Start by marking “Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)” as Want to Read:
Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)

Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans #7)

Welsh constable Evan Evans knows that village life is not as peaceful as it seems--and now his job takes a turn toward the tragic when the man accused of killing his father is accused of murder once again.
Published January 6th 2004 by Berkley (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Evan Only Knows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan Only Knows

Bonnie
Jul 22, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
This novel in the Constable Evans mystery series opens with a foot-and-mouth disease that threatens the local sheep in Llanfair, Wales where Evan is the only police officer. He and his finacee, Bronwen, make the decision that Evan should take his vacation days and visit his mother in Swansea rather than see the sheep slaughtered. As they pull out the drive, a neighbor rushes out with a warm egg and bacon pie, a bara brith, bread with mixed fruit, and sandwiches in case they get hungry on the dri ...more
Deena
Nov 22, 2011 Deena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, bosler
I may have to give up on this series before I finish it. I enjoyed the early titles, but the last few have gone down hill sharply. Flat and superficial. Near the end of this one is the line "There was no understanding women, Evan decided. He would never learn what pleased them." Well, no, he wouldn't, if they were as poorly, sloppily, inconsistently, and unrealistically written as the woman he's referring to. And she's a recurring character, which says a lot.

Definitely not at all sure that I'll
Rose
Mar 20, 2017 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An all-'round good guy

I really like constable Evans. He's an honest man struggling against the crime and his own emotions and sometimes his superior officers.
Elsie
Mar 23, 2017 Elsie rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Evan Evans mysteries. He just doesn't give up trying his best, even if it puts his career at risk.
Kathy Davie
Oct 24, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Seventh in the Constable Evans mystery series set in Llanfair, North Wales and revolving around Constable Evan Evans, the so-far local policeman for the area.

The Story
Disaster strikes in North Wales! The Ministry of Agriculture plans to destroy the flocks of sheep of all the farmers in a wide area in Wales including Evans' area. All leave and the course Evans was supposed to attend has been canceled. Then Evans learns that Bronwen's job may be at risk as well.

Unable to bear the emotional side of
Donna
Sep 30, 2016 Donna rated it did not like it
Grew tiresome. DNF
Hal
Jan 13, 2014 Hal rated it really liked it
If I had not read five previous books in this Constable Evans cozy mystery, I would not have stuck with it. It was slow to get going and at times poorly edited. Ms Bowen telegraphs her punches here, and there was little suspense. However, I am glad I made it to the end.

This book helped me clarify why I like Constable Evans and why I get the same comforting feeling from this series that I did from Alexander McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie books, which are much more sophisticated and literary.

I be
Andrew
What do you do when the person who killed your father but got away with a slap on the wrist is arrested for another murder – but you don't think he did it this time? If you're North Wales police constable Evan Evans, you dig to find the truth – after all, that is what his late father would have done.

This 7th book in Rhys Bowen's Constable Evans Mystery series deviates from other books in the series in that the action takes place in the South Wales city of Swansea, rather than the North Wales vi
Ed
Jan 29, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#7 in the Evan Evans series. Welsh Constable Evans can't bear the thought of opposing his friends and neighbors when the Army comes to destroy their flocks to contain an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease. He takes two weeks accumulated leave and, with fiancée Bronwen, heads south to visit his mother in Swansea. Along with amusing visits to the prospective in-laws, Evan gets involved in a murder case with personal ties.

Evan Evans series - When Constable Evan Evans and his new fiancée decide to t
George
Apr 23, 2007 George rated it liked it
Recommends it for: British mystery readers
Another in the Welsh Constanble Evan Evans mysteries. This time he returns home taking his fiancee to meet his mother and then meet her parents. While home he becomes involved in investigating whether the young man who had killed Evan's father several years earlier is really guilty of the recent murder of a young girl. Several plot lines dealing with the continuing developing relationship between Evan and his fiancee Bronwen, Evan's relationship with his widowed mother, and Evan's investigation, ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 15, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2004
Evan and Bronwen are off to meet each other's family's. Their first stop is Mrs. Evans, and they stumble into a case with ties to Evan's family past. The man who killed Evan's father is arrest for another crime, only this time Evan thinks he's innocent. Can he prove it without alienating his mother? This book is missing much of the charm of the earlier ones in the series since the wonderful supporting players aren't in the book. A bit more serious, too.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I have to say I just wasn't grabbed by this book. It was a necessary book to finish up a thread in the life of Constable Evans but I just didn't enjoy it as usual. I also did not like Constable Evans Mother a single bit. I get why she is bitter but I found her not sympathetic but just someone I don't like very much. Bronwen's parents were something too.

I do love the Welsh language which is a delight for me as I'm from Welsh/Scottish heritage.

This book is important to close up some family thread
Alice
Aug 08, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
3 and a half
This book strays from the expected as Evan and Bronwyn leave Llanfair for a "holiday" to meet each other's parents and officially announce their engagement and Evan gets drawn into a murder investigation when it involves the boy who pulled the trigger that killed his father a few years back.

I like it when an author takes the characters in a series and gives us a little something different instead of staying over and over in the same plot with a different victim. This wasn't the most
Ceejay
Jun 17, 2016 Ceejay rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable mystery featuring Constable Evan Evans! In this novel, Evans and his fiancee Bronwen head to south Wales to let their families know that they intend to marry. However, a murder has occured in Evan's home town, and the suspect is the man who shot and killed Evan's father! In addition to solving a murder, Browen and Evan have to get through the minefield that is family accecpting the two of them marrying. As always,Ms. Bowen has done an excellent job!
Patricia
May 17, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing
This story was the best of the bunch! Strangely, I liked that it was in a different setting--do not gwt me wrong. I like the setting in North Wales nd some of the regular characters but it was refreshing to "get out of town," so to speak. I really thought the writing was great. I really liked that there wasn't that little intro part where the reader "meets" the killers at the beginning of the story as there is in the previous six books. Whew! I am looking forward to book 8.
Lisa
May 27, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tthe first Evans book I've read since the library didn't have its prequels and I was hungry for fiction--I like Ms. Bowen's Molly Murphy series and the Royal Spyness series, so I thought I'd go ahead and try this, but I think I prefer the historical fiction of Murphy and Spyness. (Still not a bad read, though.)
Martine Peacock
Aug 09, 2011 Martine Peacock rated it liked it
Turns out I had read this book before, but owing to my poor memory, I didn't remember the story, so read it again. Have come to the conclusion that Evan Evans is a bit of a twerp (perhaps because he's a character invented by a aging, middle class American woman). I won't be reading any more books that appear in the series. It's pleasant but no great shakes.
Echo
Jun 10, 2008 Echo rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
As with the other Evan Evans books, this one was well-done. I liked the emotional conflict of the storyline. I was surprised that I had the mystery solved early in the book though. I'm bad at guessing outcomes, so it's unusual to have to spend half the book wanting to shake Evan and yell, "No, you eejit! THAT person did it!"
Shauna
May 07, 2010 Shauna rated it really liked it
In this installment, we learn more about Evan's past and the circumstances surrounding his father's death. We meet his disagreeable mother, and he must face the man who pulled the trigger killing his father many years ago. All this set amid a scare of foot and mouth disease running rampant through the country causing all the local sheep to be slaughtered.
Judy
May 14, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Intricate and well thought out plot. Evan's Mom is so "mom" but I do believe her character isn't a generalization. And I am still wondering where the delivery of cocaine went. So many lives ruined. I'm hooked on Rhys Bowen now and will be reading a lot of her books, not jut the Evan books.
LJ
Bowen, Rhys – Evan Only Knows – G+
Less light than some of the previous offerings in the series. Evan investigates a man who served time for killing his father and is now accused of rape and murder. It also touches on the impact on the community of Mad Cow disease. This is a very enjoyable series.
Laura Rodd
Mar 02, 2012 Laura Rodd rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Kircus Reveiw
I really enjoyed this book. It was a cozy, entertaining Welsh read.
The characters are lifelike in their goodness. A school teacher and a mid- level
police man have a pretty clear view of how the world ought to be rather than how it is,
so one teaches the golden rule and the other seeks out justice and demands fair play for
rich and poor alike.
Oct 27, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
This may have been my least favorite of the series. Maybe because it took place outside the wonderful little town of Llanfair, or perhaps because it had the element of annoying parents. Whatever it was, I just plowed through it to figure out if I was right in my speculation of "who dun nit." And I was.
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 Julie added it
Shelves: british-mystery
i didn't like this one quite as much as the others. maybe because constable evan evans was not in his home turf, but was in swansea solving a mystery and i guess it was missing the town characters and snowdon mountain, etc.
Marg
Nov 23, 2009 Marg rated it really liked it
Another in the series of Evan Evans, Welsh constable and detective stories. Since I have visited the area in which he resides and solves mysteries, I have found them pleasant and delightful. They keep me attentive, but are not too violent for this softhearted reader.
Susanne Beyer
Sep 10, 2016 Susanne Beyer rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read, like all the other Evan books. And unfortunately with the same amount of mistakes in the few Welsh bits. Not at all important to non-Welsh speakers, sure, but for me they underminde the credibility of the narrator and very unnecessarily so. More editing care please!
Sandra Holladay
Oct 25, 2016 Sandra Holladay rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Although I enjoyed the first six books in the series, I had a great deal of trouble with this one. It didn't seem to have the same quality - can't quite put my finger on it, but was not nearly as enjoyable.
Judy Frye
Oct 09, 2015 Judy Frye rated it it was amazing
The Constable Evans mysteries are delightful. There are enough quirky characters to give you a chuckle and enough mystery to keep you reading. I think I'm falling in love with Wales, especially the area around Mt. Snowdon.
Connie
Sep 30, 2014 Connie rated it liked it
I love Rhys Bowen's books. They are quick and easy reads and end well. Evans is probably the least favorite of the three series of hers that I have read but I still enjoy it. Evans always preservers until he gets justice. I love the Wales setting. Good book.
D. Eric
Oct 05, 2009 D. Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A worthy book in the Constable Evans series in that we learn more about his background and the death of his father. This time Evans finds himself in the very unenviable position of having to defend the man who killed his father five years ago.
  • Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
  • Death of a Witch (Hamish Macbeth, #24)
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • Portrait of a Lady (Leonardo da Vinci Mystery, #2)
  • Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4)
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)