Start by marking “The Real Thing” as Want to Read:
The Real Thing

The Real Thing (Victoria Lesser #1)

They were complete strangers searching for the same thing - solitude. But thanks to a matchmaking friend, Deirdre Joyce and Neil Hersey found themselves stranded on an island off the coast of Maine. Forced to coexist, they discovered there was no escaping the inevitable - irresistible attraction and a desire so powerful that the idea of living alone again was unimaginable.
Published February 1st 1998 by Mira (first published November 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Thing

Julie Barrett
Nov 05, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Trust by Barbara Delinsky
Two books by the same author:
The Real Thing
Deidre a dancer.
Neil a lawyer.
Both need time alone as work has gotten to them. They each contact Victoria and she tells them separately that they can use the Maine island for a week.
They both arrive and meet up with the boat captain who will take them to the island. He leaves them at the dock with food. They have nothing in common
and don't get along. Because of her broken leg and his extra long body they both must sleep in the l
Sharon
Apr 12, 2014 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the Victoria Lesser Matchmaker series. It was not my favorite even though I tried to remember that it was written in the 80's and romance novels were very different back then.

Aerobics instructor Deirdre Joyce escapes to a remote island off the coast of Maine to recover from a broken leg and avoid her family as they pressure her to take over the family business. Neil Darcy also escapes to the island after blowing the whistle on his employer, which backfires on him and destro
Gwen
Jul 03, 2016 Gwen rated it it was ok
Kendra
Feb 04, 2014 Kendra rated it liked it
I love Barbara Delinsky. Her books are a guilty pleasure that I thoroughly enjoy. The story lines are often cheesy, the love scenes somewhat hot yet awkward, and the characters always fall in love within a very short timeframe. Yet, it doesn't bother me because I'm not reading to have my mind stretched or to be left thinking about the story hours after I'm finished reading. I read her books because they're the perfect escape from the tedium of life. While I highly doubt I'll ever give one of her ...more
Judy
Jul 07, 2015 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True love

Fantastic! I used whisper sync and enjoyed the story very much. All the characters werewolf defined. I can't wait to read the remaining books in the trilogy.
Pauline Nunes
Jul 25, 2015 Pauline Nunes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great love story

Fairly predictable from the beginning. Two desperate people despising each other and then a complete turnabout. I've seen it many times over.
Patricia Newman
Jul 30, 2015 Patricia Newman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This is a great book for a rainy day. Will keep you turning the pages to find out what happens next. Highly recommend the read.
Edie
Sep 05, 2015 Edie rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-on-cd, in-my-car
Ok. Really don't know why I kept on listening to it. Some of the plot was not plausible...but interesting enough to push through to the end. Typical modern romance...sex happens before love or marriage.
Sharon
Jan 19, 2015 Sharon rated it it was ok
Not as good as most of hers. I like the later books better.
Laura Fultz
Mar 07, 2015 Laura Fultz rated it it was ok
Read for my Romance selection for LIS 528.
Jessie Lalande
Nov 24, 2015 Jessie Lalande rated it liked it
Cute. Easy read.
Barbara Gard
nice story
Jessica
Jul 25, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
This is 80's category romance at its best. The 'career-woman' heroine is an aerobics instructor. I'm rereading all of Barbara Delinsky's backlist right now.
Jackie Simons
Read 11/00
Joann Geissinger
Joann Geissinger rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Yysalinasyahoo.com
Yysalinasyahoo.com rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Stuart Matheson
Stuart Matheson rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Melody
Melody rated it liked it
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
India Jackson
India Jackson marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Ann Miller
Ann Miller rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
J Jacobs
J Jacobs rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
janet scherma
janet scherma rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Alan Leigh-Browne
Alan Leigh-Browne marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
vivian porter
vivian porter rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Alberta Stadler
Alberta Stadler rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2016
Jenny O
Jenny O rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
  • Raging Passion
  • Betrayal in Bali
  • The Women of Primrose Creek (Women of Primrose Creek, #1-4)
  • Bittersweet Passion
  • Private Affairs
  • The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)
  • Pure Temptation
  • The Trophy Wife
  • Private Maneuvers (Hot Zone, #3)
  • The Tranquillity Alternative
  • No More Mr. Nice
  • I, Judas The 5th Gospel
  • Montana Secrets
  • Day of Reckoning (Cascades Concealed #2)
  • Darkroom (Xandra Carrick #1)
  • Kansas City's Bravest
  • Lake Effect
  • Contract Bride (Colby Agency, #8)
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...

Victoria Lesser (3 books)
  • Twelve Across
  • A Single Rose (Victoria Lesser #3)