Start by marking “Lucifer's Flood” as Want to Read:
Lucifer's Flood

Lucifer's Flood (Reluctant Demon Diaries #1)

“The sensation of falling was terrifying…we tumbled out of the realm of the heavenly light into perpetual darkness. We had not seen darkness before--not like this anyway... A strange man shows up at the office of language expert Samantha Yale with a mysterious scroll written in an even more mysterious language. As she begins to translate, she discovers an eyewitness accou ...more
Published May 12th 2008 by Realms (first published April 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lucifer's Flood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucifer's Flood

Lisa
Jul 28, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it
I had such high hopes for this book and it met absolutely none of them. One of my biggest complaints is that it lacked emotional depth of any kind. The author warns us before the story begins that some of the biblical characters may seem too human, and that this was, in fact, done on purpose. My issue is that she made quite a few of them whiny and irritating without actually delving into any of them. The narrator's lack of understanding of faith even kept us from really seeing deeply into ...more
Scott Callaway
Apr 11, 2012 Scott Callaway rated it it was ok
I'm disappointed. I picked up this book expecting some sort of intriguing fiction, since the subject sparks mystery, but what I got from it was less than satisfying. It started off well enough to cause me to believe my expectations would be met, but after a quarter of the way through the novel I got bored real fast.

Some of my favorite bits of book were of Dr. Yale and the mysterious stranger Mr. Wonk because there was a hint of mystery. Unfortunately I was quite literal when I used the word "bit
Robert Gruett
Jan 24, 2013 Robert Gruett rated it really liked it
I read this book not because I was interested myself (although the subject matter caught my attention), but rather to get an idea of how and when it toed the line in terms of Biblical value before my daughter read it. As someone who is interested in the supernatural, and as Christians ourselves, we felt it important to expose her from a Christian perspective.

In terms of the setting and plot, the concept here is great, but unfortunately I felt more than once that the book simply fell short of the
Shawn
Jan 19, 2013 Shawn rated it it was ok
About Lucifer's fall from grace told by a reluctant angel/demon who got caught up in the moment. All I'm gonna say is this made Lucifer sound like a whiny spoiled bitchy teenager who was the supreme leader of other whiny spoiled bitchy teens. I love these "war in heaven" novels but not when they portray demons/angels to be this silly.
Wen
Nov 07, 2009 Wen rated it it was amazing
What a cute quirky book. It is unique in it being an account of Very early time from a fallen angel/demon. The story unfolds as translations of ancient scrolls. They tell of the war in heaven and of early man. It gives this fallen angels view point of early biblical characters, interjecting his running, sometimes humorous commentary. Will be reading the next installments.
Michelle
Jul 15, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
This is an interesting take on the fall of Lucifer from heaven as told by one of his henchmen who believes that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It had a "Screwtape Letters" feel to it, but not as good.
OpenBookSociety.com
Aug 17, 2012 OpenBookSociety.com rated it it was amazing
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Annabell

Beware of spoilers

Lucifer’s Flood is the story of Satan’s rebellion against God’s creation of humanity, his battle with Heaven, and what happened when he was thrown from God’s realm. The story is told from the view point of one of the lower angels who didn’t exactly choose to follow Lucifer but was so panicked by the war he ended up getting cast out in a case of misunderstanding.

The writing is absolutely wonderful in this book. It is clear, desc
GoodGlory
Oct 22, 2014 GoodGlory rated it liked it
I had this on my dnf shelf. But since I decided to go back and read my dnf books, I finished this one. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I guess the first time I tried it just wasn't the right time for me. Going back it only took me two days to read this book. Stuck on the wrong side in third Heaven, when Lucifers followers fell, he fell alongside them. He had a moment of doubt, standing in the wrong place the wrong time he was swept over the edge with the other Fallen . His indecision was the ...more
Winterking
Jul 01, 2014 Winterking rated it really liked it
What happened in heaven that a third of God's angels were thrown out? How was it that so many fell? What happened from that defining moment til now? We begin getting answers from a mysterious source. It seems some special scrolls were found. They were written in a nearly forgotten script. One that only a handful of people can translate. Samantha Yale is one such person. The scroll she gets has been written by a fallen angel. According to his claim it was all a misunderstanding. Standing in the ...more
Astrid
Aug 09, 2010 Astrid rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this novel. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked it up, but I know that I didn't find it.

The battle between Lucifer and the armies of Heaven was dull and anti-climatic, which was extremely disappointing since it prompted the subsequent events of the novel. One of the major problems in this novel is the characterization. The characters are one-dimensional and not very likable or well-developed. Lucifer, for example, comes across as irrational, temperamental
Kristen Marie
Jul 24, 2014 Kristen Marie rated it liked it
This was certainly an interesting take on the Story of God, being as it was from the point of view from one of the fallen angels. I really enjoyed it, because we all know the story, but having it seen from another point of view, and from a negative side almost, doesn't quite sit right with the reader, but seeing it from another angle is beneficial.

I really enjoyed the book actually. The beginning is the most interesting to me, because that's so foggy in the Bible. When the world is in utter cha
Zoe Jean
May 03, 2013 Zoe Jean rated it really liked it
I found it funny and fresh. There are those who that feel it's near blasphemy, or the humans are too whiney, among other complaints...however...this is the closest book I've ever read about 'real' mythical people. The only complaint I have is that she states that the Holy Spirit is 'male', when it's quite clear to me that it's a female part of the Godhead. She bases her observation about the Holy Spirit on Jewish tradition, which also agrees with other faiths...most of which obviously have a ...more
Barbara
Jul 16, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
A very interesting take on Lucifer's fall from Heaven, this book definitely held my interest even though I didn't agree with every point the author made. It is not as well written as The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis or Lord Foulgrin's Letters by Randy Alcorn, but still very enjoyable and thought-provoking. The demon who narrated it was oblivious to his own responsibility for his actions, and it made it interesting to compare in my mind the demon's mindset to Adam and Eve's response when they ...more
Sarah Fernandez
Mar 20, 2014 Sarah Fernandez rated it did not like it
I was incredibly disappointed by this book. It had so much potential, and yet the story went nowhere. There was no suspense, let alone a true plot. The narrator was dull, whiny, sniveling, and a coward. Reading his narration was irritating. He constantly whined about being given a second chance but he showed no faith in God; all he did was question Him and act like he knew better than God! Satan was also a disappointment. He was dull and exhibited no motivation or any cunning. In fact, all the ...more
Erick
Aug 10, 2011 Erick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had potential. It started off with the same suspense as the (non-Christian) "Divinci Code". However, quickly became boring and long....no suspense whatever. The language of the book (from the demon) should have been old and factual. However, the author has the demon say things like "he was as lit up as a Christmas tree." Being that Christmas trees were not common until the 1800's, I don't see why a demon would know what a Christmas tree was. Basically it started like a good adult ...more
Alyce
Jun 28, 2012 Alyce rated it liked it
This was another booksellers promotional book that my parents picked up for me.

Lucifer's Flood is written about an angel that suffered a moment of indecision during the fall of Lucifer and was cast out of Heaven along all of the angels that rebelled. It's his story of his life since then and what it's like to be under Stan's thumb. Well, his story once he finds some one who listens to him and writes it down.

I found it to be a riveting story and to be greatly thought provoking. It definitely pro
BettyAnn
Apr 18, 2012 BettyAnn rated it it was ok
It was an ok book, but it did not live up to the hype. There was a lot of hype about the book and the back cover made it seem like there was some exciting thing to happen. But I was disappointed. It was just a different interpretation of the 'creation' from the bible. I even found it a little preachy depending on how you read it.
I thought it was going to be like Angelology where you were on your seat waiting and wondering. I read this book quickly b/c I was waiting for something to happen.
Not su
Cathy
May 02, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
If you want a series of books that you cannot forget, this series by Linda Rios Brook is one of the best I have ever read.It is very- well written but also informative. I read a chapter and then thought about what I'd read for awhile, as this is speculative Christian fiction and I wanted to test it as to how speculative it was. Brook's writing flows and captivates, and is thought-provoking, to say the least.I am an avid reader; I have recommended the series to several friends.
T J
Jan 26, 2015 T J rated it liked it
What happens when a fallen angel thinks he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. He writes a diary of what all happens in LUCIFER'S FLOOD. A mysterious man shows up at Samantha Yale's office with cuniform scrolls for her to translate. This sets off the story and her translation is intriguing as the diary unfolds. It was a good and easy one day reader.
Meghan
Mar 06, 2013 Meghan rated it really liked it
I loved this book. The way it was written is amazingly captivating. I like the new twist on a very old story, and how it somehow becomes different and new again. I absolutely loved the new point of view on the bible, whereas it's coming from someone who was banished, rather then someone who watched. If you like historical/religious stories you might find this one a good read.
Carrie
Apr 22, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
A very interesting take on the fall of Lucifer from heaven as told by one of his henchmen who believes that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It definitely made me think about Lucifer and the spiritual battle that is constantly raging around us. The book had points that were a bit far-fetched but, all-in-all an interesting perspective through early events and characters in the Bible.
Chas Funderburg
I think that Linda Rios writes in a style very similar to mine: sort of "humanizing" the spiritual characters. But I believe that this makes the characters all the more compelling. I don't know how accurate her portrayal of the spiritual world is, but it does very much make the characters come alive. Very creative and interesting. Would highly recommend.
Heidi
Aug 29, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
Wow, I expected a dark macabre story about demons but this was not that way, much to my relief :) told by a watcher demon that was sent from heaven w/ Satan this book is humorous at times and tragic. I've not read anything like it before and can't wait to read the 2nd book.
Olivia
Aug 29, 2013 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Wait... what? That can't be the end! Wha-what about the rest of the scrolls? Who is Wonk? Is he the author of the scrolls? This was such an interesting take on an age old story. I want more. I need more.
Jesse Beadle
Feb 14, 2010 Jesse Beadle rated it really liked it
An angel, after circumstances that it claimed were beyond its control, chose the wrong side in the battle between God and Satan. Read as the new demon watches the events of the book of Genesis come to pass.
Diane Baker
Jun 12, 2014 Diane Baker rated it it was ok
This one is pretty thin. There were some interesting points about what the earth is like in antedeluvian times, and but character development is miniscule, and I thought the plot-arc is pretty clumsy.
Kimberley Sorrells
Jul 23, 2012 Kimberley Sorrells rated it it was amazing
This is the most gripping and interesting book I have ever read in my entire life. I have read this book wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than once. I even did a dramatic interpretation based on it in high school. The best book ever. EVER!
Gloria
Oct 15, 2011 Gloria rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book so far. It is the account of the war in heaven and one of the fallen angels and his viewpoint from what happened during the war in heaven, and the creation of the earth and Lucifers powers.....
Sabrina
May 10, 2013 Sabrina rated it really liked it
A quick and pleasant read. Not too heavy but true to the Holy Bible. I think that Brook accomplished her goal although the prose is a little loose.
Keli
May 23, 2010 Keli rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this book and I would recommend it to everyone, especially Christians or anyone who has questioned Christianity. It's a quick read because it's just so interesting!!
  • The War in Heaven: The Chronicle of Abaddon the Destroyer
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • The Hunted: A Novel
  • The Lights of Tenth Street
  • Shade
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • The Fall of Lucifer  (Chronicles of Brothers, #1)
  • Fallen From Babel
  • Unholy Empire (Chronicles of the Host #2)
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Gilgamesh Immortal (Chronicles of the Nephilim, #3)
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • The Devil's Apocrypha: There Are Two Sides to Every Story.
  • Valley of the Shadow

Reluctant Demon Diaries (4 books)
  • The Deliverer: Book Two of the Reluctant Demon Diaries
  • The King
  • The Redeemer (Reluctant Demon Diaries, #4)