Start by marking “The Ghost Belonged to Me” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Belonged to Me

The Ghost Belonged to Me (Blossom Culp #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,225 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
In 1913 in the Midwest a quartet of characters share adventures from exploding steamboats to "exorcizing" a ghost.
Published April 28th 1975 by Viking Children's Books (first published 1975)

Anne Osterlund
Apr 17, 2009 Anne Osterlund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alexander Armsworth is an ordinary seventh grade boy in 1911. At least, he’d like to be. It’s not his fault he lives in one of the nicer houses in Bluff City. Or that his mother is throwing a coming out party for his older sister. Or that his uncle is a bit . . . crazy.

And it’s REALLY not Alexander’s fault that the girl from across the tracks, Blossom Culp, has started dogging his heels. With stories about halos around the barn. And how that’s the sign of a ghost.

Who cares if her Mama is a fort
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I remember watching the Disney adaptation of this book (originally published in 1975, movie in 1978)and being completely enthralled. Boy sees ghost and is sent on a quest that leads him on all sorts of adventures with his new friend Blossom. It gave me the willies, but in a safe way when I was young. There was treasure and ghosts and suspense! The movie adaptation was called "Child of Glass".

This movie gave me such nostalgia that I looked it up in the early/mid nineties and found that it was a
C.
Apr 08, 2016 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In childhood, I borrowed from my school library; too young to recall stories read once. A familiar scene in “Ghosts I Have Been” enchanted me with déja-vu! Other than references to hitting children, it was enthralling. I was surprised it had a prequel and endeavoured to get: “The Ghost Belonged To Me”. Its protagonist is well-to-do Alexander Armsworth in 1913. Because it features his civil, hilarious family instead of Blossom Culp’s angry gypsy Mother; there is no harshness and I relished every ...more
Julie
Mar 19, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books when I was...oh, 12-ish or so. I saw it on an end cap at the library and picked it up on a whim to see how it held up. Very well, actually. I was pleased to see an old favorite really was pretty good. It's a gentle ghost story, set at the turn of the 20th century, and told by our protagonist, Alexander. All the characters are nicely drawn and have a good, original voice. The ghost story itself is not as scary or creepy as it is atmospheric, and the main theme is ...more
мαяïα❤
In the beinnning,there is a barn where someone
already saw a ghost. It was Alexarder. Alexarder
ander and his friend Blossom, were talking about it and Blossom
were talking about it and Blossom offered maybe it was some kind of
animal. He said Then how do you explain the Light?
Where Alexander saw the Ghost?? They went to the haymow, which
people used a long time ago, The steps were very dusty with cob webs.
So I'm going to tell you but they wanted to go dead or alive.
Alexander gets scared and Blossom
Cinco
Jul 19, 2007 Cinco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
Read this for probably the first time in twenty years earlier this week and loved it all over again.
Kara
Blossom Culp, I love thee. These books were my introduction to juvenile paranormal historical fiction, my love for which never died.
Rebecca McNutt
This book was very eerie. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was certainly creepy and intriguing.
Harry Hunter
Oct 12, 2011 Harry Hunter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
The Ghost Belonged to Me by Richard Peck is the story of a boy named Alexander who discovers with some help of his frienemy Blossom that he can communicate with the afterlife and that there is a ghost named Inez and her dog in his family barn. Know he must find out where the ghosts body is and give it a Christian burial son she can rest in peace. But the whole town learns of the ghost and tries to find her. Eventually though the body of the ghost after Alexander’s great uncle tells them where sh ...more
Honya
I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it often probably, but I love Richard Peck’s writing. The Ghost Belonged to Me was particularly interesting in that it combined his ghost stories with his humorous slice-of-life stories set in the Midwest around the turn of the twentieth century. And it somehow does both brilliantly! There’s a certain chill to Alexander’s ghostly encounters, although they’re mixed with a compassion for the dead girl whose ghost he meets and for her story. But more than scary, ...more
Bart Hopkins
Oct 22, 2012 Bart Hopkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I frequently find myself wishing for the option to use half-stars in ratings. My true rating for this would be 4.5 stars.

First, in a world I feel frequently encourages children to advance too quickly, this is a pleasant YA book. It provides wholesome entertainment. No worries about cursing or drugs; and, there is only the most innocent reference to boy-girl things. Sure, I believe in preparing kids for the real world, but it's nice to give them this type of option. I prefer it.

In regard to the s
Kressel Housman
Jun 12, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
This is actually the first in the “Blossom Culp” series (see my review of Ghosts I Have Been,) but it’s actually Alexander’s story. You might say that Alexander is to Blossom as Tom Sawyer is to Huck Finn. I say this for two reasons: 1) Alexander is privileged while Blossom is poor and 2) For the rest of the series, Richard Peck chose to narrate from Blossom’s point of view. Like Huck, she was the more compelling character.

My analogy falls down for two other reasons, though. 1) Boy-girl dynamic
Sarai
Feb 24, 2010 Sarai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
from Amazon: By A Customer
In 1913 in Bluff City, Missouri, Alexander Arnsworth has seen the eerie glow of a ghost in the barnloft window so often he's come to think of the ghost as "belonging to me." Alexander's plucky friend, Blossom Culp, lives on the other side of the trolley tracks. Together, they explore the barnloft and discover the tormented ghost of Inez Dumaine, a little girl who died in 1861 on the Mississippi River. The rest of this wonderful novel is pure fun. Highly Recommended!

I fi
Rick Bavera
Feb 28, 2014 Rick Bavera rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful and humorous story. The historical setting is a vehicle for presenting some interesting facts from the era--setting is 1913 Illinois.
The first person account-style is reminiscent of the Henry Reed books of Keith roberston.

The main character is Alexander, who doubts the existence of ghosts. His experience in the story, as well as the acceptance by others, helps him change his mind.

The "flatness" of the characters in the early part of the book is how a 13-yr+old would see oth
Jane Stewart
DNF. I read the first third and the last two chapters. It did not pull me emotionally.

I think the author was trying to be like Mark Twain. A school age boy and his friend help a ghost. They later travel down the Mississippi with the ghost’s remains.

I’ve loved many children’s books, but this didn’t do anything for me. It’s written for middle school kids.

It’s told in first person which is not my favorite.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 1st person Alexander. Story length: 179 pages. Copyright: 1975. Genre: yo
Anne
May 30, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I read this when I was a child, and it stuck with me. When you're thirty nine years old and suddenly have the compulsion to find a book from your childhood, you reread it. Richard Peck paints a clear and fantastic picture of a young boy who discovers a ghost in his barn thanks to a nosey (but ultimately delightful) neighbor girl. The book takes place in the early 1900s, which is a time period that not many mid-level books are written about.

When I say I'd read this again, I'm obviously not kiddi
S. Harrell
Dec 01, 2010 S. Harrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This book is a children's classic. It's a wonderfully powerful story of relationships beyond the veil. If you are someone who sees spirits this book is one of your best guides. I loved this story as a child. As an adult who works with spirits and those in form, I recommend this book to my clients who see spirits and want to learn how to respond to them compassionately. It is indeed a children's book with lessons from which everyone can learn.
Alyssa
Nov 23, 2015 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to escape into an easy read and as I was scanning my bookshelves I glanced over the young adult section and decided to dive into some of the books that shaped me into the reader that I am today. This series still delights me to this day and it was like greeting old friends when I opened the cover.
Emily
Jan 27, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the early 1900s and set in an undefined smallish town in the Midwest, this book follows a boy named Alexander. After he is told by a classmate and neighbor, Blossom, there is a ghost in his barn loft, he investigates reluctantly to discover it's true; the ghost must be laid to rest, and his life is never the same. I felt like reading a YA ghost story, and this is definitely a good one.
Sam
May 08, 2008 Sam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
This children's book is not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to read it. Written in the 1990s, it smacks of nostalgia, a longing for a simpler time, while telling a ghost story from a boy's perspective.
Annie
Jul 18, 2013 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgic-books
"The Ghost Belonged To Me" is a young adult novel by Richard Peck. The story deals with a boy named Alexander who, with the help of a spindly, spooky classmate named Blossom, has to help a young ghost rest in peace. Alexander's adventure is very well written, fun, and an all-around good book for children or a nostalgic adult.
Let me start my actual review of the book by saying that this story is not an Ellen Hopkins-like, gritty, young adult novel, and if you are looking for that sort of literat
Aug 03, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up watching the old Disney movie "Child of Glass" which was based on this book. So I was eager to read this, especially as I enjoy Richard Peck as an author.

I admit, though, I liked the movie better. The book disappointed me. I felt the movie version had a MUCH stronger and more compelling plot -- the book honestly bored me a bit. It was just TOO simple, there wasn't a great deal of conflict. It all felt rather dry.

More than once, I felt as though Peck could have done really interesting t
Barbm1020
Sep 20, 2014 Barbm1020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about 30 years ago when my middle-school daughter read it and loved it. Richard Peck lets 13 year old Alexander Armsworth and his classmate Blossom Culp tell their own stories. This is the first of four. The year is 1913, and Blossom's mysterious Mama, who always dresses in black and makes cryptic remarks about the Unseen and the Spirit World, tells Alexander that he has the power to see the supernatural. What he sees is a ghost in the old barn behind his house. Nobody believes ...more
Michael Clemens
Peck's recipe is familiar here: take one tween- or teenage child living in rural America in the early twentieth century, mix in a rich family life (and at least one Wild Elderly Relative), season with a culture clash and leaven with humor. Even though the ingredients are much the same as in A Year Down Yonder and Fair Weather, Peck manages to keep the book fresh by introducing a ghost story/mystery with a drawn-out ending that's bittersweet. Peck has a gift for a finely-honed phrase and rural di ...more
Maya Rock
Apr 30, 2007 Maya Rock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the the series, this one from the POV of Alexander instead of Blossom. Fun because you get to see Blossom from an outside perspective. From this book I learned about New Orlean's funerals.

You can learn a lot from these books. I realize a lot of my mental image of pre WWI, post 1900 America is drawn from them.

I feel like my reviews for this series have been a little lackluster so let me share the vague recollection of the scary story Blossom tells the class about her aunt. I am
Linda Lipko
It is 1913 in Bluff City, MO and 12 year old Alexander Armsworth discovers that the barn on his parents property contains the ghost of a young Creole girl and her dog. When a local reporter gets hold of the story, mayhem abounds.

Alexander's classmate Blossum lives on the wrong side of the tracks. She observes the high society antics of the Armsworths while hiding in the hedges. When she also observes the ghost, Alexander reluctantly has a confidant.

I enjoy the works of Richard Peck and this one
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is the first in the Blossom Culp series. Basically Alexander is a young teen who lives in Illinois when street cars are the new form of transportation in town. When his friend Blossom Culp lets him know that he is one of the few that can see ghosts and the like, and that there is a ghost living in the old barn behind his house, Alexander doesn't know what to believe. Then he sees the ghost...not once but multiple times. And the ghost wants him to save a whole street car full of people who w ...more
Cupof Tea
I was surprised when I started this book that the narrator was not Blossom Culp herself, although this is the first of the "Blossom Culp" series set in Bluff City. I had read the second book a long time ago so I assume they were all told from her perspective.

However, Blossom still plays a major role in the story, and it was nice to see her from the eyes of an observer, as she would never describe herself as having "spider legs" and her gumption would not be so admired in her own mind :)

A simple
Joy
Jul 10, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Cloe Paet found it on the library shelf
I am impressed with this series. The Ghost Belongs to Me is the first book in this series. It introduces a turn of the century small town with colorful characters. One interesting character is Blossom Culp. Blossom is a school girl that has the 'Second Sight'. Her neighbor Alexander gets to hear all about her stories and visions and is often drawn into ghostly experiences. The series is a wonderful mix of history and the supernatural. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Ab
Jun 14, 2010 Ab rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-ness
I really enjoy Blossom Culp, and after reading the second in the series, "Ghosts I Have Been," I think I was spoiled by having Blossom as the narrator/main character. Alexander is fine in this one, but I wanted more Blossom!! The New Orleans stuff was interesting, though, especially having visited this summer, I remember Cemetery Number One, and Marie Laveau's grave, etc. Still a neat book -- want to read more!
Goodreads Librari...: The Ghost Belonged to Me 3 15 Dec 27, 2014 09:46AM
  • Jane-Emily
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • What The Witch Left
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • The Ghosts
  • The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1)
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • The House on Hound Hill
  • Impunity Jane
  • The Gentleman Outlaw and Me--Eli
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (Johnny Dixon, #4)
  • Wizard's Hall
  • Mirror of Danger (Come Back, Lucy)
  • A Stranger Came Ashore
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...

Blossom Culp (4 books)
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp (Blossom Culp, #3)
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)