Songs for the Songs of Birds

Songs for the Songs of Birds

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Poems selected by the Author on the theme of birds, birding and flight.

The work of a much loved Canadian birding poet Songs for the Songs of Birds celebrates the way birds "articulate the air" and considers what the world would be without them. Narrated by the Author, the soundtrack features bird song recordings identified to species. Listen to poetry while learning bird...more
Audio CD or Download
Published March 24th 2008 by Rattling Books

Donna Brown
For quite a few years I lived with an avid birdwatcher and we are still friends now. So I am used to both birdwatchers and birdwatching and whilst I haven’t pursued the hobby, my interest in our feathered friends hasn’t left me.

I rarely review poetry but I do enjoy it and this title really called out to me. I loved the idea of a combination of the beauty of words and the beauty of birdsong. I was wary though; this was dangerous ground after all. What if the words were no match for the beauty of...more
Janet Russell
The intimacy of this recording combined with the field recordings of birds create a complex experience. Very interesting to hear the author's asides on some of the poems.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2010
Mathieu
Mathieu marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2010
Don McKay is an award-winning Canadian poet, editor, and educator.

McKay was educated at the University of Western Ontario and the University of Wales, where he earned his PhD in 1971. He taught creative writing and English for 27 years in universities including the University of Western Ontario and the University of New Brunswick.

In June 2007, he won the Griffin Poetry Prize for Strike/Slip (2006)...more
More about Don Mckay...
VIS a VIS: Field Notes on Poetry & Wilderness Strike/Slip Camber Another Gravity Apparatus