Start by marking “Preparing for Jesus: Meditations on the Coming of Christ, Advent, Christmas, and the Kingdom” as Want to Read:

In Preparing for Jesus, best-selling author and master storyteller Walter Wangerin Jr. recreates verbal images of the events surrounding the Advent of Christ, offering a devotional journey into the heart of the Christmas season. Through rich detail and vivid images, these moving meditations make Christ's birth both intimate and immediate, allowing us to see Christmas from ...more
Published October 18th 1999 by Zondervan (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Preparing for Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preparing for Jesus

Hope
Nov 30, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the disappointing Watch for the Light by Orbis publishers, I was gun-shy of finding a deep yet meaningful advent book. Wangerin’s book was a wonderful antidote. Not only is he a gifted writer, but he is a deep thinker. Many of the passages in this book left me with my mouth hanging open in sheer amazement at his insights.

The book is divided into sections named after the central characters of the Christmas story: Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, Zechariah, John the Baptist, etc. Each reading focuse
Paul
Aug 21, 2009 Paul rated it it was amazing
Walter Wangerin Jr. has used his wonderful gift writing to give us a series of daily meditations that are a great help in focusing the mind, heart and imagination of the reader on the deepest significance of Christmas. We follow the events of the first Christmas from with scripture accompanied by short writings, poetry and prayer. Wangerin's writing varies between dramatization, exposition and application of the Christmas story to our lives. If you relax and let the author and the Holy Spirit ha ...more
Betsy-Gay Kraft
I can understand why a lot of people like this book. It depends a lot on theology. If you believe that Jesus is God, then you might well enjoy this book. It is pretty well written. But if you believe, as I do, that Jesus is fully human but a channel to God--one who showed by his teachings and life how we can come into communion with God and can allow God to work through us--then this book will not appeal to you.

I was very uncomfortable with most of this text, but I did find some quotes that I l
Evan Hays
Dec 09, 2010 Evan Hays rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
If the seasons of advent, christmastide, and epiphany have grown stale for you at all and you are looking to engage them as true devotional times in the church calendar, try this book. Excellent! You know that WW will always write something of beauty that is from the heart, but this one is also very well researched. Read it next year.
Betsy
Dec 23, 2016 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, christian
What I Like: Advent + Epiphany. Different from other Advent devotionals I've read in a way that really makes me think about this season and meditate. A nice slow read through the portions of Scripture that retell the story. Alternate styles and approaches between the days also help to keep me from surface reading without thinking it through. This is a deep one!
Diane
Jan 03, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: liturgical-year
A beautiful journey through Advent and the 12 days of Christmas to Epiphany. Scripture, song, poetry both ancient and new. Wangerin's language gave me new perspective and insights into the nativity story.
MaryKaye Cochran
I re-read this book this Advent/Christmas season. It is a very moving devotional that helps me to look at the coming of Jesus in totally different ways. I'm so thankful my friend Pam B. gave me a copy years ago!
Curtis J. Correll
Jan 12, 2017 Curtis J. Correll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good Advent Devotional

After loving Wangerin's Reliving the Passion Lenten devotional, I saw this Advent devotional. While not quite as good, this is one of the best such books I have found.
Jess McDonald
Dec 28, 2016 Jess McDonald rated it liked it
I got to about December 20 and realized that this was no longer suitable for family devotions. The description of Jesus' birth had me giggling and feeling a little bit sick at the same time... Let's just say the word "slurping" was utilized! Ha!
Mar
Nov 30, 2014 Mar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Wangerin's writing and like this little book which takes the reader from Advent through Epiphany. One thing I appreciate is the inclusion of the Bible passage at the beginning of each day's meditation so you don't have to keep a separate Bible along side to look up Scripture passages.
Rachael
Dec 07, 2016 Rachael rated it it was amazing
I read this book every year, and look forward to reading it again every year! I love how it journeys through advent and Christmas through the eyes of the people in the story. There are a lot of different styles throughout the thirty-seven days, but I think that adds to the richness of the book.
Kristina
Dec 02, 2014 Kristina rated it liked it
2.5 stars.
We used this book as a family devotional for advent as it was the only one the library had. It was too "advanced" for the younger kids (ages 5 & 3) and a fairly dry overall.
Joanne Heim
Dec 04, 2014 Joanne Heim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book during Advent for many years, but got behind this year(2014) and didnt quite finish. Next year I will stay on track for sure!
Julia Smith-brake
Dec 10, 2015 Julia Smith-brake rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. Manageable chapter length to do every day. Very helpful for reflecting on so many aspects of advent and Christmas.
Amy
Jan 06, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading this book during the Christmas season to keep my heart focused on the true reason we are celebrating. I have learned alot by reading this.
Julie
Dec 31, 2007 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't always understand what Wangerin is saying or the pictures he paints with words, but then sometimes he says something so true that I want to underline and memorize. Much truth in this book.
Beth
Jan 08, 2017 Beth rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful way to walk through Advent and Christmas.
Kirsten
Dec 02, 2012 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kirsten by: Pam Orr
Shelves: christmas, re-read
first read Advent 2012-2013
2nd read Advent 2014
Mar
Dec 01, 2012 Mar rated it liked it
It is good. There is a lot of information packed in a little volume, so readers need to read and reread carefully. That may mean too much time investment for some. I liked the Lent one better.
Janell
Dec 13, 2012 Janell rated it it was amazing
Beautiful prose. Daily readings of advent through epiphany.
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2012
Megan Smallwood
Megan Smallwood rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2013
Janis Blimling
Janis Blimling rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2009
Pam Ryan
Pam Ryan rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Janet
Janet rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Walter Wangerin Jr. is widely recognized as one of the most gifted writers writing today on the issues of faith and spirituality. Starting with the renowned Book of the Dun Cow, Wangerin's writing career has encompassed most every genre: fiction, essay, short story, children's story, meditation, and biblical exposition. His writing voice is immediately recognizable, and his fans number in the mill ...more
More about Walter Wangerin Jr....

“Let heaven intrude upon our earthly affairs to rip our attentions from the world to you again.” 2 likes
“Mindlessly do the bells of secular celebrations jingle for Christmas. Meaninglessly do carols repeat their tinny joys in all the malls in America. No richer than soda pop is every sentimentalized Christmas special on TV. Fearless is the world at play with godly things, because Godless is its heart.” 1 likes