Start by marking “Semester Pertama di Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Semester Pertama di Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #1)
Preview

Semester Pertama di Malory Towers (Malory Towers #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  8,562 ratings  ·  306 reviews
DARRELL RIVERS mulai bersekolah di Malory Towers sekolah berasrama di tepi pantai, khusus untuk anak perempuan, di mana tenis dan renang merupakan kegiatan utama. Dengan cepat ia bisa menyesuaikan diri, memperoleh beberapa teman baru, termasuk Alicia yang nakal tapi cerdas dan gemar melakukan berbagai muslihat untuk menjebak guru-gurunya. Tetapi dalam semester pertamanya D ...more
Published 1995 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1946)

CLM
Oct 19, 2008 CLM rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lisa, Abigail, my nieces
I know I am not the only one whose love of boarding school stories began with this series! I embraced Darrell and Sally and their adventures at Malory Towers, despite their anti-American bias, and longed for midnight feasts, adventures in field hockey, uniforms, and tuck boxes. In fact, my sister and I used to play "boarding school," (we also played "orphans," which my mother found very amusing) wearing black skirts, white shirts and black velvet ties around our necks. My mother had Blyton's Adv ...more
Lisa Vegan
Nov 18, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls & women who enjoy coming of age stories and boarding & British school stories
Recommended to Lisa by: CLM
I was fortunate to find out about this series (this is the first book in a 6 book series) because of one Goodreads friend, and thanks to another Goodreads friend was able to purchase the six book series for less than the cost of mailing. I’m really happy to have them. It’s going to take some discipline on my part to wait to read the next five until I’ve read some other books further up in my queue.

I guess the plot was formulaic and the girls were all a “type” but I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Kenza
i loveee these books :) i love the way that old books were written- as in, how enid blyton wrote them. i love the old covers/editions, they make it seem so much more old-timey. but the new covers are so cute. i'll say the same about the rest of the series. i was REALLY upset when i finished reading the series, and i was really skeptical about reading pamela cox's new ones- i didnt want to- but i tried New Term at Malory Towers and i enjoyed it immensely! since she fit the style of writing to eni ...more
Faye
Storyline

First Term at Malory Towers is the first book in the Malory Towers series. Darrell is going to her new boarding school, and is very excited, but nervous, too! But when she gets to the train station and finds out that a girl called Alicia is looking after her,she feels that she has a friend, already! But can Darrell keep a lid on her temper?

This is a really good book! It's very enjoyable, and also makes you want to read on-- it is full of suspicion! For example, I would think
Wirotomo Nofamilyname
Feb 03, 2011 Wirotomo Nofamilyname rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anak-anak, masa depan kita semua :-) halah
Dibaca dalam rangka baca bareng sesama orang lanjut usia yang merupakan anggota GRI dan pencinta Malory Towers ("MT") :-)

seperti yang lain, saya agak kaget dengan istilah kuno yg dulu memang familiar tp agak jarang terdengar sekarang: cawu, sepur 7, dsb.
dan saya agak kaget begitu menyadari bhw di buku ini, Gwendoline sayang, memang digambarkan cantik dgn rambut keemasannya. pikiran saya kok mbayangkannya berwajah buruk rupa dan gembrot. Ah umur.... :-)

ceritanya? mmmm okelah terutama karena mema
Olivia
this is the series i practically grew up with...
klo anak2 jaman sekarang mulai dengan harry potter, i started my avid reading habit dengan buku2 tulisan ms. blyton... dan malory towers adalah yang terbaik!!!
buku inilah yang pertama kali bikin aku bermimpi... waktu itu sih mimpinya pengen sekolah di sekolah asrama... mimpi yang ga' tercapai karena apparently - according to my parents - sekolah berasrama di indonesia ga' seperti di inggris (ya iyalaaaaah)...
lalu buku ini juga yang pertama kali mem
Nikki
As with a few other books I've reviewed before, I'm rating this with the feelings I had for it at the time, not by any means an objective judgement on it as an adult! I used to devour Enid Blyton's work, despite being aware of the at times icky implications (racism, Anglo-centrism, sexism, classism, etc). There was something about it, something nostalgic. It was a midnight feast in its own way.

Anyway, Darryl was probably my favourite of all Blyton's schoolgirls. I don't remember much about it no
Shinjini
I’m on an Enid Blyton binge for some time now. It started with The Famous Five series and now I've given the five a break and shifted to Malory Towers, one of the two boarding school series written by her. Malory Towers is a series of six novels based on a fictional boarding school of the same name, located in Cornish.

The first book in the series introduces us to the protagonist, Darrell Rivers. In the beginning, the reader comes to know of Darrell’s expectations from her time in Malory Towers.
Yellowoasis
I read this book because I heard a fabulous recording of a talk about Enid Blyton from Seven Stories. It’s interesting to me how Blyton has been rehabilitated in the world of children’s literature. Indeed, when I ordered this book up from the stacks of Auckland Public Library the librarian smiled wryly and said, when I was a new librarian, these books weren’t allowed. Plus ça change. I loved Malory Towers as a youngster. So I was a bit dubious about reading the book after all these decades. I lo ...more
Miranti
my first encounter with Malory Towers the series. I read my sister's book, then i fell in love with the characters..
Darrel, the smart but sometimes can be hot-tempered. Usually, the series were written from her perspective.
Sally, the wise and mature one
Mary-Lou, the sweet and kind girl
Gwendoline, the spoilled one (oops)
Alicia, the class-clown and the queen of tricks
Betty, Alicia's partner-in-crime
Irene, music is her middle name
Belinda, the creative one, very good at drawings
Felicity, Darrel's li
Dayna

The first book in the Malory Towers series. When I was younger, I’d always wondered what these books were like, because I could never get my hands on them. I loved Blyton’s other boarding school series at St Clare’s, and thought this might be of a similar quality.

This was a good introduction to the series, but did give me the indication that I was not going to enjoy these books like I did the St Clare’s series, which I still will quite happily reread on occasion.

The characters are a little bit d
Aida
Just read first chapter. It's good enough.
Marchel
Duluuu... baca buku ini tanpa pernah tahu siapa itu Enid Blyton.

Waktu kuliah, buku ini 1 set beserta St. Clare 1 set sengaja diungsikan ke Bandung untuk teman bacaan di kala bosan. Sebuah keputusan yang sangat kusesalin hingga sekarang, karena semuanya tertinggal di sana. T____T

Sekarang waktu kerja, kaget tak tersangka-sangka ternyata banyak juga yg suka n punya buku ini. Alhasil, sengaja kupinjam dan kubaca ulang.

Malory Towers, adalah sekolah asrama khusus gadis-gadis berusia 12-18 tahun (mengh
Harun Harahap

Reka Kejadian, jika ada persamaan nama dan karakter tokoh, itu memang disengaja

Malam itu, setelah menghadiri sebuah peluncuran buku di kawasan Kemang,saya, ayu, mute dan buzenk pergi ke Blok M Square untuk menjelajahi lantai bawah pusat perbelanjaan itu dalam rangka mencari buku yang menarik hati untuk dibeli. Karena saya tidak mendapatkan sebuah buku yang saya inginkan, maka kita beranjak menuju Gramedia Melawai.

Saat berputar mengelilingi lantai penuh harta karun itu, tibalah saya dan mute berh
Alison
I've borrowed this book from my niece, who is an avid reader and has read this series countless times. I last read them when I was about 10 - nevertheless the characters came flooding back once I started reading. I love the way that none of the girls are perfect and Gwendoline, the most irritating girl, gets her comeuppance! There's a lot of emphasis on girls achieving a lot and having high expectations of themselves and taking responsibility for their decisions - all to be encouraged. I expecte ...more
Kirsti
I discovered Malory Towers long after Enid Blyton had first tempted me into her child like worlds. I adored Famous Five and Secret seven, but somehow never came across this series. I loved it! I think I was about sixteen when I read my first Malory Towers book, but I wasn't too old to not enjoy the story. I'd wanted to go to an Enid Blyton type school for a long time, due to the St Clare's books, but I think this series is a cut even above those delights. Darrel has a major fault; her wicked tem ...more
Caylee
I loved this book as a child, in fact, I loved the whole damn series. The books were fun, exciting and interesting for me. They made me wish I could go to boarding school, and meet lots of wonderful friends like the lot at Malory Towers. Of coarse I understood that I would not have enjoyed actual boarding school but those book half convinced me that I would have. The characters are great and the plot is good. The series is a classic and I recommend it to any young girls looking for a new series ...more
Jasmine "Geoffery Crescent" Woods
Personally my favourite Blyton series, the Malory Towers books always evoked a sort of warm fuzzy sense of what life would have been like in a 1940s boarding school, except of course when Gwendoline was being too rotten for words, and then I, like Darrell, probably would have given her a good slapping. Well rounded characters, excellent plot, (ooh why is Sally pretending she doesn't have a sister when we know full well she does!) and if the prose is a little old fashioned at times, well that jus ...more
Haniva Az Zahra
Kembali dengan serial dari Enid Blyton. Seorang sahabat sepertinya tidak selesai-selesai merasa aneh, mempertanyakan, mengapa ya saya membaca buku-buku Enid Blyton di usia sekarang ini?
Jawabannya ada beberapa, salah satunya saya butuh bahan refreshing dengan buku cerita ringan. Kedua, salah akan menjadi school psychologist yang bercita-cita memiliki sekolah asrama, atau minimal sekolah saja. Ketiga, saya memang senang dengan Enid Blyton dan baru mampu menelusuri karya-karyanya yang lain selain L
risha
I fell down the rabbit hole on Twitter yesterday, talking about my #blytonchildhood and whinging about all these new (hideous) covers. I know, I know; I'll be shouting at children and being a curmudgeonly old person any minute now.

I used to love Enid Blyton so much and she's such a big part of my childhood- even now, I look back at these books with such fondness and warmth. I don't have any of my old copies anymore (I don't think I have any of my things from childhood, actually) but I'm going to
AJ
(Read this review and more at Pretty Bookmarks)

Oh Malory Towers, how I adore you so.

I’ve grown up reading Enid Blyton, and though I know of the issues when it comes to Blyton’s work I have to say I read Malory Towers without any of that in mind. I’ve never read Malory Towers before growing up, so this was fairly exciting for me. I’m a huge fan of boarding school books so naturally I went into this with a lot of expectations and Blyton delivered.

Malory Towers is a boarding school and it centers a
Karthik
When my father got me lot of second hand Enid Blyton books, a Malory Towers books happened to be one of them. The idea did not appeal to me at all - why would an Indian boy want to read about the life at British girls' hostel? But somehow I ended up reading and I fell in love with this series. I picked up this particular book in the series later when I was in college - I really loved it. And now many more years later revisiting this series - still loving it. There is something warm and fuzzy abo ...more
Xyra
I found this at a bookstore in London during my first trip overseas and fell in love. The next time I was in England I bought what the store had on the shelf, but have holes in my collection.

What can happen to a girl when she heads off to boarding school? A lot. A good story and fun read. The rest in the series are just as good.
Maria M. Elmvang
Enid Blyton was one of my favourite authors when I was a child, so I thought I'd probably like them, even if they are children's books... and I definitely did! I think I read all 6 of them in just 3 days. I love boarding school books, and despite occasionally being too *good* for words, these really were quite good.
Vickie Ramage
Like most readers, I first read Enid Blyton's books as a child, and loved them dearly. I can't begin to guess at how many reads by beloved battered copy of The Faraway Tree went through, and I also love The Wishing Chair and many of her other books. However, I never read The Famous Five, St Clare's or Malory Towers, choosing to stick with more fantastical stories.

Of course, reading the first Malory Towers book now, not only as a much older person (not that old, I'm still in my 20s!), I do see th
Becky Wicks
I wanted to go to boarding school and have midnight feasts with my friends because of this series. It might be dated now but it's a great reminder of how a story about a girl's school doesn't all have to be about trashy whores and secret flings with teachers. God bless the way things were.
Jul
This is one of my favourite series when I was growing up. The different antics of the students at Malory Towers brought me so much fun and joy. Enid Blyton is an amazing author and she's probably the reason why I fell in love with reading.
Yoandiansari
You never know til you try to live in a real boarding school. How Enid Byton descripe live in boarding school really make you wanna try it...
Samriddhi
Omigosh!!
its great a fantastic book
a lovely 1
really
love this
I think I am like Darrel Waters short tempered
love this one
lol
katie
Should I be embarrassed to admit I loved this at 26 just as much as I did at ten? Because I did. And I'm not. :)
First term at Malory Towers 18 79 Oct 21, 2014 04:33PM
  • New Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #7)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • The Naughtiest Girl Marches On (The Naughtiest Girl, #10)
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • A Bad Spell for the Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #3)
  • Do You Know Pippi Longstocking?
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

Malory Towers (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Second Form at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #2)
  • Third Year at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #3)
  • Upper Fourth at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #4)
  • In the Fifth at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #5)
  • Last Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #6)
  • New Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #7)
  • Summer Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #8)
  • Winter Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #9)
  • Fun and Games at Malory Towers  (Malory Towers, #10)
  • Secrets at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #11)
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)