Start by marking “How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life” as Want to Read:
How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life

How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  23 reviews
As a young speechwriter in the Reagan White House, Peter Robinson was responsible for the celebrated "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" speech. He was also one of a core group of writers who became informal experts on Reagan -- watching his every move, absorbing not just his political positions, but his personality, manner, and the way he carried himself. In How Ronald R ...more
Published July 6th 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life

Jim Ambrosini
This was one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time.
Not a memoir, but, as the author puts it, a primer - a primer on the leadership principles and personal qualities of one of the greatest American presidents of our time. Peter Robinson answers the question ' How did Ronald Reagan Do It? - how did a man with humble origins and no formal education in law or politics set America on one of the most prosperous tracks in our modern history, while bringing down the once feared Soviet Un
Peter
This was actually a very good book! Like many, I dismissed Reagan as an amiable dunce, but after reading Robinson's book, I've changed my mind, at least somewhat.
Robinson was hired right our of university to be speech writer for the VP, but somehow he went to work for Reagan in the White House.
It is more of a look back by a much more mature man, telling the story of his earlier self. In laying out the various ways that Reagan changed his life, he sheds light on Reagan, his personality, work eth
Dale
A book about character and Ronald Reagan. If I recommend a self-help book to anyone, this is the book.

Peter Robinson was a young speechwriter for the Reagan White House. He lays out his days at he White House and what life lessons he learned from the fortieth president. If you never heard of Ronald Reagan then reading this book will introduce you to an incredible man. If you remember Ronald Reagan then you will learn more and be that much more admired of the man who represented so much more.
Brian C Albrecht
I can't speak highly enough about this book. I first listened to the audiobook for a class project. Peter Robinson's conversational style and insight into so many topics required that I read the whole book. After driving to a library 40 minutes away I had the book.
Finished in no time, the book is everything a young man like myself could want in a book. The history of the Reagan years is brief but insightful. It reflects on Reagan's life. A man at the end of his life, Reagan has so much to teach
Stephen
I remember hearing about this book when it first came out and thinking "Great. Another book saying how great Reagan was that people will write off as hero worship by Republicans." On a recent Ricochet podcast, the hosts mentioned how to get a free audiobook from audible.com and that Robinson's book was read by him, with audio excerpts of Reagan where he is quoted. Since I've become an admirer of Robinson's through Uncommon Knowledge, I decided I'd use my freebie to download this book. Robinson h ...more
Garry Wilmore
The author was one of President Reagan's speechwriters, and I read this book sometime around April of 2004, which proved to be timely because the former President passed away in June of that year, shortly after I finished the book. Reagan had what we might call a charmed life; it was long, well and completely lived, and spectacularly successful, too. The keys to his success were, to a very large degree, his character and temperament, which the author studied carefully and summarized in the chapt ...more
Gil
This book is fantastic. I read this book to get ideas for my graduation speech, and it didn't work, but it did get me thinking about speeches in general. I really enjoy reading and listening to conservative thinkers who are intellectually impressive.

I am totally moderate and it seems some of the most heartening, humanistic, and empathetic writers are on the left. So I really enjoy when a conservative can move me to tears.

Robinson did just that. Robinson documents Reagan's tenure through his sp
Tracie Davis
Fantastic read!!
Martha Ware
I picked up this book because I didn't know a thing about Ronald Reagan and wondered why people talked about the guy like he was God or something. This author does just that. I guess he is God. Hmmm. Lots to ponder here.

No, but seriously, he sounds like a kind man, and actually was a very remarkable (and unlikely) president. Makes me want to read his bio as well as his wife's.
Courtney Stockstill
After reading this book you want to try to be more like Ronald Reagan. It also, makes you believe that he was just a normal person like most all of us, and most of the things he did, we can each do as individuals. The book is very inspirational.
Ryan
Jan 19, 2009 Ryan is currently reading it
A quick and easy read - contains some great "behind the scenes" anecdotes about Reagan. Also is instructive as Robinson re-tells how his young life was shaped by his time working for Reagan and experiencing the twists and turns of life itself.
Nancy
Peter Robinson was one of President Reagan's speech writers. He shares life changing principles from President Reagan that he adopted for his own life. President Reagan certainly was a disciplined, decisive man. A great presidetn
Candy
Endearing portrayal of Reagan the man. Peter Robinson writes in an engaging, rather chatty and conversational style about someone he unabashedly adored. It's a mix of Robinson's life and Reagan's with many memorable stories.
Coleen
Sometimes I couldn't stop laughing. Robinson is after all, a comedic writer. Superb analysis of what made the Great Communicator great. Plus he shows us how to scrutinize our heroes in order to emulate their best qualities.
Thomas
From the man who wrote the "Tear Down this Wall" speech Reagan is so famous for. This book gives insight into the man that is quite valuable to anyone who wants to know more about the Reagan Years. Very well written.
Teegan
Given to me as a gift. Haven't known a whole lot about Reagan and appreciated the personal insights from one of his speechwriters.
Lynn
I have to admit I found this portrayal of Ronald Reagan inspiring and even brought a tear to my eye at its most poignant pages.
Renee
Loved it. Quick read, unique view of Ronald Reagan through the eyes of a man who wrote many of his speeches.
Cynthia
I love this book, and would recommend it to every young person (18+), especially young men.
Todd
The title originally turned me off, but this is one of the best books I have ever read...
Wendi Pilling
Ronald Reagan is one of my heroes after reading this book. Very inspiring.
Allison
I listened to this on audio, but who doesn't love a little Ronnie?
Jack D. Riner
It had a good few anecdotes, but overall was somewhat superficial.
Mordechai Smith
Mordechai Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Ashley Bednar
Ashley Bednar marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Sharon Faith
Sharon Faith marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Reagan, in His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
  • Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism
  • Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader
  • A Matter of Character: Inside the White House of George W. Bush
  • George and Laura: Portrait of an American Marriage
  • The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush
  • I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan
  • Zachary Taylor (The American Presidents, #12)
  • The Age of Reagan: The Conservative Counterrevolution: 1980-1989
  • The Unfinished Presidency: Jimmy Carter's Journey to the Nobel Peace Prize
  • Founding Father: Rediscovering George Washington
  • A World Transformed
Peter M. Robinson is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, where he writes about business and politics, edits Hoover's quarterly journal, the Hoover Digest, and hosts Hoover's vidcast program, Uncommon Knowledge.

Robinson is also the author of three books: How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life (Regan Books, 2003); It's My Party: A Republican's Messy Love Affair with the GOP, (Warner Books, 2000)
More about Peter M. Robinson...
Snapshots From Hell: The Making Of An MBA It's My Party: A Republican's Messy Love Affair with the GOP The Dance of the Comedians: The People, the President, and the Performance of Political Standup Comedy in America Ronald Reagan: A Life in Photographs Time Series with Long Memory