Start by marking “The Blindfold's Eyes: My Journey from Torture to Truth” as Want to Read:
The Blindfold's Eyes: My Journey from Torture to Truth

The Blindfold's Eyes: My Journey from Torture to Truth

The searing memoir of an American nun abducted and tortured in Guatemala, Whose ongoing search for healing and justice shows that the human spirit is a force stronger than violence and fear. Even more timely now for its insights into the aftermath of torture.
Published September 23rd 2004 by Orbis Books (first published October 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Blindfold's Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blindfold's Eyes

Tim
Jul 28, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing
I remember, on the ride back from the panel discussion, mentioning to our local DC director of TASSC that it seemed so pointless for Katherine Gallagher of the Center for Constitutional Rights to continue to pursue indictments against American officials in foreign courts. Gallagher and the CCR have been attempting to prosecute members of the Bush and Obama administrations for their involvement in torture carried out during the 10 year “War on Terror”. There is a legal opening pertaining to tortu ...more
Nancy
Mar 03, 2012 Nancy added it
It has been awhile and many books since I read this book. It was on my church's book club list.
It was frightening to read what humans can do to other humans.
Dianna's abduction was only approximately 24 hours but she saw people who had been tortured physically and mentally for long periods of time.
Their only crimes were for not beliving in the "regime of the day."
Not an easy read but thought provoking.
After reading this book, I said a prayer for sister Ortiz complete recovery from the haunting im
Misla Barco
May 08, 2014 Misla Barco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must!
Cassie
Mar 29, 2009 Cassie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a catholic nun who was raped and tortured in Guatemala and became an activist to try to get the US to admit it's involvement in atrocities in Guatelmala.

Her story is very famous...and I just learned that my housemate lived in community w/ her for several years!! They're friends! Amazing. So i have to add her book to my list.

Her memoir is said to be one of the finest of the genre.
Maureen
May 22, 2008 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Maureen by: UMW
This book is not for the faint of heart. While working with children as member of the Ursuline Order in rural Guatemala, Sister Dianna was kidnapped and taken to the police headquarters in Guatemala City, where she was raped and tortured in multiple ways. Her struggle to work her way back from trauma that was so severe that she could not recognize her family to becoming strong enough to fight for information about what happened to her and scores of others is hard to read at times. It is well wor ...more
Jill Dobbe
A great deal of historical background including how much the U.S. was involved in the atrocities carried out in Guatemala. Heartbreaking reading about what the author and others went through at the hands of the Guatemalan military. Honest and gut-wrenching story of what evil people can do to others. The author is a strong woman who never gave up in finding out the truth about who was involved in her abduction, torture, and rape. I greatly admire her strong spirit and forgiving heart.
Pam
Jul 21, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Incredibly moving. Sister Diana delivers a powerful and emotional recollection of her experience being tortured and the years she has spent recovering. I knew very little about Central American politics before reading this book, and what I learned from it made me interested enough to seek out more info. A very valuable book for anyone seeking to understand either the politics that can lead a government to condone torture or the experience of surviving torture.
Karin Mitchell
Jan 24, 2008 Karin Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karin by: Rob
Shelves: women-s, nonfiction
This book will make you angry. It made me angry with foreign policy and with the general mistreatment of human rights, and with lawyers, and with everyone. It is powerful and well written. The details of her case became difficult for me to follow in the last third of the book. An overwhelming impression is left on any reader of this book.
Heather Fineisen
Powerful and heart wrenching. You will not think the same way you did about anything before reading Dianna Ortiz's account of her torture in Guatemala.
Nicole
Jun 21, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely difficult to read given the content, but so important for understanding part of the recent history and current reality of Guatemala.
Matteo
Nov 11, 2007 Matteo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever had questions about the role the US plays in the world, this book will answer them in a terrifying way.
Laura Vanzo
The beginning was great. But towards the end it dragged a little. Very graphic.
XO
Mar 12, 2010 XO rated it really liked it
piercing tale of the effects of US policy in a good hearted nun that is serving in guate
Nahbois
Feb 24, 2008 Nahbois rated it it was amazing
Our government ain't so nice.
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Brittany Campbell
Brittany Campbell marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Linda Brunner
Linda Brunner marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Anna
Anna added it
Sep 12, 2016
Maddie
Maddie rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Laura Belshaw
Laura Belshaw marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Samantha Hari
Samantha Hari rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Leena-Maaretta Dixon
Leena-Maaretta Dixon marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Ginny Burke
Ginny Burke rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Stephanie Entcheva
Stephanie Entcheva rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016