Start by marking “In Brief: Short Takes on the Personal” as Want to Read:
In Brief: Short Takes on the Personal

In Brief: Short Takes on the Personal

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In their previous collection Judith Kitchen and Mary Paumier Jones coined the term "short" for those creative nonfiction pieces — literary rather than informational, and characteristically short — that are attracting our finest writers. Now, with a more introspective focus, this new collection emphasizes the personal as "a way of seeing the world, of expressing an interior...more
Published June 17th 1999 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about In Brief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Brief

Ben Siems
One of several books I've read lately that focuses on the modern phenomenon of extreme brevity in literature. It truly is continually fascinating to experience how much a skilled author can convey in very, very few words.

That being said, this being a collection of very personal creative nonfiction, I found it not quite as dynamic or compelling as similar collections of fiction, such as Flash Fiction.

Still, if not a great read, without question, a good one, and a very good choice to have along wh...more
sla
Standouts:

Nearing 90 - William Maxwell
Long ago, a neighbor in the country looking at our flower garden, said, "Children and roses reflect their care." This is true of the very old as well.
*****
Dealing with the Discovery of Death Inside an Embassy in October of 1973, in Santiago de Chile - Ariel Dorfman

Swimming with Canoes - John McPhee

*****
Stuck with Strangers - Castle Freeman, Jr.
What was served? I'm not sure, but I suspect that these unhurried rural negotiations of suggestion and ad
Nancy
I'm a fan of the Short-Short story. There are many beautiful pieces of work in this anthology that illustrate what very few well-chosen words it takes to show movement in a story. This book is a wonderful expression of how a collection of multiple authors can follow a connected thread as the book unfolds. One idea clearly leads to the next, from story to story. While the author's of the stories should be commended for their work, the editorial decisions concerning order and framing of stories st...more
Gill
“There was a fad in the 90's of very short fictional pieces. This is a collection. Some are quite good. Only a few are terrible.

One of the best is John McPhee's "Swimming with Canoes". It weaves together adventure, suspense, childhood recollection that is both nostalgic and frightening, and a clear description of an ancient technology, all on a few pages. I remember reading his book "The Birch Bark Canoe" 20 or 30 years ago. I don't know if the short piece here was excerpted from that book or n...more
Wendy
There is some interesting work in this collection, but my beef with it is the same as my problem with Kitchen's earlier collection, IN SHORT -- most of these are excerpts, not complete works, so there's no sense of a story arc, or even a completion of thought. These short takes are a nice way to find new writers, then go and seek out their work in its full expression.
Hannah Jane
I was somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. But the last piece, "Artifacts of Memory," pushed me towards 4. Many pieces were so-so, and I'm still not sure if I'm going to chuck this in the give-away pile. Along with "Artifacts of Memory," "Man of Letters" is also a must read.
Emily
I don't believe that any of these short stories or essays is longer than five pages. These are great "Short Takes on the Personal," exquisite examples of brief pieces. My only real complaint is that a few of them end rather tritely.
Tara Acton
"I focus on one hemlock twig, green needles half-penetrating the snow puff upon it. I breathe from my hara, exhailing my breath into the universe. I will know forever this twig. Of all the twigs in the forest, this has been seen."
Michael
The idea of "flash nonfiction" is really cool, and the variety and writing here is a real showcase. Would be very easy to read again and be surprised all over. If you even remotely like creative nonfiction, this is a must have.
Christina
Over 70 very short stories of life as seen through the eyes of imaginative people, this was a decent read. The stories were varied whether they were a hit or a miss, but overall pretty entertaining.
Rachel Pollock
Read this for a class i'm taking this summer in my MFA program, lots and lots of short-form essays, some brilliant, some decent, some crappy. An inspiring overview of short form constructions.
Patricia
Personal essays by well known and not so well known authors. Great book to have in your car or bag to read in waiting rooms or when you are stuck in traffic or on hold.
Jessi
An amazing collections of short essays. I would recommend this to anyone interested in writing nonfiction and memoir.
Jill
Some of them amazing, yes.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
J K
J K marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Gareth
Gareth marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Evan
Evan is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Short Takes: Brief Encounters with Contemporary Nonfiction The House on Eccles Road Half In Shade: Family, Photography, and Fate Distance & Direction The Poet's Guide to the Birds