Start by marking “The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day

The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day

Announcing the wedding bible: the most complete, lively, handholding, step-by-step guide to help every couple have a perfect wedding—no matter their budget, taste, or personalities. More than 2.2 million North American couples tie the knot each year; until now, only a mere fraction could work with celebrity wedding planner Mindy Weiss. But the significant fact is not Ms. W ...more
Published April 17th 2008 by Workman Publishing Company (first published March 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Book

Elizabeth
Aug 27, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brides
Shelves: nonfiction, weddings
The gospel of wedding books. I actually interviewed Weiss a few months ago for a wedding piece and I can see why she is Planner-To-The-Stars. There is something about her voice and tone that makes you really, really relaxed. Suddenly, my deadline meant nothing to me.

Anyway, I also used this book for my own wedding and found it superlative for it's level of detail and scope. The timeline was extremely helpful. In all the other wedding books I noticed that the timelines were vague and unhelpful.
Kelsey
Jan 21, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know a thing about wedding planning. I’ve only been to a handful of weddings and was never in one—not a flower girl, not a bridesmaid, nada—until last year. When I got engaged this New Years (!), I knew I needed help.

I picked up The Wedding Book because it seemed extremely comprehensive. And it was: everything from announcing the engagement to planning your honeymoon to budgeting for extra lighting at the reception. Weiss gives each topic an overview, then breaks down the different opti
Kimberly Ann
Nov 24, 2012 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read as much of this book as I am going to. It helped me for the most part to let me in on things I may not have thought of otherwise. The lists in the back were very helpful for the last month or so before my wedding. There were certain things I wanted answers to and was surprised that the book didn't have them, which was frustrating at times. My only other criticism was that the writer seemed to provide more traditional answers and advice than I wanted-- though she was uncritical about many ...more
Robyn
Jan 07, 2015 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently on page 158 of 452 of a straight read-through, and shortly to be finished. I am reading this book with a pen and pad in hand, literally writing out action plans and task lists as I moved through the text noting ideas and next steps for every part of our wedding. There is more information in the book than I could ever need, and for that, I am so grateful. I feel like I finally understand what is needed and expected for each part of our wedding celebration and what areas are fixed and ma ...more
Kim
Nov 01, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wedding-planning BIBLE. Seriously, my sister is the best MOH for picking this up for me. It goes beyond a checklist, providing images, diagrams, samples, historical facts and stories, and suggestions that go above and beyond anything I would have ever even thought about, yet is still necessary to plan the big day. I'm actually really enjoying this book for its literary quality, if you can believe that - its graphic organizers are great, and the "For Him" stickers are awesome to remind me wha ...more
Laurel
Jun 16, 2008 Laurel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I hope that by borrowing this book, I will take a quiz to find out what kind of a wedding I want, and it will tell me exactly how to create it, without spending any money.

So far the quiz tells me that I am a "novice."

I'm not reading this anymore because it just stresses me out!
I have to think of one thing at once, and Mindy makes me want to create invitations and try on dresses before I even know where the hell the wedding is going to take place. Can I just do the creative things and let someone
Regina
Apr 16, 2014 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUCH a helpful book when it comes to planning a wedding. There was so much information that I honestly didn't know, and I loved how historical and culture traditions were explained and interwoven. I really did feel like there was something for everyone, although many of the recommendations/items were a bit too posh for my blood. I'm sure Miny's clientele are much higher society than I'll ever be, but I appreciated all of the help regardless. I loved the checklists at the back of the book (you be ...more
Erin
Apr 05, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very helpful book to use while planning a wedding. I will say that, many a thing listed in this book seem more traditonal for those who live a wealthier lifestyle and have extra savings to spend on their wedding. But! All of the little planning details and such are the same, and very helpful to be able to read through and organize to further personalize you're own wedding whether it be extravgant or a little more simple. I will also say that I would have been lost if I did not have th ...more
Jessica
Nov 05, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mindy Weiss is a celebrity wedding planner, and so you have to take some of this book with a grain of salt, in terms of etiquette and whatnot. (You do NOT, in my opinion, have to serve alcohol at a wedding). It is so in depth and such a perfect resource. It has pictures of the different trains, sample wedding invitation wording, questions to ask your vendors, a budget worksheet, etc. If you only buy one wedding book, you should buy this one. I didn't buy it and racked up quite a library fine--I ...more
Claire
Jul 03, 2008 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely going to be my number one resource as we plan our wedding this year. Weiss is billed as the "wedding coordinator to the stars," but she's perfectly down to earth. The book is organized in a helpful chronological sequence, and she doesn't assume you have an endless budget. The timeline in the back is detailed and a great way to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. My fiance is already asking who this "she" is I keep referring to (as in "She says..."). Above and beyo ...more
Amanda McGill
Sep 16, 2014 Amanda McGill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Easy to read and follow! I liked the quiz at the beginning and I loved the chart that broke down what percentage of your budget should go to each expense! This would be a great planning book to own since it has contact information that you can fill in as you go. I would of liked a break down of budget sheet included. I will definitely come back to this book later on for more information on the different sections.
Emily K
Aug 18, 2009 Emily K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the ULTIMATE wedding handbook when I was planning my wedding this summer. Mindy Weiss is a very talented, experienced wedding planner for many celebrities, so when I saw her book, I trusted the book at first glance! It was the BEST go-to guide and covered many topics and issues that might arise if you are planning your wedding without hiring a planner. HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!
Oct 25, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
V. comprehensive, which is exactly what I - who knew little to none about the intricacies of wedding planning (obviously, or I would have eloped..) - needed. As could be foreshadowed by the authors' names, chuppahs are mentioned on every other page, but they certainly give at least lip service to all varieties of weddings. The timeline is great. For a budget, go with a GoogleDocs template. Mazel Tov!
Colleen
Jun 01, 2011 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book cover to cover. While I didn't finish the entire book that way, I thought it had a lot of good information for brides planning a wedding, regardless of the type of wedding you wanted to have. I would recommend this book to any bride, especially one doing their own wedding planning.
Erin Nudi
Aug 23, 2012 Erin Nudi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
This is *the* wedding book. You don't need another wedding book.

You are walked through every step of the process, including questions to ask vendors, budget breakdowns, every possible option for every choice you have to make, and there are interesting tidbits about the history behind the customs along the way.
Kristin Poley
Jan 18, 2016 Kristin Poley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a tremendous help for me while planning my wedding. A lot of the information didn't apply to me but the information that did really made things easier. She knows everything and thought of things I never would have. There are also a lot of little wedding fun-facts included that made reading it fun.
Mandy Londer
Jan 12, 2014 Mandy Londer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I bought three books for planning my wedding and this was my favorite by far. Tons of useful information and tons of information you won't need (like ceremonies for various religions) but the headings are extremely clear and it's easy to skip over the stuff that does not pertain to your wedding.

This is definitely an all in one book an the only one you need!
Charlene
Mar 24, 2009 Charlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading four other wedding planning books, this was by far the best and most thorough! I have 5 months until my wedding and will STILL be referring to it for its tips, helpful hints, and checklists!
Erin
Jun 27, 2008 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a writing contest for InStyle magazine - it arrived after we got married, but is still fun to look through. It's a little overwhelming though. I think I could write a much better book!!
Karen
Apr 08, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
I didn't actually ever finish it - it was too long! But it does have some good wedding tips. You do have to ignore some of the rich and famous stuff (unless you are rich and famous). But good for tips on all kinds of details.
Amanda Pearl
Sep 03, 2014 Amanda Pearl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bir-2014, wedding
there's a lot of great advice in here. sometimes I wish it went into more detail especially with legal/contractual matters. still I am glad I spent money on this I'm sure I will continue to reference it as my wedding gets closer.
Lindsay Elliott
Nov 07, 2015 Lindsay Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely useful book that breaks down all the aspects you could think of for a wedding. It makes it a little less stressful to have everything laid out in front of you, almost like having a personal wedding planner to provide advice when you most need it!
Christa
Jan 16, 2013 Christa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is someone who is used to planning big budget celebrity weddings. I needed a dictionary to understand some of the terms. It was overwhelming to sit down and read the whole book. Better to read the section I was working on at the time.
Carla
Jan 12, 2011 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for every step of wedding planning. Of all the books I read on wedding planning, I think this was the most helpful. I plan to purchase it for all of my friends as soon as they get engaged!
Adeli
Feb 23, 2009 Adeli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ITs Great!!! What a book to add to this, huh!?!?! Its got great tips on every single detail, from sketches of bridal dress silohuettes to various traditions on every kind of religious ceremony and how to combine them and etiquette on everything!!!
Andrea
Aug 24, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book was informative, & the ideas in it really could be scaled down to fit any budget. I found the timelines & lists very helpful. I haven't finished it because our wedding plans changed, but I would recommend it to engaged couples.
Jessica
Jan 27, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a necessity when planning our wedding. It has all the answers to the million questions that arise during the planning process.
Jennifer Yost
Nov 11, 2012 Jennifer Yost rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HIGHLY, highly recommend this book for any bride to be. Everything you could possibly need is in this thing. I took it with me everywhere.
Brittany
May 16, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my bible when I was planning my wedding. I didn't need any other books. There was so much I didn't realize I didn't know, especially in the etiquette department.
Heidi
Feb 25, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book demystifies the wedding planning industry and helps you navigate planning, dealing with vendors, and getting the wedding YOU want.
  • The Knot Book of Wedding Lists
  • Bridal Bargains, 8th Edition: Secrets to throwing a fantastic wedding on a realistic budget (Bridal Bargains: Secrets to Throwing a Fantastic Wedding on a Realistic Budget)
  • The Wedding Ceremony Planner: The Essential Guide to the Most Important Part of Your Wedding Day
  • A Practical Wedding: Creative Ideas for Planning a Beautiful, Affordable, and Meaningful Celebration
  • Manga Mania Chibi and Furry Characters: How to Draw the Adorable Mini-Characters and Cool Cat-Girls of Manga
  • The Adobe Photoshop CS6 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
  • Offbeat Bride: Taffeta-Free Alternatives for Independent Brides
  • The Bridesmaid Guide: Etiquette, Parties and Being Fabulous
  • Shaken, Not Stirred
  • Get Your Own Damn Beer, I'm Watching the Game!: A Woman's Guide to Loving Pro Football
  • Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less
  • His Princess Bride: Love Letters from Your Prince
  • Japanese Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebooks)
  • Life Application Study Bible: New King James Version
  • Astrology Through a Psychic's Eyes
  • Chicken Soup for the Bride's Soul: Stories of Love, Laughter and Commitment to Last a Lifetime (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Dreamer's Dictionary