Start by marking “Baby-Sitters Club Boxed Set #1 (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
Baby-Sitters Club Boxed Set #1 (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1-4)

Baby-Sitters Club Boxed Set #1 (The Baby-Sitters Club #1-4)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,747 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
1. Kristy's Great Idea
2. Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls
3. The Truth About Stacey
4. Mary Anne Saves the Day
Boxed Set, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1995 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1986)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
What Book Got You Hooked?
36th out of 3,004 books — 8,356 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
66th out of 3,383 books — 6,371 voters

More lists with this book...

tee
Mar 09, 2010 tee rated it it was ok
Shelves: rated-as-a-kid
I preferred The Famous Five by Enid Blyton because I was a big, fat nerd. I do remember the books being repetitive and the girls, although having unique character traits, being rather unspectacular. Someone had diabetes, someone was a tomboy and there was the blonde californian girl who I either wanted to be, or had a crush on.

I think even back then, girly stuff made me a bit nauseous. I was never one of those girls that was like, "Oh my god, Howard is so sexy, look at him play football." (and
Kayleigh
Dec 30, 2010 Kayleigh rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
I'm not going to bother listing the whole series, but I read quite a few of them (maybe 30 or 40 of the--at the time--100 or so books)in second and third grade. By fourth grade I could feel myself starting to outgrow them, but kept reading because I just couldn't bring myself to let go of a series that I had once loved. In fifth grade, I tried to reread some of my favorites from the series and found myself thinking "God, this is stupid. What exactly did I like about these books?"

While I thorough
Monica
Jul 30, 2013 Monica rated it it was amazing
I pretty much read all the Baby Sitters Club books when I was younger (middle school, mostly), including most of the mysteries, the super specials, and the movies (yes-there was a little known series of movies before the big blockbuster came out). I was a member of the fan club, and made my own kid kits for children I never babysat. I was a pretty huge fan, to say the least. Mostly a Dawn/Mallory fan, but loved them all.
marilyn
Feb 22, 2007 marilyn rated it it was ok
Oh my god, did I love these.

I wouldn't say they did very much for my vocabulary or literary ambition, however.
Doofenshmirtz
Jul 05, 2009 Doofenshmirtz rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
I used to love this series so much. I went from being younger than the main characters to being older than they, and the series still hadn't ended. From time to time, I wondered if the girls would ever pass the eighth grade, and if perhaps Claudia wasn't the only dumb one. (Ann M. Martin would later answer the question in a sub-series that was mildly disappointing due to its realism.)

Stylistically speaking, BSC isn't the best. In spite of having different personalities, the girls all sound the s
Kara Roberts
The best thing about this book is that there are sooo many books one could read if they liked this book. I would love to introduce this book to a middle school girl. I would know that she would love it and continue to read this series. This is a great book for those who are at a hogher reading lever than some transitional chapter books.

Background::::
--Kristy, the tomboy! She disdains makeup and girly clothes, plays every sport and is good at all of them! Oh, and she has three brothers--that's w
Rebekah
Nov 29, 2013 Rebekah rated it liked it
Shelves: popular-series
I read the books in this series when I was younger, and absolutely loved them. However, when I read them again this year, I was not very impressed. In spite of having different personalities, the girls all sound the same. I also have more problems with the series now that I realize the girls are only thirteen. I must also question the sanity of Stacey's and Dawn's mothers, who let their respective daughter get a perm and multiple piercings. This is not the type of parenting I have been exposed t ...more
Sofie
Aug 13, 2014 Sofie rated it really liked it
These books were really great when I was a child, I would always see my mum reading and I wanted to as well so she bought me a few of these books and I loved them! They aren't too long and the stories are quite interesting. Great job Ann thanks for inspiring me to keep reading
Jane
Apr 17, 2007 Jane rated it did not like it
Ann M. Martin's writing style:
Step One--Cut and paste first three chapters from previous novel, changing name of featured baby sitter as necessary.
Step Two--Copy plot from previous novel, changing name of featured baby sitter, and slightly tweaking the "conflict." If book 4 is about Kristy's struggle with braces, make book 5 be about Mallory's struggle with her curly hair.

The fun thing about Martin's writing is how she defies logic. In one story, Dawn buys a lottery ticket (though she's under 18
Kayla Warner
Oct 04, 2014 Kayla Warner rated it it was amazing
The characters in the Baby-Sitters Club have such a magical friendship. The girls are so easy to relate to and...well I guess I don't have much else to say except for: READ THEM! They are not very long chapter books that will warm your heart.
Shyla
Apr 05, 2010 Shyla rated it really liked it
I started reading these in about 4th grade and read alot of them in no particular order. Any one I could get my hands on I would read. I remember my mom complaining because she would buy me one and I would have it read within hours and ready for a new one so I had to start getting them from the library. They were so innocent and good. I loved how all the girls were so different and I so wanted to be Stacey! But by the time I was in 7th/8th grade they were a little young and I couldn't understand ...more
Angela
Read many of the Babysitters Club series during my childhood/early adolescence, and although I have heard a bit of criticism regarding how poorly written and formulaic they are, I have no problem admitting, they brought me many happy hours of light fun reading. I got very caught up in the characters and their lives and always awaited the next installment in the series eagerly. I will enjoy giving the set (which I recently re-acquired) to my daughter in a few years time. She is currently enjoying ...more
Ashleigh
Oct 11, 2010 Ashleigh rated it really liked it
Ok I was a massive BSC fan. I think at one stage, I owned every single book. The first two chapters of each book was often skipped due to it being the same things rewritten. I was way younger than the characters when I began this series and even though I eventually out-aged them, I was still a fan. Some of the books were actually interesting and dealt with some issues such as the girl with anorexia, the bad girls that stole and drank alcohol and some other things I am sure.
All I know is that as
Caitlafleche
Sep 18, 2014 Caitlafleche rated it really liked it
These books defined my childhood and taught me to love reading. They make my heart smile:)
Lulu Chan
Nov 04, 2015 Lulu Chan rated it it was amazing
I think these books are so amazing I love them so much
April
Mar 16, 2013 April rated it really liked it

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Heather
Sep 30, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
A nostalgic rating! I'm rating this series highly, because without it I don't think I would be the reader I am today. I obsessively combed used book stores for issues of the series that I hadn't read. I highlighted the ones I'd read in the listings in the front of them. I read every book at least twice, even the super specials and the little sister series. I started reading them in the summer of the third grade, and didn't put them down until I was 12. Great series for young readers! Love it!
Janet
Mar 18, 2007 Janet rated it it was amazing
The bsc series obviously had a profound impact on my life, seeing that i'm the treasurer of a club loosely modeled after them and i like to think of myself as mostly claudia with a touch of dawn and a little bit of mallory in me (just a little - i mean, i just don't like horses). If you want to read a more thorough analysis of this series, though, you should ask ainsley. she's got a lot to say on the topic.
Courtney
Mar 14, 2007 Courtney rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preteen girls
Shelves: childrenslit, fiction
Okay - I feel the need to explain. I read these as a pre-teen. Other than inspiring me to start a short-lived babysitters' club (yes, I admit it. we had one...it lasted for about 3 weeks), it didn't do much for me. It offered some entertaining stories. By the way, the club lasted about as long as my babysitting career - it just wasn't as glamorous as Ann M. Martin made it out to be. ;-)
Ferlach
Sep 05, 2009 Ferlach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm looking for the complete set. I read this when I was in elementary school, and still loving it until now. Do you know where could I find the complete set of "The Baby-sitters Club" #1 up #131?
I'm looking for the cover like this. Not the other one.
If you have it or know someone who might has it, please email me at : ketawa_ketiwi@hotmail.com.
Thanks.
Maggie
While mostly seen as recreational reading, The Babysitter's Clun series always talks about the everyday life of pre-teen and tennagesd girls...similarly aged boys are also involved in everybook. Different topics of school and home sitations can be used (from math, science, health and well-being, world traditions/cultures, and making good decisions).
Amanda Kay
Sep 22, 2012 Amanda Kay rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 12-13 year olds
I was on the tale end of a generation that is going to really remember the popularty of these book. I laughed at them first but later started reading them. 12-13 year olds. Haven't read one since I was about that age but I bet they would be SO DATED today! Landlines, no internet, and so forth! I should read one just to see how we use to live! Haha...
Blearyeyedmesgirl
Jul 01, 2011 Blearyeyedmesgirl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-and-ya
I read every single BSC book that Ann M. Martin wrote. The Club series, the Summer Vacation series, the Mystery series...every. single. one.
And I still own every. single. one.

I did not, however, want to add them all here individually. Needless to say, when I was kid, these books were my world.
christy Stanford
Mar 27, 2010 christy Stanford rated it liked it
They started off great but after TBC was written by ghost writters it really went down hill. Even at 11 I could tell the writting was bad. The ghost writters didnt even read the books that came before the ones they write. Often they would get very big plot holes and incorrect information.
Samantha
Aug 31, 2007 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids of all ages
This was my favorite series when I was little, and you better believe they trained me to be the best baby sitter ever! Ah Nostalgia, I recently learned that the author used my unusual last name in one of her recent Teen Lit Books, Ms Sevekow. Hmmmm Wonder if she knew my mom, a former Math teacher.
Rosemary
Jun 04, 2012 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
One of the best series for young adults, ever! I remember my best friend Todd and I used to trade books (he was a babysitter too). For some time they have been out of print but I read that they are redesigning the covers and re-releasing the books!
Carolyn
Dec 19, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it
I read a number of these books (likely close to all of them) in Grade 3/4 (you can skip the second chapter). Easy reads with some different female characters to follow. inspired me and a friend to start our own baby sitters service (grade 6 or 7).
Kim
Sep 16, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
This was my absolute favorite series growing up. I had over 100 books from the series. It's been so long since I read them so I can't remember many of the details but the books were good clean fun with the excitement of adolescent drama.
Jaime
Sep 13, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-read
Read all the Baby-Sitters Club books growing up. Have to give them 4 stars because I have such fond memories of them, plus my friends and I tried to start our own Baby-Sitters Club. Didn't have much success...
Emily
Oct 15, 2007 Emily rated it liked it
I read these books at least into the teen issues of the series before they got really old. There's something about your first easy serial fiction series. No Nancy Drew for me. I admit my mediocrity ;-)
  • Nancy Drew: Girl Detective: #1-4
  • The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4)
  • Jessica the Rock Star (Sweet Valley Twins, #34)
  • Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2)
  • Fall Into Darkness
  • Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)