Start by marking “Skin Deep” as Want to Read:
Skin Deep

Skin Deep

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  497 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Skin Deep is the third (following El Borbah and Big Baby) of a hardcover series of four volumes reprinting his acclaimed oeuvre up to his current project, the ongoing Black Hole comic book series.

Skin Deep includes Burns' popular character, Dog Boy, a red-blooded All-American boy with the transplanted heart of a dog, which was turned into a live action segment on MTV's Liq
Published November 17th 2001 by Fantagraphics (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Skin Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin Deep

Lee Foust
I love the monster Kid, Mexican wrestling, Twilight Zone, imaginary early '60s, sick, slightly off, David Cronenbergesque biological mutation, science fiction, psychedelic world that Charles Burns creates in his work. These are three stories from his Big Baby strip loosely linked together, a kind of weird, episodic-horror-anthology-film-by-Amicus triptych. Mostly in Burns' stuff I find all of the above stylistic elements covering up an actually naive early '60s comic strip innocence with the cur ...more
Josephus FromPlacitas
Accidentally got the Spanish edition from the library -- pretty great, though I'm sure the translation and my slackass understanding of the King's Castellano detracted from the writing a tad. Love that late 80s/early 90s grotesque style. A world of impenetrable retro freaks, slick-haired evangelicals and sales jerks, projected from the 1950s through the Reagan nightmare with a heavy dose of EC horror comix. Great shit. Romance gone awry with a wonderful touch, an epic televangelical empire build ...more
Brent Legault
If Rod Serling had had an "acid baby" with Elvira. . . or if the old Night Gallery had been broadcast from an alien planet. . . or if H. P. Lovecraft had moved to Los Angeles and started a punk rock band circa 1977. . .
Ben Cheng
Dripping with style, Skin Deep is as revolting as it is charming. You'll often wonder how far Charles Burns will go in twisting his already demented stories further. However, the stories present in this volume as well as the other works of Charles Burns serialized in "RAW" all exude style over substance. Despite the stories lacking depth, the dialogue is humorous and the art style is hilarious and cool. Definitely worth checking out
Jeremy G
Amazing, simply amazing. Charles Burns is known for his twisted comical plots, and he dose very well with this one. My favorite story is Burn Again! It's funny, clover, and demented! If you've never read a Charles burns comic start out with this one.
Craig
Less cohesive and ultimately less successful than BIG BABY. I did appreciate his cameo here, though. This volume is certainly not concerned with the childlike view of the world, as the all-too-familiar lures of the adult world takeover here.
R
Burns says, It's a cold, cruel world.
For things like dog-boy and Bliss Blister, it really is. It's like taking that extra bean you found on the floor of the club, only to realize your hair is now symmetrical H R Giger tentacles and the world you live in is controlled by an angry, one-eyed GAWD who drives even Bill Burroughs crazy with His demands. "Burn Again" is the best story here, combining fanatic evangelism with aliens and a revenge plot. Burns draws his characters like he is on drugs, but
Liorah Hoek
Leuk om even wat korte verhalen te lezen van Burns. Unheimisch.
David
Zhulené a černobílé. Já víc od komiksu nechci. :-)
Barry
All the cliche words apply: weird, funny, beautiful, strange, etc. etc. Being that his character Big Baby was my favorite creation so far, I was excited (then subsequently disappointed) to see him at the beginning of "Dog Days," but luckily the rest of the story held up pretty well. "Burn Again" felt a little long for me, but then, it was a big story, so I'm not sure what I would have changed. And I was downright laughing out loud at "Marriage From Hell." All in all, a somewhat uneven but very s ...more
Adam
Beautiful, weird, disturbing, E.C. Comics-esque acid trip. Amazing art. Doesn't have the pathos of BLACK HOLE, but not much does.
Vktr
Opět lehce bizarní příběhy jak z mazací hlavy Davida Lynche, které se mi "pod kůži" skutečně dostali a o "povrchnosti" má smysl se bavit jen v sémantické rovině v poznámce pod čarou. Navíc opět ta skvělá kresba. Především obličeje zvládá Burns bravurně a nikoliv nadarmo je jich na předsádce celá galerie. Na další Burnsův sešit se těším jak malej Jarda.
Bouman
Las historias que recoge son Dog Days, Burn Again y A Marriage Made in Hell; y como nos tiene acostumbrado el autor, todas ellas transcurren bajo una crítica social con ambiente extraño, unos personajes atípicos y unas historias originales.

Los tres coinciden en la perversión del individuo y la mente, ... http://www.underbrain.com/comic/skind...
Samuel Zaber
Disturbing, dark, humorous. Skin Deep is a collection of three stories told in the macabre style of the 1950s horror cartoons that so outraged the red-blooded Americans. Horrific characters populate these stories, even the random background characters are disfigured or cruel. Not as gruesome as, say, Sandman but not light entertainment.
Penelope
Charles Burns is amazing. His illustrations, ability to tell a story, and morbid sense of humor/irony combine to create the ultimate book. These stories don't really attempt to be as profound as Black Hole, but I didn't mind. They're no less entertaining, and absolute gems of graphic storytelling. Check it out.
Nick
It's nowhere near as polished and profound as Black Hole, but this will do just fine as an introduction to Charles Burns. I sat down and read it cover to cover in about 30 minutes, so it's a low-commitment way to discover his pretty uniquely wretched/sublime universe.
sweet pea
a little more sprawling, if no less twisted, than his other work. the stories didn't grab my attention the way his other work does. but his illustrations are wicked enough to make the book worthwhile.
This can't come near to touching the brilliance of Black Hole, however it was an entertaining read. I especially liked the story in which god appears as a giant eyeball. I found Dog Boy a little silly.
Spencer
one of the most creative artists alive. He can spin a crazy yarn and illustrate it like no one on earth can. absolutely original. this one is not for all, or even most tastes.
Megan Kirby
Wonderful satire, and a definite must-read flashback for Burns fans. Made me wish I'd been born a decade earlier so that I could have been reading RAW through the 90's.
Eric
This guy is the jam. Graphic stories of freaks and geeks and the crazy world they live in.
Dave Peticolas

A graphic novel about doomed romance. Very strange and pretty good.

Patrick
So. Weird. Still, pretty fun.
Denisse Valdenegro
Denisse Valdenegro marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
  • Powr Mastrs 1
  • Weathercraft
  • Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron
  • Prison Pit, Vol. 2
  • Love and Rockets: New Stories #3
  • The Acme Novelty Library #15: Joke Book II
  • Pure Trance
  • Billy Hazelnuts (Billy Hazelnuts, #1)
  • The Bradleys
  • Garden
  • GoGo Monster
  • The Ticking
  • Berlin, Vol. 2: City of Smoke
  • The Poor Bastard
CHARLES BURNS grew up in Seattle in the 1970s. His work rose to prominence in Art Spiegelman's Raw magazine in the mid-1980s and took off from there, in an extraordinary range of comics and projects, from Iggy Pop album covers to the latest ad campaign for Altoids. In 1992 he designed the sets for Mark Morris's restaging of The Nutcracker (renamed The Hard Nut) at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. He ...more
More about Charles Burns...
Black Hole X'ed Out The Hive Big Baby El Borbah