Start by marking “Shadowed Summer” as Want to Read:
Shadowed Summer

Shadowed Summer

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,180 Ratings  ·  233 Reviews
Iris is ready for another hot, routine summer in her small Louisiana town, hanging around the Red Stripe grocery with her best friend, Collette, and traipsing through the cemetery telling each other spooky stories and pretending to cast spells. Except this summer, Iris doesn’t have to make up a story. This summer, one falls right in her lap.

Years ago, before Iris was born,
Published February 10th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Kami Garcia
I love books set in the South (The Prince of Tides, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Witching Hour). Unfortunately, most of them are full of tired stereotypes (fried chicken is not the only thing people eat in the South) and take place in towns that feel more like a set of True Blood than actual places in the South.

This is NOT the case in Shadowed Summer. Saundra Mitchell has crafted a novel so real, I could feel the sweat dripping down my neck and found myself standing with the frid
R.J.
Nov 12, 2008 R.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of suspense novels, people who love beautiful writing
If I had seen this book in the bookstore I would probably never have picked it up. A ghost story? A graveyard on the cover? Looks like horror/occult -- so very not my thing.

And then I would have missed out on a beautifully written, fantastically characterized, gripping, suspenseful, and touching book.

Saundra Mitchell's writing is rich and sensuously evocative, yet so easy and natural to read -- a rare combination. Her dialogue sparkles, and the heroine Iris and her friends are absolutely believa
Anastasia Hopcus
Wow. Seriously. Wow.

I just finished Shadowed Summer and I absolutely loved it! It’s the kind of book where the second I close it, I just want to open it back up and read the whole thing again. It's an amazingly fantastic book---it was SXSW in Austin when I was reading this and even though I'm a music fiend, I actually skipped a concert I’d planned on going to because I HAD to finish reading Shadowed Summer.

The characters are so authentic, understandable, and sympathetic that you feel for each a
Kristi
This novel will be haunting me for sure! In case you didn’t know, I’m not a big fan of ghost stories, because I am the biggest wuss. I remember when I read Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the third grade... (this was long before the tv show, there was actually a movie starring Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry, the book was by Richie Cusick)... anyway, I couldn’t sleep for weeks! And I used to watch that show called Are You Afraid of the Dark? Did anyone else watch that? Sorry, back to the review, this ...more
Tamora Pierce
This is a tight, can't-put-down ghost story in which two girls and the dread Boy who attracts them both go seeking a boy who disappeared from their small town when their parents were teenagers. Mitchell raises echoes of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD as the kids get information from different citizens of the town, painting a portrait of it in their meanderings. Iris is the one who attracts Elijah's ghost, and she spends the book balancing her discoveries with her friendship wither rapidly-maturing Colett ...more
Dec 27, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Shadowed Summer, a beautiful confection of deftly handled prose, mystery and extremely lovable characters. The end is shocking and sweet, much like the rest of it.

Where y'at, Saundra Mitchell? I hope a bookshop near me, often, for years to come.
Ash
Aug 27, 2009 Ash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I wasn't totally sure about this book. I don't read much mystery or ghost stories so I didn't know what to expect. I wasn't really expecting to like it, but I still felt compelled to read it for some reason. Turns out that was a good thing.

Quick Overview: Iris and her best friend Collete are 14 and live in a tiny and boring Louisianna town. They spend the hot summer days pretending to cast spells in the cemetary, one day though Iris actaully sees the ghost of a boy. He continues to hau
Lexie
Sarah MacLean
Jun 27, 2008 Sarah MacLean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I read Shadowed Summer in one sitting...it is a fantastic story and sets a standard for modern ghost stories that will be hard to match.

I adored Iris...her relationships with her friends and family are perfectly executed, her emotional turmoil is thoroughly compelling, and I just wished she'd never end.

Congrats to Saundra Mitchell for taking this romance novel-obsessed reader and making me care deeply for a ghost story.
Heidi
Jan 16, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadowed Summer drew me right back to early teen/childhood, that bizarre and beautiful time of life where nothing and everything makes sense all at once. A chilling mystery and coming of age story so uniquely written, you will have to dig deep to find a cliche in Saundra Mitchell's lyrical prose.

The narrator Iris is tough and flawed and funny. I rooted for her from start to finish and admired the scratches and cuts on her knees---this is a kid, like Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn before her, that just
Valerie
I was interested in this book dispite the main characters age being a few years younger than me. She seems like a regular 14 year old, except for the fact that she still played pretend. Usually by 14 your done playing pretend, and that is one thing that bothered me. The other was that I couldn't really like any of the characters, not even the ghost. The main character easily jumps to conclusions, especially about her father.
A positive point is that I really liked the writing in this book. The a
Cindy
Mar 14, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
mitchell drew me with her first sentence in shadowed summer, and i was sucked in all the way until the end. this debut is a story like nothing i have read before in young adult, with voice spot on, incredible dialogue (not surprised mitchell also happens to be a screenwriter) and interesting yet complicated relationships. iris is the perfect heroine, and i was with her all the way. the mystery of eli's murder held me to the very end, to a conclusion that stunned, was heartbreaking, yet made so m ...more
~Tina~
Apr 12, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadowed Summer was a fast read that was direct and to the point. It's a brilliant mystery surrounding a girl named Iris who doesn't need to make up ghost stories anymore.
She's got her own ghost to worry about.
Vividly written, Intriguing plot and likable characters. My only complaint was the page count, I could have used a couple more hundred pages of this creepy, fun and imaginative world.
A chill-worthy read!
Stacey
Oct 28, 2008 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am leaning more towards 4 1/2 stars on this book because some of the pot points actually surprised me in a good way. I can predict things with crazy scary accuracy when I read books and this one caught me off guard. It was a great read right before Halloween. So fun!
Stephanie
Mar 26, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I expected a lot more from Shadowed Summer. I thought there would be more action and mystery. Instead, there were very few scenes where it had mystery and intrigue.

What I liked best about Shadowed Summer was the idea of a ghost story. When I first read the first chapter, I thought it’ll be scary like The Devouring or Deadly Little Secrets because the first chapter was scary. Especially that last line. However, as I progressed into the novel, I realized that the plot and writing didn’t rivet me.
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 Liviania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iris and Colette are bored of small-town Louisiana. They're too old to be happy hanging out at the Dairy Queen and too young to drive anywhere more interesting. So they hang about places with atmosphere like the cemetary and cast "spells." It's just play-acting fun until Iris actually encounters a ghost - a breeze and a male voice asking "Where y'at, Iris?"

Logically, Iris wants to know who the voice belongs to and what he wants, especially as his attempts to get her attention become more petulan
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
After about five days of flipping through books trying to find one to get lost in, I finally openned up Saundra Mitchell's SHADOWED SUMMER. Why hadn't I just gone to the book first? It had come to me highly recommended, so why didn't I just start there? Regardless, I did start it and it was amazing. SHADOWED SUMMER is a southern gothic ghost story. From the first pages, Mitchell drew me into her world and kept me reading. Her setting - A small Louisanna town in the summer where you can almost fe ...more
Neesha
Oct 03, 2008 Neesha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA and up
I am not a huge fan of ghost stories. Mostly because I am a wuss. When I was younger, say, in grades five through seven, I LOVED ghost stories and curling up with a good mystery. But since I got older? No. Give me the romance and the fluff and the fantasy.

But SHADOWED SUMMER took me back to those days I really, really loved a good ghost story. And this one is SO much more than a ghost story. It reminded me why I liked some more than others. The ones I loved taught me something, showed me somethi
Debora
L’Estate dei fantasmi è un romanzo un po’ speciale. Sicuramente evocativo, possiamo dire che si piazza, in bilico, fra le ghost story e i romanzi mystery.

Certamente diretto ad un pubblico piuttosto giovane (12/14 anni), L’estate dei Fantasmi è il classico romanzo che “appartiene a ciascuno di noi” sotto molti aspetti. Quanti di noi hanno giocato alle streghe da bambini? Chi di noi non ha provato, almeno una volta, a fare un incantesimo? Quanti si sono ritrovati a crescere in un ambiente bigotto
T.V and Book Addict
Iris (very pretty name) and her best friend Collette, both around 14 years old, like to cast spells at a cemetery in their boring town in Louisiana to pass the time during the summer.
One day at the cemetery, a ghost appears in front of Iris saying "Where ya at Iris?" Since then he begins to haunt her and bother her causing her to wonder who this guy is and how he ended up dead.
Iris, Collette and a cute boy, Ben, try to solve this mystery all the while coming across some problems arising from the
Melody
May 29, 2009 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melody by: Wendy
I hate ghost stories and scary stories and suspenseful stories as a rule. Which makes Mitchell's book an exception for me, because I didn't hate it. The writing was so good that I could forgive it for being scary. This one is difficult to review in a spoiler-free manner, as there's so much going on throughout. Beneath the scary, this book is about relationships and secrets and growing up and trying to negotiate through all the currents of a small town. The characters are so finely drawn, so beli ...more
Lkmadigan
Nov 21, 2008 Lkmadigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Nothing ever happened in Ondine, Louisisana, not even the summer Elijah Landry disappeared,” is the opening line of the book. But the summer fourteen-year-old Iris and her best friend Collette decide to call up a ghost, too much happens in Ondine. Buried secrets come to light, old wounds are reopened, and a persistent ghost will not leave Iris in peace.

SHADOWED SUMMER is not just a straightforward ghost story. It is a novel full of treasures – glinting humor, shimmering descriptions, and a bea
Holly
Aug 08, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: death-ghosts
Let's look at the plot, shall we? Girl sees Ghost Boy. Ghost Boy begins to haunt Girl, sometimes wrecking her things. Girl seeks closure for Ghost Boy...and find his body.

All Iris wants to do is turn 16 and get out of her podunk town with her best friend Collette. When they're messing around, they accidentally raise the ghost of Elijah, the boy who disappeared twenty years ago. Iris goes on a mission to find out what happened to him.

It's a mystery and a ghost story, but mostly it's the story of
Megan
Jul 21, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, horror
I was tempted to put this on my "children" shelves, but it deals with some topics that some parents may not want to explain to young children, and besides it is sort of scary ~ not from my adult point of view. But I can see how some kids may be frightened. It's a good book for middle school kids ~ maybe younger, depending on the maturity level of the reader.

Anyhow, a great book and very creepy in parts. I regret that this book wasn't around 25 years ago! It is filled with a lot supernatural hap
Carrie
Jul 22, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone -- adults and teens
Recommended to Carrie by: Saundra Mitchell
I was enthralled by Saundra Mitchell’s debut novel, Shadowed Summer. Over and over again I found myself pausing to re-read descriptions and roll the words around on my tongue, amazed at her clarity, at her ability to find the perfect way to encapsulate this world. I was unable to put it down, not only because Iris captured me so fully, but because I was too afraid to turn out the light!

This is more than a ghost story, it is about a girl on the edge of growing up and learning how to re-define her
Deva Fagan
There are books that I love for the intricate plots and books that I love for the beautiful prose. And then there are the books that have both. Shadowed Summer is one of these. I wanted to race through the book to find out why the ghost of a boy named Elijah is haunting 14-year-old Iris, and to find out the truth about what happened to him. But I also wanted to linger over the little vivid details, beautiful and funny and precise and real.

This is a ghost story that will be haunting me for a whil
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
This book just didn't do it for me. I love YA paranormal fiction but it just seemed really juvenile to me. I only kept reading it because I thought maybe my 12 year old granddaughter would like it, but it may be too scary in parts for that age. The constant wrangling between Iris and her supposedly best friend Collette got on my nerves. The whole thing just didn't go together right, and for a short read I kept wishing it was over. It's the first book I have read in awhile that I just didn't care ...more
Martina Frammartino

Vedono la magia dappertutto, Iris e Colette, adolescenti che sognano di fuggire da un paese, Ondine, in cui l’unico avvenimento di rilievo è stato la scomparsa di un ragazzo, Elijah Landry, avvenuta quando loro non erano ancora nate. E così fingono di poter compiere magie e si dedicano a piccole trasgressioni immaginando di conoscere cose che nessun altro conosce.

Tutto cambia all’improvviso nel momento in cui una delle due ragazzine, Iris, distesa per gioco su una lapide al cimitero, sente una v
Shelley
Apr 03, 2009 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelley by: Sarah Rees Brennan
Shelves: youth, fantasy
Sarah Rees Brennan called it a supernatural To Kill a Mockingbird - coming of age in a sleepy Southern town. I'd give it a 4.5 if I could, and I'd rather round up than down in this case. The atmosphere was incredible, the characterization just about perfect, the writing beautiful and haunting. It was genuinely scary in places and completely heartbreaking in others. There were some great twists and this is about as solid a ghost story as you can get. Creepy and wonderful and more than it seems.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 01, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two young girls, Iris (14), and Collette, and their friend Ben become involved in investigating the disappearance some years previously of a boy named Elijah. Things start when they use an ouija board (in the book it's called a witchboard) and spells to try to get in touch with Elijah. She ends up hearing his voice and even seeing him for a moment.

Things go bad rather quickly, especially for Iris whose home is trashed. Rocks appear from nowhere and her room is damaged. (The events mimic the typ
  • Give Up the Ghost
  • The City in the Lake
  • Walk of the Spirits (Walk, #1)
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Nearly Departed (Weirdsville, #1)
  • Past Midnight (Past Midnight, #1)
  • This Is What I Want to Tell You
  • Secrets of Truth and Beauty
  • Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Jumbee
  • Tighter
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • The Story of Cirrus Flux
  • The Awakening (Ghost Huntress, #1)
  • Freaks and Revelations
Saundra Mitchell is a longtime screenwriter and author. Random House's Delacorte Press published her debut novel, Shadowed Summer, on February 10th, 2009. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's will publish her next novel, The Vespertine in Spring 2011, with its companion novel, The Springsweet, following in Spring 2012.

For almost ten years, she was the sole screenwriter for the Book of Stories, On
More about Saundra Mitchell...