Mexico One Plate At A Time

Mexico One Plate At A Time

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,304 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Rick Bayless has been acclaimed widely as America's foremost proponent of Mexico's thrillingly diverse cuisine. In this companion book to his 26-part Public Television series, he takes us, with boyish enthusiasm, through Mexican markets, street stalls and home kitchens to bring us the great dishes of Mexico, one "plate" at a time. And each "plate" Rick presents here is a M...more
Published October 25th 2000 by Scribner

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
38th out of 827 books — 829 voters
My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by Carl TremblayThe Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond
Awesome Cookbooks!
22nd out of 141 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Cami
Jan 03, 2008 Cami rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cooks everywhere, beginners
Shelves: cookbooks
This is simply my absolute favorite cookbook.
I plan to make nearly everything in it. I have obvious favorites that we make several times a year.
As an author/cook, Bayless is completely entertaining and helpful. He even includes notes on what the completed dish should be like, with great, understandable descriptions.
Honestly, he has made me a better cook. In fact, I blame this book for setting me on the path of really good cooking, taking it above and beyond what I knew from my childhood. I also...more
Maze Branch
What a wonderful way to spend a January afternoon - eating Mexican food! The large group that attended this discussion ensured that we were able to sample a cross section of recipes as follows...

1. Meal in a Bowl/Ranch Style Chicken Soup - definitely the soup that you want when you're feeling under the weather. Just enough spice to make it interesting but not overpowering. Thumbs up all the way around.
2. Horchata - a refreshing almond/cinnamon/rice drink. Thumbs up all the way around.
3. Smoked S...more
Carole
I still need a copy of this one. I read it when I was doing research on Mexican cooking for a class in culinary school. Chef Bayless knows what he's talking about. This man even convinced me to make my own lard - and prior to culinary school, I'd been a vegetarian for 16 years. But you know what? Lard is, in some ways, actually better for you than either butter or margarine. It has half the cholesterol of butter and it is full of UNsaturated fats. You know, the good kind. If you render it yourse...more
Natalie
I love Bayless's enthusiasm for great food. He gives detailed, lively descriptions of each dish and also super practical FAQs after recipes about different things they tested for the recipes, so I don't have to! My favorite tip is that beans don't have to be soaked ahead of time.

This is a not a health cookbook, so I can't fault it for having cheese, fried food, and encouraging lard for extra flavor, but those are the reasons I didn't try too many of the recipes.
Joyce
Every recipe is a winner! I cook from this book often.

The shrimp cocktail (Ceviche de Cameron) is awesome and guests are wowed with it.

Other recipes that are excellent, which is what I've now come to expect from Rick, are:

- Caldo de Pollo Ranchero
- Whole Fish Veracruz Style with Tomatoes, Capers, Olives & Herbs
- Tortilla Soup with Pasilla Chile, Fresh Cheese & Avacado
- Beef Short Ribs with Tomatoes, Roasted Poblanos & Herbs
- Tomatillo Braised Pork Loin
- Creamy Enchiladas with Chicke...more
Zen
...'Masa, masa man! I want to be a MASA man!!!!'

... Or as the case may be a Masa-woman.. I just learned how to make the chalupas, sopas, and tamales (in order form the easiest to the hardest) using the corn flour called masa - a mysterious substance from my Mexican grocery store that I never know what to do with. I also like the rest of the recipes, but since they are pretty basic, I already know how to make my of them.

However - this is an EXCELLENT resource for the beginner Mexican cook.
Gail
Good basic Mexican food cookbook. However, some recipes are a little complicated with a wide range of ingredients not normally in my pantry.
Deb
One of the two Rick Bayless Books that I have not cooked much from but still a great cookbook for learning about Mexican food and cooking. The Arroz con Leche Clásico (Classic Mexican Rice Pudding with Cinnamon and Dried Fruit) was completely delicious however. You can find the recipe and photos here: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Callina
May 13, 2008 Callina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Mexican food!
I really enjoyed Rick Bayless's PBS series of the same name, and this book doesn't disappoint--it includes the quintessential authentic Mexican dishes, with traditional recipes for each as well as modern/American "twists," and great narratives to describe everything. It's a great book even just to read, if you simply want to learn about REAL Mexican cooking!
Chris Brimmer
Matchless in its clarity and explanation of technique. You could do no better as a first Mexican cookbook.
Carolyn
I try to read as many winners of James Beard awards that I can pick up. Rick Bayless is a master chef and this book does not disappoint. Very well presented - love the traditional and contemporary versions of Mexican cuisine. Some of the ingredients are a little hard to find, but I need to make more of an effort.
Becky
Jun 02, 2011 Becky is currently reading it
I picked this book up at the library and after making sopas and spotting several other potential meals I decided to get a copy of my own. I like the way the recipes are presented in traditional form, and then simple substitutes are provided for American cooks. Explanations of prep techniques are well done.
Jodi Rossi
All time best ever Mexican cookbook! I reference it regularly for information on peppers and chili's and cheeses, and just everything delicious. The recipes are clear to follow and every single delectable bite is well worth the effort of cooking it in the traditional way Bayless lays out in the book.
Dora
Nov 12, 2007 Dora added it
Shelves: cookbooks
I recommend anything by Rick Bayless because he always includes interesting and useful information. I'm not sure that I've actually made anything from this book, but I always learn something just browsing through it.

Have 2 copies, for some reason, so one is going back to 1/2 price books.
C

Enjoyable read, in the catagory of "cookbooks/coffee table book." We've made a few interesting recipes from it, but nothing that really knocked our socks off or inspired us to remake/reuse...yet.

I vow I will drag this book out and give it a second chance.
Glenda
This is often my "jumping off" spot for a Mexican dish. I love the fact that he has a traditional recipe, followed by a modern version. This is authentic Mexican and NOT Tex-Mex or "restaurant" Mexican. Rick Bayless knows his stuff!
Angelique
Rick Bayless is my "go to" dude for all things Mexican. I love his show on PBS, and while some of the dishes take major prep (and trips to the specialty market) they're definitely worth-while!

Barbara
I found this more 'reader friendly' than some of his other books. I guess I like pretty pictures and an easy-to-follow organization. I find the passion of this man to be inspiring and contagious.
Nancy
Rick Bayless holds a very high position in the pantheon of chefs in our house. We refer to this book as a bible. We haven't had a bad experience cooking out of the book yet.
Renee Edelman
4 stars only because some of the recipes are far too complicated. What I have been able to tackle has been delicious. Potato and chorizo tacos are a favorite.
Crystal
Oh, how I love Rick Bayless. His knowledge of Mexican cuisine is so inspiring. I sometimes forget I have this book...I need to go back and cook from it again.
Bridget
Beautiful cookbook! Right now I am collecting more for the autographs than actually cooking from them! :) Need an autograph for this book.
Rose
We've had this cookbook for awhile. It's the one that I took to get his autograph. Good recipes and pictures to go along with them.
Tamela Quijas
I love Rick Bayless--he has always kept Mexican food authentic and original--never attempting to Americanize the best.
Thomas Daniels
Everything I've made from this book has been delicious; however, it can be a challenging and frustrating book at times.
Chambers Stevens
My first and only Mexican cookbook.
You won't need another.
Bayless has included everything you will ever need.
Catherine Woodman
I do not like this nearly as much as the first two cookbooks, and not allt hat different from them either
John
Mar 03, 2008 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoy's mexican food and cooking
Shelves: cooking
In keeping with Geoffrey's review's I thought I would add some of my favorite cooking reference books.
Beth Malone
Just acquired this cookbook ! Have made three recipes and all were great ! Some are very time intensive .
Summer
I splattered it with copious amounts of enchilada sauce- and wouldn't you know it's a library book.
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, A Barbecue Bible! Cookbook
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • The Pie and Pastry Bible
  • The Splendid Table
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home
  • The Breath of a Wok: Breath of a Wok
  • Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
Rick Bayless has written six cookbooks, including Mexican Everyday and Fiesta at Rick's. His product line of prepared foods is sold coast to coast. With his wife Deann he owns and operates Chicago’s casual Frontera Grill, named “Outstanding Restaurant” by the James Beard Foundation, and the four-star fine-dining Topolobampo. XOCO, a Leed-certified quick-serve restaurant, opened in 2009. He is the...more
More about Rick Bayless...
Mexican Everyday Rick Bayless Mexican Kitchen Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico Fiesta at Rick's: Fabulous Food for Great Times with Friends Rick and Lanie's Excellent Kitchen Adventures