Fear the Night (Night, #5)

Fear the Night (Night #5)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When night falls, a ruthless sniper terrorizes the streets of New York City. After the killer's next victim is murdered right before his eyes, retired homicide detective Vin Repetto makes it his personal mission to stop this madman dead in his tracks.
Published November 1st 2005 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Fear the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear the Night

Ruth Niles
At the library, looking for a book by Lisa Lutz (not there), I saw this audio book and took a chance. Great story, good reader (always helps), full of action. There's a night sniper who tells the police who the next victim will be, not by name but by the nursery rhyme "rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief, etc." And he still kills them all. Very well written, action and suspense right to the end. I would like to read more books by John Lutz.
Al Canary
It was a fun read, with lots of "backstory" on the characters, but with no clue as to why the killer was so focused on the lead detective...??? Hmmmmm... I guess that this genre doessnt always have to contain plausability. LgGrin
Joe
Fear the Night is an o.k. sniper/serial killer story. Good character development leads to big let down. Rework the ending and I would add a star. As it is, I would say "skip it."
Cathy
10/6/11 Oh, man, I have to set this aside. It is very slow going. Two days and I haven't gotten to page 100 yet. That's not typical of my reading. Nothing against the book otherwise just not moving very quickly through the story. I won't say boring but it's close.

10/9/11 I persevered and finished this book this morning. It was excellently written but could have been considerably shortened. Page count over 480 could have been 100 less and still told the story.

Vin Repetto, retired NYPD serial kill...more
Sharon
Feb 24, 2013 Sharon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: crime, fiction
This book was a disappointment to me, but don't let that stop you if you like this sort of writing. The story was decent but predictable. While I enjoyed listening to it on CD, many things about the writing gave me pause, interupting the flow of the story. It's extremely cliched in every way. Every female is beautiful and described physically in detail. Come on. LAPD? Full of gorgeous women?

This isn't a book for more sophisticated tastes. There are enough awkward adjectives for the reader to ta...more
Cindy Barnett
Reader: Scott Brick gives his usual good reading performance. Serial killer story is interesting but graphic sex & foul language - unnecessary, especially for such a good storyteller.
Jen
Jul 21, 2008 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
I read this book because it was on a shelf at the lodge we stayed at during vacation, and I'd already read the book I brought with me.

Fear the Night was okay, but pretty formulaic. Also, the proofreader should be shot. There was one page in which the word "arugula" was misspelled 3 times, and in 3 different ways. Also, the lead character's daughter's last name was misspelled twice in one paragraph.
Marca
Clare
Just couldn't get into this one for some reason, I kept picking it up and putting it down. I think I'll stick with the other series by the same author.
Kay
There's a pattern to Lutz's books. With a serial killer terrorizing New York City, a retired policeman is hired to set up a task force with two other policemen [or women]. They are always good books, but I do wish he used Frank Quinn for all his books rather than changing the retiree. I suggest you don't read two of his in a row because they blend together!
Luann
I have yet to be disappointed with a John Lutz novel. He's characters are always well developed and believable. While this serial killer was somewhat "tame" in comparison to previous stories, it was still a page-turner from start to finish.
Heather
This was a story with interesting characters and a quick pace. It was good, but it has pretty graphic (and a multitude of) death scenes, and I kept feeling like this was a sequel to a previous book or series, but I don't find any evidence of that.
Becky
This one started out slow but got better as it progressed. I liked Repetto, though all of John Lutz's books seem to have the same characters and the same story lines, just different killers. I still like the Frank Quinn series the best.
Marion Mockridge
Audiobook narrated by Scott Brick: a sniper stalks New York City; chilling and realistic. Compelling. Great ending. Lead detective was disappointing as a crime solver. Women play key rolls in the story. Great ending but no justice.
John Bruening
First book read from John lutz and thoroughly enjoyed it! It was fast paced and kept me near the edge of my seat. I guess that's what any book about a serial killer would do though.
Kathy
This was my first John Lutz book and I thought it was really good. Though some of the shootings got a little repetitive, it was very suspenseful right to the end.
Chad
Not a bad read - not quite police procedural, not quite thriller. Not really a mystery. I'm not sure it falls into a category...was expecting one of the three I guess.
Stunatra
50ish pages in and I can't handle the writer's style anymore. THE guy doesn't have "IT" and doesn't take me away and make me forget I'm reading.
I've only read this book from the series. I enjoyed it, but imagine it would be better in the context of the series and known characters.
Julie
Jul 06, 2010 Julie marked it as books-i-gave-up-on
Recommended to Julie by: Jake Holeman
Shelves: mystery
I figure if a mystery novel doesn't suck me in within 100 pages, it's not worth reading. I gave up on this one.
Ruth
ok. good plot.retired homicide detective Vin Repetto hunts a serial killer that has the city in terror.
Annette
I am a John Lutz fan and his books are just for fun, cop, serial killer kinda stuff.
Marla
This was a good series although they could definitely be read as stand alones.
Renee
Very good and fast-paced.
MM32
MM32 added it
Aug 24, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Aug 21, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Crystal Radefeld
Crystal Radefeld marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Arnel Mostert
Arnel Mostert marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Face of a Killer
  • Final Sins
  • Depth Perception
  • Midnight Rain
  • Final Breath
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • Whitewash
  • At All Costs
  • A Killing Rain (Louis Kincaid, #6)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
  • Now or Never
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • One Cold Night
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2)
  • Beyond Recognition (Boldt/Matthews, #4)
  • Flight (Irene Kelly, #8)
  • Lost Lake
  • Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)
John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--virtually every mystery sub-genre. He is the author of more than thirty-five novels and 25...more
More about John Lutz...
In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2) Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1) Serial (Frank Quinn, #6) Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3) Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)