Start by marking “Secrets, Lies and Democracy” as Want to Read:
Secrets, Lies and Democracy

Secrets, Lies and Democracy

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  753 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This fascinating book describes how the Nazis won WWII, the coming eco-catastrophe, and much more. It has averaged 1700 copies a month for years, and sales are actually increasing.

Noah Chomsky has been hailed by the New York Times as "arguably the most important intellectual alive". In this third volume in a series of illuminating interviews, Chomsky discusses why the U.S.
Paperback, The Real Story Series, 127 pages
Published July 1st 2002 by Odonian Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets, Lies and Democracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets, Lies and Democracy

AJ
Jul 19, 2007 AJ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humanity conscious
Shelves: political
I have recently begun to question my understanding of history, ethics, and authority. Philosophy teaches us there are several ways to interpret who/what deems truth – authority is one way. However, what are the principles and ethics upon which that authority is legislating decisions.

I enjoyed the array of coined terminology that Chomsky enlightens the readers as to the layman meaning. Additionally, the more I can learn what the agenda(s) of authority is, the more I am able to compare and contra
albin james
Dreamland

It's a long long way from Canada
A long way from snow chains
Donkey vendors slicing coconut
No parkas to their name
Black babies covered in baking flour
The cook's got a carnival song
We're going to lay down some place shady
With dreamland coming on
Dreamland dreamland
Dreamland dreamland

Walter Raleigh and Chris Columbus
Come marching out of the waves
And claim the beach and all concessions
In the name of the suntan slave
I wrapped that flag around me
Like a Dorothy Lamour sarong
And I lay down thinki
bob
I find Noam Chomsky is easier to understand in interviews. He clears away the fog manufactured by governments and corporations to hide their real motives. There is a hint of anger toward these villains but a belief that ordinary citizens can direct their own lives and live in harmony through organizing and activism.
Danny
The only accepted "conspiracy theorist" in the world.
Minh-Hai
The book is a collection of interviews of Noam Chomsky by David Barsamian. The scope of the book is quite broad, from US social issues (democracy, health care, crimes, etc) to US foreign policies, World War II.

Very critical, liberal and interesting insights on those topics. I think the US and the world need more intellectuals like him. However, the book is very short and within answers to interviewing questions, there are not many details nor references. I think I'll look for more rigorous resou
Anne Sharkey

Pretty dated at this stage but still relevant for the most part. Would love an updated version but may have to put in the ground work myself with my next read.
Kate
A compendium of interviews with Noam Chomsky from the mid to early 90's I presume. An easy, fast read.

But even though its nearly 20 years old, the topics are still relevant today, about the domination of corporate power over our democratic process; people's behavior toward it and possible answers.

At the end of the book is a listing of non-profit orgs that people can get involved in if they wish to "do something".

Good book, highly recommend for anyone interested in understanding some fundamenta
Brett
This book was part of a series of short books that feature Chomsky being interviewed about various subjects. It's from the early 1990s, so the material is dated and there isn't a lot of supporting evidence--just Chomsky giving his opinions on whatever he's asked about.

These are fine books I guess, though designed for beginners. Anyone seriously interested in exploring Chomsky's thought has to look elsewhere though--these are just bare bones outlines.
Kayla
I was completely unaware of the topics brought up in this book. For example, Noam Chomsky talked about the way German POWs were treated during WWII. The situation was hush-hush and completely illegal. In addition, the conversation about Chile and Cambodia were heartbreaking and mind-blowing.
Trevor
Chomsky, as is his wont, sees evil everywhere but still has a ridiculously idealistic view of what humanity is capable of. Can't agree with that aesthetic, but he does have a few interesting points.
Thomas
Chomsky tells it like it is. This one is an interview about random topics rather than a sustained inquiry into one topic. so it's not as engrossing as other work of his.
Masahiro Jackson
As I bought this, the proprietor of the used book store warned, "Be careful." That was it, and I believe it certainly says it all.
Lilian
Chomsky taught me everything I know about American "Democracy."
Vikas Lather
It is a good collection of wide range of topics
Xchel
Get a brain boner. Read this book.
Dan
challenges assumptions
Amanu
Read Chomsky.
Bloblo
Again, one of the first Chomsky books for me to read. Great for beginners on what he has to say. Short in length and small (could fit in your pocket). Like some other books with Chomsky, this is done in a sort of q&a format. This and two others in the series are highly recommended for Chomsky beginners.
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Aimee Angle
Aimee Angle marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Hattie
Hattie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Rahil Shah
Rahil Shah marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Amine  The First
Amine The First marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
  • On the Justice of Roosting Chickens: Consequences of American Conquest & Carnage
  • Against Empire
  • Pet Food Politics: The Chihuahua in the Coal Mine
  • Bakunin: The Creative Passion
  • The Massacre at El Mozote
  • Eugene V. Debs: Citizen and Socialist
  • The Exception to the Rulers: Exposing Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love Them
  • Existencilism
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order