Start by marking “Short Takes: Brief Encounters with Contemporary Nonfiction” as Want to Read:
Short Takes: Brief Encounters with Contemporary Nonfiction

Short Takes: Brief Encounters with Contemporary Nonfiction

In the years since the perennially popular In Short and In Brief were published, readers have come to delight in the deft focus of the succinct piece we now call The Short. Extending this trend, Short Takes presents over seventy-five writers whose range and style demonstrate the myriad ways we humans have of telling our truths. Themes develop and speak to or collide with o ...more
Published July 17th 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Short Takes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Takes

Amanda
Apr 28, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
Although some of the essays were not my cup of tea, I did enjoy a lot of the essays within this book. Usually, I hate books that professors assign unless they're classics, but this book was really something special. It was a collaboration of all of the most amazing creative nonfiction writers of our time, and I really appreciated it as more than just homework.
Wendy
The best of the anthologies of nonfiction shorties -- which is not a genre I love, but one I have some fondness for. I used it in a 200-level Autobiographical Writing course and my students got a lot out of it. Huge range of work and (for me, teaching at a Tacoma, WA univerity) a delightful emphasis on Northwestern authors. I love that there are more writers from Western WA than from NYC!
Judith Shadford
Oct 15, 2014 Judith Shadford rated it it was amazing
What a marvelous collection of "brief encounters" with a stunning collection of writers and essays. I really think you can't get a better editor than Judith Kitchen. And what was truly breathtaking was how the mini-collections are gathered and then segue into the next little collection: we to I, water flowing throughout the collection, colors, time itself, all circling and expanding, flowing underground and coming down from the sky--water, yes, but the essays themselves.
Thomas Moore
Jun 11, 2014 Thomas Moore rated it really liked it
A really great intro to some fresh voices in nonfiction. The essays in Short Takes range in subject matter and tone; some profane and others profound. But they all have a unique voice.
Karen
Jun 14, 2016 Karen marked it as to-read
Satisfying Quick Reads for Short Attention Spans

Short Takes uses the concept of flash fiction and applies it to non-fiction: true stories told with a constraint on length.
Kate
May 25, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Recommends it for: shad fishers, rural dwellers, imps
Recommended to Kate by: a patron
Shelves: essays
"Insofar as my images of North encode a message, an assumption about life, it is that circumstance is fundamentally adversarial; human relations are difficult; resolution (never mind transcendence) is unlikely; and the best one can do is to keep one's own counsel, hold fast while enduring disappointments and defeats, and accept that the highest human goal is to greet fate with dignified composure."

"Take my name from me and make it a verb. Think of me when you run out of money. Remember me when y
Alison
Mar 17, 2014 Alison rated it liked it
Shelves: essays, cnf
Ok, apparently I'm never, ever going to be able to finish this book. It's been on my "Currently Reading" shelf for, um, ever. Wish I guess is a sign that it's not exactly been calling out to me. However, I remember at least one great piece by Stuart Dybek, lots of great reading overall, and, several instances where I thought it could serve well as a teaching device. However, I still haven't read all of the book. Someday ...?
Maddy Hayes
Aug 18, 2011 Maddy Hayes rated it it was amazing
There was a great selection of nonfiction in the book. I had to read some of it for school, but I ended up finishing the entire thing. Top six favorites:
Brief History of My Thumb by Lucia Perillo
and
Winter Wheat by Anne McDuffie
Melody
Sep 13, 2007 Melody rated it liked it
Uneven but absorbing collection of essays. Standouts include Barbara Hurd's 'Moon Snail' which is well worth the price of admission, and made me vow to find more by her, right away. It put me in mind of Annie Dillard at her grittiest. Also noteworthy was Michael Perry's 'The Big Nap'- visionary, quiet, and revelatory. A collection worth picking up.
Anna
Jun 09, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This is a nice introduction to short nonfiction, if that's a genre you're unfamiliar with. There are some gems and some exceedingly boring pieces. I'd encourage skipping the ones that feel like they drag. Seriously. Few of the stories are over 10 pages; if you're bored in that little time, might as well move on to the next one.
Brad Johnson
Nov 24, 2011 Brad Johnson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a new look at non-fiction.
Recommended to Brad by: Required to read for writing course.
I had to read this book as part of a Creative Non-Fiction class. I wasn't clear as to what "creative non-fiction" is, but I understand now. This book is full of wonderful examples of the genre. I highly recommend giving it a read.
Sonja Livingston
Jan 10, 2010 Sonja Livingston rated it it was amazing
Part of a Kitchen's series of anthologies which showcase diverse approaches to the brief essay. A collections of little gems, a must have for nonfiction teachers and writers, or anyone who loves short nonfiction.
Joan
Apr 05, 2010 Joan rated it liked it
What I learned...I prefer longer essays to short ones, in the way I prefer novels(or trilogies or longer) to short stories. It just takes some time to develop ideas to the extent that satisfies me.
Karl W.
Aug 27, 2012 Karl W. rated it it was ok
Shelves: essays
Pretty much a waste of time, although there were a few interesting pieces. Still, a disappointment overall.
Bekah
Feb 07, 2009 Bekah added it
I learned how great it is to read short bites of creative nonfiction.
Bill
Jul 30, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it
Some great stuff and some total crap.
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Brigitte
Brigitte marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Traci B
Traci B marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Lisa Hayes-Minney
Lisa Hayes-Minney rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Meghan McClure
Meghan McClure rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Kevin Thrasher
Kevin Thrasher marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Rob Bartoli
Rob Bartoli marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jason Hanna
Jason Hanna marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • A Private History of Awe
  • The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
  • The Best American Essays 2009
  • Enough about You: Adventures in Autobiography
  • Touchstone Anthology of Contemporary Creative Nonfiction: Work from 1970 to the Present
  • On Looking: Essays
  • The Lost Origins of the Essay
  • I Just Lately Started Buying Wings: Missives from the Other Side of Silence
  • Quench Your Thirst with Salt
  • The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction: Advice and Essential Exercises from Respected Writers, Editors, and Teachers
  • You Must Revise Your Life