Start by marking “Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating” as Want to Read:
Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating

Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  634 ratings  ·  43 reviews
In this book, you will find the latest information about how what you eat affects your health, the environment, and the existence of the animals who share this planet, along with in-depth discussions of ground-breaking work by these internationally respected experts: Heart specialist, Dean Ornish, M.D.; Nutrition scientist, T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.; Weight loss expert, Ter ...more
Paperback, Revised, 224 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by McBooks Press (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan

Nate
Jul 09, 2007 Nate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Here we have the well poured ink on paper that begat my long journey along the rough and seldom climbed path of Veganism.
GoldmanCafe
Excellent introduction to pursuing a vegan path.
Colleen
Interesting book...I thought some of the benefits attributed to a vegan diet were probably a little overblown, or at least were not put in perspective with other lifestyle choices (like exercise), but much of the info on post-industrial agro-business practices and the chapter on food borne pathogens seemed legit (and very scary).

It certainly makes you think twice about the sustainability of modern agricultural practices.
Andrea Paterson
Covers all the issues, though might overstate some of the health benefits of veganism. Really great chapter on the environmental impact of cattle ranching, which is something none of the other books I've read have touched upon. Also some terrifying information about the earth's carrying capacity. This would be a good starting point for people exploring issues related to meat eating.
Natasha
Another great book for those curious about the vegan lifestyle or beginning their journey as a vegan. Great information and statistics, easy to read and engaging. Don't expect anything more than the basics, though. But for what it tries to do it definitely does successfully, covering all the bases of the benefits of veganism: animal rights, human health, environment.
Tally
So, not many vegans out there, and I myself no longer qualify, but it was a good read on diet and health and the whole meat/dairy-producing industry. Note: You will probably look like a pretentious-mightier-than-thou-hippy whilst reading this book; I recommend you do it in private or invest in a book cover!
Zorn
Discusses the ethical, economical, environmental and health reasons for why vegans choose their diets. I suggest you don't read if you don't plan on going vegan, because otherwise it is really tough to digest (no pun intended). Similar to visiting McDonalds right after watching Super Size Me.
Eric
Nov 07, 2011 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This is a great insight to the reality of the foods we eat, their affects on us, the environment and what we can do as individuals as well as a society change direction.
Michelle
Wow, What a great book! It really made me think about how we vote with our dollars at the gorcery store and malls. I really enjoyed this book.
Carrie
It's been a while since I read this, but I think it was pretty good.
Marty Cosgrove
A compelling book. Worth a read just to open your eyes.
Angie
it will change the way you think
Allison
This book provided interesting insight on the health, environmental, and ethical benefits of going vegan. I've definitely learned that I don't need animal products as part of a healthy, well-balanced diet, which is contrary to everything most of us have ever been taught. I've been eating a mostly-meatless diet ever since I read Eating Animals, and this book is certainly enough to convince me to cut out eggs and dairy, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Maybe one day in the future. For now ...more
Kristen
This book is divided into 3 sections:
1.) To Your Health- Includes health benefits of a vegan deit and health risks of a non-vegan diet, including a look at mad cow disease (v. interesting)

2.) The Truth About Food Animals- Most of this information is not new if you are familiar with practices of factory farms. That being said, MANY people (myself included until recently) did not know these facts. Told from the point of view of a great organization called Farm Sanctuary.

3.) Beyond the Dinner Table
Carissa
Very good book. I recommend this book for anyone who is a meat eater, it'll change your mind about everything you ever knew about eating meat and how it's bad for you and the environment. ...more
{eri}
Took my time with this one. It really highlights some interesting aspects of the impact of a SAD diet, benefits of a plant based diet, and some really detailed descriptions for animals and animal treatment that will make you think. I highlighted lots of bits and pieces and enjoyed.
Ginger Price
Good read but didn't provide a lot of new information. Just seemed to be a restatement of John Robbins Food Revolution.
Peacegal
This is an even-handed and agreeable book that explores the health and ethical motivations behind choosing a plant-based diet. I was pleased to see the author did not resort to hyperbole, as is sometimes the case with veg*n books. I was also relived to see Marcus explore certain issues that so many authors shy away from or ignore completely.

My only complaints are that the few photos were black-and-white and rather poorly reproduced, and that the author bolded certain phrases in the text seeming
Jacque
Good book for beginner vegans , he could have left
Out his "dooms day world population theory" that's the pissy part of vegan ism is the politics behind it ... A much better book would be any book by Dr. Shintani , the China Study, The world peace diet , raw food cure ... I enjoyed the first half of the book and than slowly you see the politics and almost
Cult like behavior of vegan ism come out . The "have an abortion but save the cow " mentality . All life is precious .... Let's keep it that way
David
A very good, brief overview of the "going vegan" argument.
melissa
I guess this is comparable to Fast Food Nation only the focus is on veganism instead of capitalism. (Maybe those are one in the same? I don't know.) Though I wholeheartedly agree with the message the book is still pretty dry and very fact-y. It's a good vegan resource and definitely worth reading if you're on the fence about whether or not to live animal-free. (duh, of course you should.) I'm still waiting for the final kick in the ass that will make me give up dairy.
Casey
Jul 30, 2008 Casey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in becoming vegan/vegetarian, animal lovers
Recommended to Casey by: PETA
I read this book with the intent to educate myself on how food gets to my plate as well as how the farming industry treats animals in general.
I found a lot of the material disturbing and it did lead me to question the ethics of the way my family eats.
I'm not sure if everything in this book can be taken as Gospel, but it is a good read for those who are interested in changing their diet for health as well as humane reasons.
Emelda
Dec 17, 2007 Emelda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
While I didn't go vegan until 2 years after I read it, I think this book was very important in my willingness to go vegan. He hits all the suspects: consuming animals' horrible destruction to the environment and human bodies; and, of course, animal rights. Because the animals ain't here for you to kill or use. For any reason.
Sharron
Although not a vegan, yet, reading this book has helped me to continue with my committment. It's a sad commentary on humans that so many think they are above the other species that share this planet. If just one person would read this book and make some small changes, you don't have to become Vegan, it would save many lives.
Tara
Feb 10, 2008 Tara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: finito
Eye opening and completely re-affirmed my choice about eating vegan. I cried a bit while reading this, being the animal lover that I am, and I think that everyone who eats meat/dairy should read this and get a real perspective on where your food is coming from. You can even download the book and read it for free.
Edward
Kind of a newer, shorter (and better layed out) Diet for a New America. Presents some amazing facts regarding the suffering, unhealthiness, and pollution caused by a animal-centered diet. Oops, I actually haven't read this, the "revised edition", but I imagine it doesn't differ too much from the original.
Sierra Michels Slettvet
read years ago. it did change my eating/thinking (and was one of the things that prompted me to eat vegan for some time) but the nutrition info was very 90s, it's possible it's been updated in a more recent version, maybe worth a re-read. will probably pick up bittman's new book first though.
PJ
While much shorter and breezier than Diet for a New America, "Vegan" makes many of the same arguments in a fairly compelling way. Not my favorite book on the subject and not one that I really recommend to people, but I'm glad to have read it and glad that it's out there.
Lauren
Reactionary and disappointing, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. It was written very aggressively and served as more of a primer to vegetarianism than veganism.

I was also hoping for recipes... my mistake, of course.
kot
Aside from riddling readers with guilt for wanting to have more than one child and therefore overpopulating the Earth, this is a pretty good book.
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • Living among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarians' Survival Handbook
  • Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet
  • The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
  • Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
  • Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, And Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry
  • Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World
  • Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food
  • The Face on Your Plate: The Truth About Food
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living
  • Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Animal Ingredients A to Z
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others
Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money The Ultimate Vegan Guide: Compassionate Living Without Sacrifice A Vegan History: 1944-2010 Nexus 10 Guide: Master Your Tablet in Just One Evening Nexus 7 Guide