Secrets, Lies and Democracy (The Real Story)

Secrets, Lies and Democracy (The Real Story)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  700 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This fascinating book describes how the Nazis won WWII, the coming eco-catastrophe, and much more. It
Published July 1st 2002 by Odonian Press (first published July 1st 1994)

AJ
Jul 19, 2007 AJ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humanity conscious
Shelves: political
I have recently begun to question my understanding of history, ethics, and authority. Philosophy teaches us there are several ways to interpret who/what deems truth – authority is one way. However, what are the principles and ethics upon which that authority is legislating decisions.

I enjoyed the array of coined terminology that Chomsky enlightens the readers as to the layman meaning. Additionally, the more I can learn what the agenda(s) of authority is, the more I am able to compare and contra...more
bob
I find Noam Chomsky is easier to understand in interviews. He clears away the fog manufactured by governments and corporations to hide their real motives. There is a hint of anger toward these villains but a belief that ordinary citizens can direct their own lives and live in harmony through organizing and activism.
Danny
The only accepted "conspiracy theorist" in the world.
Minh-Hai
The book is a collection of interviews of Noam Chomsky by David Barsamian. The scope of the book is quite broad, from US social issues (democracy, health care, crimes, etc) to US foreign policies, World War II.

Very critical, liberal and interesting insights on those topics. I think the US and the world need more intellectuals like him. However, the book is very short and within answers to interviewing questions, there are not many details nor references. I think I'll look for more rigorous resou...more
Anne Sharkey

Pretty dated at this stage but still relevant for the most part. Would love an updated version but may have to put in the ground work myself with my next read.
Kate
A compendium of interviews with Noam Chomsky from the mid to early 90's I presume. An easy, fast read.

But even though its nearly 20 years old, the topics are still relevant today, about the domination of corporate power over our democratic process; people's behavior toward it and possible answers.

At the end of the book is a listing of non-profit orgs that people can get involved in if they wish to "do something".

Good book, highly recommend for anyone interested in understanding some fundamenta...more
Brett
This book was part of a series of short books that feature Chomsky being interviewed about various subjects. It's from the early 1990s, so the material is dated and there isn't a lot of supporting evidence--just Chomsky giving his opinions on whatever he's asked about.

These are fine books I guess, though designed for beginners. Anyone seriously interested in exploring Chomsky's thought has to look elsewhere though--these are just bare bones outlines.
Kayla
I was completely unaware of the topics brought up in this book. For example, Noam Chomsky talked about the way German POWs were treated during WWII. The situation was hush-hush and completely illegal. In addition, the conversation about Chile and Cambodia were heartbreaking and mind-blowing.
Trevor
Chomsky, as is his wont, sees evil everywhere but still has a ridiculously idealistic view of what humanity is capable of. Can't agree with that aesthetic, but he does have a few interesting points.
Thomas
Chomsky tells it like it is. This one is an interview about random topics rather than a sustained inquiry into one topic. so it's not as engrossing as other work of his.
Masahiro Jackson
As I bought this, the proprietor of the used book store warned, "Be careful." That was it, and I believe it certainly says it all.
Steven Salaita
Another pocket Chomsky reader. If you go with one of them, What Uncle Sam Really Wants is the best, in my opinion.
Lilian
Chomsky taught me everything I know about American "Democracy."
Vikas Lather
It is a good collection of wide range of topics
Xchel
Get a brain boner. Read this book.
Dan
challenges assumptions
Amanu
Read Chomsky.
Bloblo
Again, one of the first Chomsky books for me to read. Great for beginners on what he has to say. Short in length and small (could fit in your pocket). Like some other books with Chomsky, this is done in a sort of q&a format. This and two others in the series are highly recommended for Chomsky beginners.
Tarlia Jane
Tarlia Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Aleck Kit
Aleck Kit marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
China
China marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
fawn
fawn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Bachir
Bachir marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Brendan D.
Brendan D. marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
  • Banging Your Head Against a Brick Wall
  • What We Leave Behind
  • Democracy for the Few
  • Dreaming War: Blood for Oil and the Cheney-Bush Junta
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • When Corporations Rule the World
  • Beyond Chutzpah: On the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History
  • The Massacre at El Mozote
  • Wealth and Democracy: A Political History of the American Rich
  • Malcolm X Speaks: Selected Speeches and Statements
  • Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H...more
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order