Start by marking “The New Vegan Cookbook: Innovative Vegetarian Recipes Free of Dairy, Eggs, and Cholesterol” as Want to Read:

3.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Acclaimed author Lorna Sass, creator of the hit New Soy Cookbook, once again displays her talent for combining good health with great taste. With a little flair and an abundance of whole grains, beans, fresh fruits and vegetables, and herbs and spices, it's easy to create the exciting recipes presented in The New Vegan Cookbook. Satisfying and cholesterol-free, even kosher ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The New Vegan Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Vegan Cookbook

Margo Brooks
Feb 16, 2012 Margo Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This book was on sale at Barnes & Noble bargain bin & since my husband and I are dabbling with veganism, I thought I would buy it to see what tips it had on cooking vegan. The front part of the book provides some good basic information on vegan staples and things such as how to freeze and reconstitute grains, which I appreciated. I could use more of a background, but I really appreciate the recipes. Since we are trying to cut back on both processed foods and oil, I sometimes substituted ...more
Qi
Oct 31, 2013 Qi rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to-books
It is a good vegan cooking book. Very nice photographs, but the layout may make a working chef unhappy with the instructions since this book does not have a standard "ingredients" and "procedure" layout. One has to read the menu first and jot down the process first. That is why one-star is subtracted.

It has a systematic way to put together a vegan kitchen. The dishes range from simple to outrageously fancy. Depending on the level of skill and commitment of time, it is possible to put together va
Brenna
Aug 11, 2015 Brenna rated it did not like it
None of these recipes look good to me.
Valerie
Aug 21, 2008 Valerie rated it liked it
Recommended to Valerie by: desparation
Shelves: cookbooks
When I first found out I would have to give up dairy, I bought every vegan cookbook I could find. Most of them are unsatisfying. I've become more adept at substitutions and now I no longer need vegan books. In this one I like, Split pea with shitake and star anise, phyllo triangles with kale, pine nuts and currants, and the vegan waffles work well.
Jenni
Sep 26, 2010 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-drink
Awesome recipes that are definitely new and different from the same ol' fare. Big, gorgeous, mouth-watering, full-color photos for nearly every recipe. I didn't see a single thing that I didn't want to make and devour. The New Vegan Cookbook is immediately going on my Amazon wishlist! :)
kimberly
Jul 23, 2010 kimberly rated it did not like it
great pictures, really shitty typographical choices and layout.

i think they thought it looked "trendy" and "hip" if they choose to all-cap and bold certain words in every single bit of text - headings, recipes themselves, etc.

i couldn't even read this book, it made my eyes bleed.
Shawna
May 27, 2011 Shawna rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking, nonfiction
You know those web sites that are all about hating on vegan food and they say things like, "This looks like it came out of my ass?" The food in this book looks like it came out of my ass and the recipes are really uninspiring. Glad I checked it out from the library instead of buying it.
Sara Q
Feb 06, 2011 Sara Q rated it liked it
Shelves: library, cookbooks
A long section on stocking the pantry and food preparation, with a handy page of grain cooking times and a list of some standard herb blends. A few photos. Only about a handful of recipes I would actually try. Overall, so-so.
Alia
Jan 17, 2009 Alia rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts-n-cooking
I checked this one out from the library and I've used up my renewals. I'm thinking I might go ahead and purchase it because I love everything I've made from it. And the recipes are easy enough to make on a weekday night!
Dinh
Jun 25, 2008 Dinh rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2000s, own
Lots of mouth-watering pictures, clear instructions, decent variety of cuisines, and a good "general advice" section for stocking a vegan kitchen.
Danielle
Jan 30, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
The recipes are fantastic and so good they'll make you forget it's vegan.
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Andy Getch
Andy Getch rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Jenni
Jenni added it
Jul 22, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Kcassels
Kcassels rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2014
Mary Zamora
Mary Zamora rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2014
Tana
Tana rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2014
Allyson KIng
Allyson KIng rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2014
Kathrynanne Wright
Kathrynanne Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014