Start by marking “Disaster Suites” as Want to Read:
Disaster Suites

Disaster Suites

Poetry. "A paradox sets these disquieting and beautiful DISASTER SUITES into motion. They produce a music--'missing in the count now counts as one'--reaching for the disappearance of the very conditions that make it audible: war, so-called natural catastrophe, a 'public sphere where there is no / Public.' As in the songs of William Blake and the sci-fi novels of Octavia Bu ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Palm Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Disaster Suites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disaster Suites

CA
May 31, 2009 CA rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT!
I've created a (Soma)tic Reading Enhancement for it, which you can see at the ATTENTION SPAN 2009 List here: http://thirdfactory.wordpress.com/200...

THIS IS AN AMAZING YEAR FOR POETRY!
CAConrad

------------------

There have been some amazing books of poetry this year, and this one (for me) is a favorite! We're at a bootblack junction, here, together, and these suites feel the pain so well.

Now let's recount ourselves in terms of crisis dynamics
Depict the ends of s
David Wolach
Jun 01, 2009 David Wolach rated it it was amazing
Recommended to David by: hmmm, first? Erica Kaufman, I think
If, as in Halpern's (and Brady's) Snow Sensitive Skin, to hear is, in deliberate and painstaking (and painful) ways, to listen to what one's ear hears and does not hear, Disaster Suites is the broken music box of worlds of distances that feel our suppositions of the most intimate proximity to catastrophes that are, in fact, unFELT miles away. The distance between "I" and its supposed referents; the distance between disaster felt and disaster thought, then said; the distance between a lyric of si ...more
Adam
Apr 14, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it
good synergy between the work and his essay at the end apologizing for some of its aspects, explaining others - a nice move of disclaimer that comes off as interesting rather than negative; adds a dimension to our experience of poetic response to disaster.

all in all interesting that he can mix a style reminiscent of oppen's philosophical abstractions with socio-political critique. to make the case that real situations are worthy of the highest cognitive attention.

at the same time, some of the an
Jamie Townsend
Feb 18, 2010 Jamie Townsend rated it it was amazing
This book is a revelation, a multiversal lyric that sings clearly through its own fracture/fracturing without device or gimmick. Not -away from- but unflinchingly -out of- the state of things, DS is book about the real, the continuous, and raw, so culturally abstracted and conceptualized; the politics of product held close to the site of disaster. Oppen's "materials" are given a new time and place here, as particles reaching forward into an as of yet unnamed future.
Taylor
Sep 15, 2008 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Along with Moten's, the other "best book of 2009" for me so far. More to say about this with a bit of distance, later -- right now it seems to have suffused all my reading of poetry and left not much room for critical engagement. Read this book!
Apr 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Devoured on a subway ride, to be returned to & again--with an afterword that specifies the desired ephemerality of its impulses--& thereby makes it a lasting, loved study in the lyric's sporadic power.
Henry
Apr 20, 2015 Henry added it
I was given this book to help with a paper in a 300 level English class. This work added nothing for me. I found the prose empty and disappointing.
K
K rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2009
Gilessamantha
Gilessamantha rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2009
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Sammy
Sammy rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2010
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2012
Vincent
Vincent rated it liked it
May 30, 2013
Hilary
Hilary rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Maarten Buser
Maarten Buser rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Mark Words
Mark Words rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Barry
Barry rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2010
Danika
Danika rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2010
amber
amber rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2009
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Geoffrey Olsen
Geoffrey Olsen rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2009
Michael Bernstein
Michael Bernstein rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2010
Rick
Rick rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2009
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Laura Wetherington
Laura Wetherington rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2013
Mat Laporte
Mat Laporte rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2012
evan
evan rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2010