Start by marking “The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism” as Want to Read:
The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism

The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This fascinating compilation of the journalist's art unites the reporter's magnificent eye for detail with the novelist's gift for storytelling. Featuring eyewitness accounts of war and social revolution, profiles of sports heroes and politicians, and eye-opening investigations into both the mundane and the eccentric details of life, it includes:

Includes:

Preface by Ben Ya
Published August 3rd 1998 by Scribner (first published August 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Fact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Fact

Dick Reynolds
Mar 02, 2013 Dick Reynolds rated it it was amazing
This book was a Christmas present from my daughter-in-law and I can’t remember a gift I’ve enjoyed so much.
There are fifty-eight pieces in the book and they span a great variety and time frame of literary journalism beginning with entries by Defoe, Boswell and Dickens, and winding up with Tom Wolfe and Joan Didion. Many of these pieces are extracts of a larger work and are so entertaining and well-written that you immediately want to read the entire work. It’s like being confronted with a grou
Steffani
Sep 24, 2013 Steffani rated it really liked it
I've always loved the type of journalism that puts the reader in the middle of a vivid scene--true stories written with a novelist's attention to detail.

Kerrane has collected a beautifully diverse series of just this type of writing. This anthology of literary journalism includes essays, articles, and feature stories from the time of pioneers like Dickens and Orwell to more contemporary journalists like John Steinbeck and David Simon.

It's the kind of writing that makes you think--outside of yo
Jasmine Dilmanian
Sep 05, 2015 Jasmine Dilmanian rated it it was amazing
An amazing compendium of the best writing in modern history. One of my favorites.
Clarence Cromwell
Dec 18, 2012 Clarence Cromwell rated it it was amazing

The best selection of literary journalism I've seen. This volume includes the usual suspects (Tom Wolfe and Hunter Thompson--yawn) as well as my favorites: Joan Didion and John Steinbeck. Also found a new interest in Jimmy Breslin who has heretofore remained beneath the radar.

A very useful book for comparing styles and techniques; or for absorbing ideas about different ways to approach a story.
Patrick
Oct 20, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was an incredible cross-sampling of journalism through the ages, starting with a Q&A article written in the 17th century and ending with a tear-jerker column from the 1990s. Inbetween are dozens of amazing stories that stealthily show you the evolution of journalism to story teller. This is a must read for journalism fans or anyone who defines themselves as a story teller.
Rania QI
May 11, 2013 Rania QI rated it really liked it
Every piece in this anthology stimulated my passion for literary journalism. Some of the pantheons of this field are included in this book: Gay Talese, George Orwell, Morris Markey, Tom Wolfe, just to name a few. It makes a perfect addition to any creative nonfiction collection.
Dietrich
I took a literary journalism class with a classically absent-minded professor, did very little of the assigned work, and ended up with a C+. I was ready to write off the whole experience as a waste of time, but then I took a closer look at the assigned text, which was great.
Kyle
Aug 19, 2008 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Not going to lie, I had both these guys as professors, so my review might be biased. If you want to know about the history of journalism and sprinkle some of the greatest fiction writing in between, this is the anthology for you. It's great.
Rachel
Sep 01, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-excerpts
I only read a selection from this book, but it included interesting and well-written non-fiction stories. One of my favorites was entitles, "The Bronx Slave Market."
Geoffrey
Sep 05, 2009 Geoffrey rated it liked it
good collection for those who want to see the broad range of good non-fiction
Brendan Huffman
Feb 24, 2008 Brendan Huffman rated it really liked it
Great book filled with important, mostly short, works of nonfiction.
Dara
Aug 27, 2013 Dara rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Read portions for class. Not particularly to my tastes.
Meghan
Jun 25, 2012 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: required-reading
My favorite collection of essays!!
Pen
Pen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Zeke Lihosit
Zeke Lihosit marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Ann Highfield
Ann Highfield marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
49tales
49tales marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Hideki
Hideki marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Toby
Toby marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Arturo Pina
Arturo Pina marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Richard A.
Richard A. rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Richard Mugisha
Richard Mugisha marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Seth Thomas
Seth Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Mari
Mari rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Lazershire
Lazershire marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Lovepreet Ajra
Lovepreet Ajra rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
  • Shamans Through Time
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Philosopher's Handbook: Essential Readings from Plato to Kant
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
  • The Age of Religious Wars, 1559-1715
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • The Foundations of Early Modern Europe: 1460-1559
  • The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present (The Norton History of Modern Europe)
  • Modern Japanese Literature: From 1868 to the Present Day
  • Literary Journalism
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
  • Roads of Destiny
  • Kiss, Kiss / Switch Bitch / My Uncle Oswald

“‎Theorists of journalism have long noted parallels to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in physics: by reporting on something, one subtly but irrevocably changes it.” 2 likes