Start by marking “The Blindfold's Eyes: My Journey from Torture to Truth” as Want to Read:
The Blindfold's Eyes: My Journey from Torture to Truth

The Blindfold's Eyes: My Journey from Torture to Truth

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  14 reviews
An American nun presents a haunting memoir detailing her torture in Guatemala while working as a missionary, her escape, her campaign to reveal the truth, her struggle to heal, and her work as a human rights activist and advocate for the victims of tortur
Published October 1st 2004 by Orbis Books (first published October 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Blindfold's Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blindfold's Eyes

Tim
I remember, on the ride back from the panel discussion, mentioning to our local DC director of TASSC that it seemed so pointless for Katherine Gallagher of the Center for Constitutional Rights to continue to pursue indictments against American officials in foreign courts. Gallagher and the CCR have been attempting to prosecute members of the Bush and Obama administrations for their involvement in torture carried out during the 10 year “War on Terror”. There is a legal opening pertaining to tortu ...more
Cassie
Mar 29, 2009 Cassie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a catholic nun who was raped and tortured in Guatemala and became an activist to try to get the US to admit it's involvement in atrocities in Guatelmala.

Her story is very famous...and I just learned that my housemate lived in community w/ her for several years!! They're friends! Amazing. So i have to add her book to my list.

Her memoir is said to be one of the finest of the genre.
Maureen
May 22, 2008 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Maureen by: UMW
This book is not for the faint of heart. While working with children as member of the Ursuline Order in rural Guatemala, Sister Dianna was kidnapped and taken to the police headquarters in Guatemala City, where she was raped and tortured in multiple ways. Her struggle to work her way back from trauma that was so severe that she could not recognize her family to becoming strong enough to fight for information about what happened to her and scores of others is hard to read at times. It is well wor ...more
Nancy
Mar 03, 2012 Nancy added it
It has been awhile and many books since I read this book. It was on my church's book club list.
It was frightening to read what humans can do to other humans.
Dianna's abduction was only approximately 24 hours but she saw people who had been tortured physically and mentally for long periods of time.
Their only crimes were for not beliving in the "regime of the day."
Not an easy read but thought provoking.
After reading this book, I said a prayer for sister Ortiz complete recovery from the haunting im
Jill Dobbe
A great deal of historical background including how much the U.S. was involved in the atrocities carried out in Guatemala. Heartbreaking reading about what the author and others went through at the hands of the Guatemalan military. Honest and gut-wrenching story of what evil people can do to others. The author is a strong woman who never gave up in finding out the truth about who was involved in her abduction, torture, and rape. I greatly admire her strong spirit and forgiving heart.
Pam
Incredibly moving. Sister Diana delivers a powerful and emotional recollection of her experience being tortured and the years she has spent recovering. I knew very little about Central American politics before reading this book, and what I learned from it made me interested enough to seek out more info. A very valuable book for anyone seeking to understand either the politics that can lead a government to condone torture or the experience of surviving torture.
Karin Mitchell
Jan 24, 2008 Karin Mitchell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karin by: Rob
Shelves: women-s, nonfiction
This book will make you angry. It made me angry with foreign policy and with the general mistreatment of human rights, and with lawyers, and with everyone. It is powerful and well written. The details of her case became difficult for me to follow in the last third of the book. An overwhelming impression is left on any reader of this book.
Heather
Powerful and heart wrenching. You will not think the same way you did about anything before reading Dianna Ortiz's account of her torture in Guatemala.
Matteo
If you ever had questions about the role the US plays in the world, this book will answer them in a terrifying way.
Laura Vanzo
The beginning was great. But towards the end it dragged a little. Very graphic.
XO
piercing tale of the effects of US policy in a good hearted nun that is serving in guate
Nahbois
Our government ain't so nice.
Anca  Ciochina
Anca Ciochina marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Lee Quam
Lee Quam marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Karen Puerner
Karen Puerner marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
  • Agnes's Jacket: A Psychologist's Search for the Meanings of Madness
  • Suffer the Child
  • The Pinochet File: A Declassified Dossier on Atrocity and Accountability
  • Irritable Hearts: A PTSD Love Story
  • Bitter Fruit: The Story of the American Coup in Guatemala (Latin American Studies)
  • At the Mind's Limits: Contemplations by a Survivor on Auschwitz and Its Realities
  • Prisoner without a Name, Cell without a Number
Psst . . . I  Have Something  to Tell You, Mi Amor Torture Is a Moral Issue: Christians, Jews, Muslims, and People of Conscience Speak Out