Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie, Vol. 1)

Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Magic Trixie doesn't understand why no one will take her seriously! First, she's not allowed to do anything fun, while her baby sister gets away with everything, and then she needs to come up with a trick that's really special to impress her friends. Luckily Trixie has the best plan ever. . . .
Published July 22nd 2008 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2008)

Dracula by Bram StokerGods of The Nowhere by James TipperThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Shining by Stephen KingFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Best Books to Read for Halloween!
105th out of 301 books — 430 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamBone by Jeff Smith
Eisner Award Winners
102nd out of 117 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Betsy
You know how you'll be prepared to dislike something and then, through no fault of your own, you are forced to take a close and in-depth look at the very thing you were trying to avoid? Well there was nothing about the cover or premise of Magic Trixie that initially appealed to me. First off, it was being sold as a graphic novel that would appeal to the Babymouse set. And since I am Babymouse faithful, this was not an appealing notion to me. Then to look at it, the book is colorful. Incredibly...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 27, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra & Abigail A.
This one did not charm me. But Trixie’s baby sister having the name Abby Cadabra is enough for an added star. I really enjoyed that name. I guess this would be a good book for kids experiencing sibling rivalry.

But, I kind of hated the artwork and I was mildly amused and touched during a small portion of this story, but overall I didn’t enjoy it. If it hadn’t been such a fast read I wouldn’t have finished it.

For kids who like the art and this type of story, I’m sure it’s a hit.

Except for Peanuts...more
Brandi
I found this book in my mom's classroom the other day and decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a very funny read; Trixie has a bright and poignant character, and everything she does is believable. I liked the modern setting blended with a magical atmosphere. Trixie's classmates are also very well-rounded; you just have to love the twins! =)

I would have given this book five stars, except for a few minor setbacks. The first occurs in the first few pages of the book; when Trixie comes down...more
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Magic Trixie. / Jill Thompson. / 2008.

Genre: Juvenile Graphic Novel - Fantasy.

Format: Book - print. 96 pages.

Plot summary:
"Magic Trixie looks for some special magic to bring in to show-and-tell to impress her friends, but her family keeps telling her that she is too young to use any of their magic, while her baby sister gets away with everything" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
new sibling, show-and-tell, middle school monsters, j...more
Brianna
Jill Thompson's comic book introducing none other than the main character of Magic Trixie, a spunky little witch and her cat Scratch, as they dance through life with friends at family. Magic Trixie belongs to a family of witches, running a restaurant called Elixer, which is in the first floor of her house. She goes to "Monsterstorri" School with her fellow monster classmates. It is an absolutely darling story with such inventive characters, a treasure in the graphic novels to read aloud and shar...more
Mary Ann
Magic Trixie is a little witch who has growing pains just like all kids. At home, she's frustrated that she can't do anything fun, while her baby sister gets away with everything. And then at school, all her friends seem to have the coolest tricks to share. So when her teacher tells them it's share and tell day, Magic Trixie knows she has to find a really special trick to impress all her friends.

Magic Trixie is bursting with color, action and emotion. The illustrations are bright and energetic,...more
Tessa
Every. Single. Page. of this children's graphic novel is filled with full color reproductions of Jill Thompson's watercolor illustrations. Holy Gosh are they gorgeous. And the story is light and cute--in a city somewhat resembling New York or Chicago but with monster denizens and other cute/creepy touches, Magic Trixie and her family live above their cafe. I would guess that Magic Trixie is maybe 6 or 7 years old. She's very excitable and wants nothing more than to learn more magic and impress h...more
Cody
Fun book, even FUNNER, (sic), author. She signed my book for my son and we all had a 10 minute conversation about organic cat-food. I love this lady and Trixie is one heck of a protagonist. The artwork and intoxicating colors elevate this book like nobody's bizz.
Danica Midlil
As a long-time fan of Happy Birthday, Little Witch (Step into Reading, Step 2) by Deborah Hautzig and all things magical from a very young age, I would have flipped my lid had this series been around when I was in elementary school. As it is, I still might need to own them all...soon.
I love the hipster elements of Trixie's family: Dad has long black hair and a goatee, Grandma wears chic chunky black glasses and chunky green jewelry, and older cousin Tansy has hip purple pigtails. It's all very 1950's meets punk rock. Colorful! (I think Jill Thompson might secretly lo...more
Amy
Oh, Magic Trixie... What to say about Magic Trixie? My niece liked this book, and said it was just as good as Chi's Sweet Home, and I will admit that it's a fun, unique, cute, often humorous story. I really thought that the illustrations in this one were rather fabulous, too.

While I liked this story, I don't think I really liked Trixie herself all that much. She was annoying, and a little bit of a trouble maker, I thought. Or maybe she was just a spastic little (witch) girl, not unlike some litt...more
Caleb
Given how many hundreds of pages of comics Thompson has already produced featuring a frizzy-haired witch and various supernatural characters, I didn't think she would have too much new to say in this newer series about a little witch going to monster school.

Oh how wrong I was.

Thompson fills the book with one inventive character after another, and perhaps because of the younger audience it's created for, the narrative is much more tightly focused and effective than her Scary Godmother stuff.
Her...more
Dolly
Mar 22, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read graphic novels
This is an irreverent take on a preteen witch's day, filled with magic and monster friends. Perfect for the preteen set, this book depicts Trixie in common everyday settings, eating meals with her family, getting to school, doing chores, but all with a magical twist. The illustrations are colorful and detailed (loved the sign for Monsterssori School) and the dialogue is fairly sparse, allowing the pictures to tell much of the story.

Our girls read this very quickly and really enjoyed it. I enjoy...more
Kaethe
Magic Trixie is a witch in preschool in a hip, haunted city. Her best friend is a Frankenstein's monster, there are twin vampires, a mummy, and a werewolf in her class, which is taught by a ghost. The whole thing is freaking adorable, from Trixie's little black kitten, to her bed canopy, to the bright colors, to the wacky grandparents.

I'll be following this series with glee, and pushing them on Tasha after I've finished each one.

Library copy.
Natalie
Trixie is your typical big sister agonizing over the loss of attention since losing her "only child" status.

Well, she's not that typical, she's a pink-haired witch that lives in a cafe with her family and a cat named Scratches.... and she goes to "Monstersorri" School. Her best friend Stich is a mini Frankenstein (and he wears sandals)..
she also goes to school with a super cute Mummy named Nefi and a "catty" Werewolf.

Emily
How cute! Magic Trixie and her friends go to Monstersorri school, and it's the week of show-and-tell. Magic Trixie wants something extra-special to show, but she is told she's too young for everything interesting at her house. Trixie is great, her classroom of friends are fun, (don't think too hard about what the vampire twins are drinking at lunchtime!) and her family is a scream. A fun read, great for kids.
Jill
Fun graphic novel, especially for girls. even though Magic Trixie is a witch, she has everyday problems to deal with--what to bring for show and tell and a baby sister everyone fawns over. these two problems resolve neatly together and Trixie realizes that she is a great big sister. Read this aloud to K and B--have to get the next one for K.
carissa
Recommended Ages: grades 3-5

Scottsdale Public Library
Junie B. Jones meets Harry Potter! This sweet story about a sassy young witch named Trixie, her cat Scratches, and all her paranormal friends is perfect for beginning readers. Like it? Check out the other books in the Magic Trixie series as well. They are all beautifully illustrated and sure to please! -Lindsey D.-

Kirsten
The Magic Trixie books are adorable, fun reading. Trixie is a young witch who can't wait to grow up and be able to do all the kinds of magic her family can do. The artwork is adorable and sparkles with energy, and the stories are funny and well told.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I m completely charmed by Jill Thomspon's delightful depictions of Trixie and her magical world. While the story or sibling rivalry and trying to do grownup things is more for a younger audience, the expressions and characters are great to watch.
Andi
Oct 20, 2008 Andi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids, comics lovers
A super cute graphic novel for kids. Will Magic Trixie be able to overcome her annoying family--especiall her baby sister, Abby Cadabra--and come up with a unique show and tell? I'll never tell. Wonderful, dynamic illustrations.
Adrienne Furness
"You're the most specialist person I know! You are warm to sleep on, and you let me climb up your pants leg and sit on the hood of your sweater!"
-Scratches the cat, speaking for all cats everywhere
Stacy268
A visual explosion with a sweet story about how it sometimes stinks to be a big sister. Thompson's signature bright hues make this a treat to look at. A step up for the Babymouse fans in your lives.
Stacy
Excellent story to share with my 7 year old daughter! The story was cute, the artwork was fantastic and they combined to make me a new fan. We'll definitely check out the rest of the series!
paula

Yum! Magic Trixie is the sour gummie eyeball in my Halloween candy stash!
Kathy
A very cute kids graphic novel. Jill Thompson's art is whimsical & her characters fun. I want the power to magically change my hair color!
Deborah
Great pictures - loved Harry Potter, but not so excited about Magic Trixie - just a little more of an exploration of Jill Thompson's work.
Dru
thompson has a beautiful and unique art style, and it really brings trixie, her family and her classmates to life. cant wait for more!
Colby Sharp
Loved this early graphic novel about a little witch girl that hates having a little sister and doesn't know what to bring to show and tell.
Jason
Lively illustrations, cute jokes, great characters. I love Thompson's stuff in general, but this is looking to be a great series!
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 2: What Makes You Happy (Amelia Rules! #2)
  • Tiny Titans, Vol. 2: Adventures in Awesomeness
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
  • Korgi Book 2: The Cosmic Collector (Bk. 2)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • Owly, Vol. 2: Just a Little Blue
  • The Courageous Princess
  • Flight Explorer, Volume 1
  • Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
Jill Thompson is an American comic book writer and illustrator. Probably best known for her work on Neil Gaiman's Sandman characters and her own Scary Godmother series, she has also worked on The Invisibles, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman and more recently, Beasts of Burden.

More about Jill Thompson...
The Little Endless Storybook Death: At Death's Door Delirium's Party: A Little Endless Storybook The Dead Boy Detectives Scary Godmother: Omnibus