Gathering Grace

Gathering Grace

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  3 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Gathering Grace is a contemporary novel about a superhero and her arch-enemy of 50 years, and the teenage granddaughter they have in common. Readers join the story when Grace is despondent about her Mom's death - and Grandma Ruth can't help her feel any better. In a moment of crisis, Ruth's nemesis appears -- does it mean disaster for Ruth and Grace? The compromise they ma...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Hanford Mead Publishers

Nathan
Aug 01, 2008 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teen girls, anyone deeling with the loss of a loved one
Recommended to Nathan by: Torrey
There are some basic tropes in the comic book world of super-heroes. One - problems are general solved with violence. Two - characters wear spandex (or similar) outfits. Three - there's a clear line between who the "white hat" and "black hat" are. Victoria Newcomb's delightful and touching young adult novel "Gathering Grace" defies those conventions, and in doing so brings a level of pathos and humanity that others working in the super-hero (or Cape and Cowl) genre could learn from.

How Grace and...more
Jeremy Zimmerman
This book proved to be irresistable, and I found myself tearing through it in just a couple of days. The principal characters are all engaging, their problems easy to relate to, their hurdles heartbreaking, their triumphs heartwarming. I felt like they could leap from the page and would love to spend some time in their company, especially if it involves sitting around in pajamas and eating dragon noodle soup.

The novel steps away from the superhero genre a bit, removing the assumption that anyon...more
Victoria Newcomb
Jul 29, 2008 Victoria Newcomb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Teens and up. Grandmothers seem to love it.
Recommended to Victoria by: Er... I did.
Of course I liked it -- I wrote it! :-)

I learned a lot from this book, most especially how my characters could keep surprising me. I truly had no idea about Kiseki when he first appeared... but I don't want to give anything away!
Tymen
Tymen marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2010
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2010
Stacey B
Stacey B marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2009
Jeannygrey
Jeannygrey marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2009