin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could never really get into this novel. There is an interesting story there but not enough to keep attention.
Aug 23, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good YA choice for teen boys. Enjoyable.
Candy
Jul 08, 2007 Candy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Pretty Sad. Pretty weird
Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I'm not sure if there was a point to this story; and having lived in small town Georgia in 1979, I can just about guarantee that the term "gay" was not used in discussion of life-style choice.
Joanne
Jul 13, 2007 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As in many Southern coming of age books, I enjoyed the cast of characters in this one and very much wanted to see the main character come to a happy "ending." I wasn't disappointed....
Justin
Sep 15, 2010 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written, southern coming of age story that - at least in feel anyway - is reminiscent if not quite as good - of Josephine Humphrey's "Rich in Love" or Mark Childress' Crazy in Alabama.
Chaffee Viets
Mar 09, 2011 Chaffee Viets rated it liked it
Shelves: american-lit
Very enjoyable foray into Southern fiction ... until the ending. That's about all I have to say.
  • The Sandy Bottom Orchestra
  • InterCourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook
  • The Detective and Mr. Dickens
  • The King James Conspiracy
  • What the Bayou Saw
Robert Inman’s new novel, The Governor’s Lady, is available now from John F. Blair Publishers. Drawing on his a career as a journalist and creative writer, Inman has crafted the story of Cooper Lanier, a determined woman fighting to establish her independence in the tumultuous world of male-dominated politics.

The Governor’s Lady is Inman’s fifth novel, following Home Fires Burning (1987), Old Dogs
More about Robert Inman...