Start by marking “Year 501: The Conquest Continues” as Want to Read:
Year 501: The Conquest Continues

Year 501: The Conquest Continues

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  389 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
With chapters on Haiti, Latin America, the new global economic order, the Third World at home, and much more, this is a powerful treatise on the not-so-new New World Order.
Published July 1st 1999 by South End Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Year 501, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year 501

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinA People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn1984 by George OrwellManufacturing Consent by Noam ChomskyUnderstanding Power by Noam Chomsky
Best Left-Texts
28th out of 312 books — 142 voters
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Ecological Rift by John Bellamy Foster
Best Progressive Reads
393rd out of 460 books — 332 voters

More lists with this book...

Fahad
Sep 14, 2011 Fahad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
501 سنة، الغزو مستمر

قلت في مراجعتي السابقة لمجموعة كتابات نعوم تشومسكي (أشياء لن تسمع بها أبدا ً)، أن القارئ سيخرج منها بغضب ومرارة، أضيف بعد قراءة هذا الكتاب الرعب والاشمئزاز، إن ما يرويه تشومسكي في هذا الكتاب هو تاريخ دموي، أسود، عانى منه أغلب سكان العالم، وتشومسكي يستغل الاحتفال بمرور 500 عام على وصول كولومبوس إلى أمريكا 1492 م، ليكتب كتابه هذا راويا ً بأسلوبه الساخر المرير حكاية هذا الرعب الذي نشره الأوربيون على مدار الخمسمئة سنة الماضية على أمم الأرض، منذ إبادة سكان العالم الجديد الأصليين،
Scott
Dec 28, 2007 Scott rated it it was amazing
This book was like an implosion in my frontal lobe. Sometimes I wish I hadn't read it, for my admiration of Western Civilization was greatly diminished. Truth hurts.
Guy
May 22, 2012 Guy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has begun exceptionally well! And I am pleasantly surprised to see that Chomsky has with this book very directly addressed economics. Unlike most economic tracts, however, he examines economics both as a hegemonic motivator and for the economic and social consequences of those economic practices. I'm on page 71, and this is one of Chomsky's best works.

Detailed review to follow. This has entered into my top ten most important books to read for people interested in the untold history of
Dionysus
Jul 05, 2014 Dionysus rated it it was ok
I've been meaning to get more into Chomsky's writings, having become sufficiently interested in him from the odd article or speech of his that i've seen. Since his writings are so eclectic by nature, I tried Year 501 in order to get a footing in his thought through his interpretation of the broader trends of history. I've come away underwhelmed.

I'm reminded of the apocryphal comment attributed to Samuel Johnson, "Your manuscript is both good and original. But the part that is good is not origin
Amber
Sep 04, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
This was a difficult book for me to read; it challenged a lot of what I thought I knew about history. I'm still working on deciding which version of the "story" I believe, but the book really made me want to get all the information I could about political events around me and to encourage others to do the same so that we can collectively make better decisions together instead of just accepting what elected officials want to tell us.
Krishna
Dec 05, 2015 Krishna rated it really liked it
Essential reading for those who advocate American exceptionalism, the Bretton Woods consensus or in general, the benignity of the Western role in the modern world. Noam Chomsky argues citing an enormous amount of evidence, that Western governments, and especially the United States, have used diplomacy and military power to secure and maintain an economic advantage for their own corporations, to the detriment of the vast majority of the world's population and even their own lower economic classes ...more
Thabit
Thabit rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Mohammad Ali
Oct 06, 2015 Mohammad Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
النجمة الناقصة من شان التكرار اللي بيعملو تشومسكي بكتبو ومحاضراتو
تكرار الأمثلة، أحيانا في فصول كاملة بتحسها مأخودة من كتب تانية

الكتاب Must Read
وإذا قريان لتشومكسي
فـ
Must Fast Read. :)
Peter Zylstramoore
One of the most important Chomsky works. Many of his books on disparities between the reasons we give for actions and the results of our actions, or question where we intervene, and whether we live up to our noble ambitions. This book recognizes that through international institutions (especially economic) and foreign policy that we are continuing the conquest of Columbus. Unlike many of his other books he delves knowledgeably into economics and how that guides foreign policy and also keeps othe ...more
Anusar
Mar 07, 2007 Anusar rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Chomsky looks at the Columbian era of World history and finds the persistent theme of conquest and exploitation. My favorite book by Chomsky. One is hard put to find such broad analyzes elsewhere. The Marxists are too stuck up about Capitalism to look at larger processes and the mainstream Historians are not allowed to have these thoughts.

Strongly recommended.
Ayoub Radil
Aug 18, 2015 Ayoub Radil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
يحتوي الكتاب على حقائق صادمة و نظرة تحليلية قلما توجد حتى عند من وقع عليهم العدوان نظرا للتهجين الثقافي، الكتاب بمثابة شهادة على عدم تغير الغزو الأمريكي منذ الخطوات الأولى للإنسان الأوروبي على الأراضي الأمريكية حتى التسعينات من القرن الماضي و بداية الألفية الثالثة لازالت تؤكده، الحاجة ماسة لمثل هذه الشهادات حتى لا تطمس الحقيقة و لكي نفهم الحاضر بصورة أوضح.
Doug
Mar 09, 2010 Doug rated it liked it
An important, understated collection of Chomsky essays that sorts through multiple hideous moves in U.S. foreign policy. As a collection of essays, it suffers from a typical lack of narrative unity and focused direction, along with Chomsky's normal "spiral" style. Naomi Klein's Shock Doctrine covers some of the same material but is much clearer.
أبو محمد  الدرعمي
رائع .. ثري للغاية معلوماتياً .. و ممل و ثقيل !
500 صفحة من الترجمة الجافة التي لم يفلح أسلوب شومسكي الساخر في تخفيفها و تخفيف ثقلها على النفس .. لكن الكم المذهل من المعلومات الواسعة جغرافياً و تاريخياً و تفسيرياً غير معقول .. كتاب ممتاز لشومسكي و مرهق ..حتى و ان اختلفت في بعض تفسيراته التاريخية المغرقة في المادية..
Josh Meares
Apr 19, 2011 Josh Meares rated it liked it
Interesting book in that it shows the interconnections of politics and economics. The only problem I have with Chomsky, other that that he sounds like a conspiracy nut when he talks about the media, is that the most interesting quotes are never footnoted. So I can't track down these quotes to see if they are legit.
Tony Fecteau
Jan 09, 2012 Tony Fecteau rated it did not like it
Shelves: bookclub
Although I learned a lot about the Year 501, I found the reading of this book extremely tedious! The content was good, very detail oriented (for people like me), but it was pretty boring to read.
Brice B.
Dec 10, 2011 Brice B. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My intro to Chomsky and a personal favorite. Read it in junior high during free time. Earth-shattering to me then, it forever changed my views, greatly improving my understanding of world events.
Mike
Mar 10, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
This book is a phenomenal overview and framework for understanding western imperialism both through history as well as its blue print for today.
Roy
Feb 24, 2008 Roy rated it it was amazing
a wily, sardonic and incisive analysis of american foreign policy. ears to hear!! nuf said.
Clay Duda
I lost it! I wish i knew where it was, but for now it's M.I.A.
Josh
Jan 24, 2009 Josh added it
It took two chapters to get past his style of writing. A quote in a quote in a quote. A fter that it is a look at the history of the corporation that you might not get in school.
Hicham Ayad
Hicham Ayad marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Nishant
Nishant marked it as to-read
Usama Bin Shahid
Usama Bin Shahid is currently reading it
Julian
Julian marked it as to-read
Alaa Najjar
Alaa Najjar marked it as to-read
Paul
Paul is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
Raja Guha
Raja Guha marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
  • The Spanish Anarchists: The Heroic Years 1868-1936
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • Living My Life, Vol. 2
  • Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice
  • The Media Monopoly
  • Bitter Fruit: The Story of the American Coup in Guatemala (Latin American Studies)
  • Cocaine Politics: Drugs, Armies and the CIA in Central America
  • Beyond Chutzpah: On the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History
  • Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology
  • Original Zinn: Conversations on History and Politics
  • Parecon: Life After Capitalism
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • Strike!
  • Watergate: The Corruption of American Politics and the Fall of Richard Nixon
  • Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...