The Common Good (Real Story)

The Common Good (Real Story)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"How adroitly he cuts through the crap and really says something, " describes The Village Voice of world-famous political writer and lecturer Noam Chomsky. In his latest report on the state of the world, Chomsky discusses a breathtaking variety of topics, ranging from Japan's trade policies to the "war" on drugs, corporate welfare, and much more.
Published July 1st 2002 by Odonian Press (first published July 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Common Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Common Good

Nafis Faizi
Most Amazing Chomskisms from this book

'The goal is a society in which the basic social unit is you and your television set. If the kid next door is hungry, it's not your problem. If the retired couple next door invested their assets badly and are now starving, that's not your problem either.' (p29)

'You need something to frighten p...more
Brian
Chomsky's analysis was very insightful and extraordinarily helpful in explaining how elites in the US media and political establishments advance their own agendas under the rhetoric of a fictional "common good." On the other hand, I found the format in which it was presented, transcripts from interviews, extremely irritating to read. Still, in the end, the knowledge gained was worth the irritation.
Tomchicago
I have been looking for a good place to start with Chomsky, since I have waded into the work of other thinkers and become discouraged when I got lost. This has been recommended as a good intro, so here goes.

update upon finishing. Like Zinn, this writer/speaker activist has joined my
A List. I'll get into more of his work now.
Le Connell
A great analysis of why our political system fails to serve the majority of its citizens. Also provides a good list of trustworthy news sources and progressive organizations. Noam Chomsky keeps it real, as usual.
Xchel
If you're unhappy about something, start doing something about it and solve the problems that arise as they come.
Andrew Mirelman
Oct 17, 2007 Andrew Mirelman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Liberals and Conservatives
This book is great. The interview format is really easy to follow. Very applicable since we're entering election season. A true Washingtonian, park-reading book.
Florence
What a great book! The editor suggests that "if this book doesn't anger or depress you, you should check your pulse"; I couldn't agree more!
Libs
It is a good thing to go inside of Chomsky ideas. But it's not a a book for you if you want excitement.
Sare
It's getting a little dated, but it's still true and a little scary.
Stacey Flores
Sep 01, 2007 Stacey Flores rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Such a small book packed with so much power!
Jessica Harvey
Jessica Harvey marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Drifoy
Drifoy marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
gogo2go
gogo2go is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Andrew Max
Andrew Max marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Pape Mamadou Camara
Pape Mamadou Camara marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Metod Rybár
Metod Rybár marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Cam Walker
Cam Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Firas Srour
Firas Srour marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
pnacattack. com
pnacattack. com marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
John
John added it
Jul 14, 2014
Honorable Azis
Honorable Azis marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • Terrorism and War
  • A Capitalism for the People: Recapturing the Lost Genius of American Prosperity
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • Blaming the Victims: Spurious Scholarship and the Palestinian Question
  • Agenda for a New Economy: From Phantom Wealth to Real Wealth
  • The Limits to Capital
  • Saving Capitalism From The Capitalists: Unleashing The Power Of Financial Markets To Create Wealth And Spread Opportunity
  • Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
  • Age of Fracture
  • Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate
  • The Speech: A Historic Filibuster on Corporate Greed and the Decline of Our Middle Class
  • Blood, Class and Empire: The Enduring Anglo-American Relationship
  • Predator Nation: Corporate Criminals, Political Corruption, and the Hijacking of America
  • Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice
  • American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America
  • In Defense of Globalization
  • Sick: The Untold Story of America's Health Care Crisis---And the People Who Pay the Price
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H...more
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....” 651 likes