Start by marking “Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)

Sweet Danger (Albert Campion #5)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,002 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
The impoverished Fitton family inhabit a run-down mill in a Suffolk village, and suspect their brother is heir to Averna, suddenly oil rich after an earthquake. The British government assign Albert Campion to find the true owners. The requisite proof of lineage involves an ancient riddle, stolen drum, long-lost bell, priceless crown, and a ruby necklace.

All the books from
Published November 4th 2004 by Vintage (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Danger

Miriam
May 13, 2013 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery

Ms. Allingham, you can't just slap some Ruritanian Romance into your mystery. It does not work, just like the Holy Grail stand-in, tower-of-mystery trappings in Look to the Lady didn't work. And while I'm being blunt, the gritty crime action? You're not so hot at that, either. Stick to the standard parlor-mystery with clues 'n' stuff -- you do that so much better. There's not much mystery in this mystery: the good guys (representing the British government) race to get the Ruritarian McGuffins be
Libros Prestados
Feb 11, 2017 Libros Prestados rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una búsqueda del tesoro con pistas, valientes detectives, peleas y malos malosos que quieren acabar con nuestros protagonistas, pero solo al final, que antes queda anticlimático.

Margery Allingham consigue una historia muy entretenida y divertida, con personajes que caen simpáticos. El misterio no es tan importante. Lo divertido es la persecución de las pistas (el contrato, la corona y el tambor), con ese sabor tan de película clásica de los años 30 0 40.

No es nada del otro mundo, si se analiza c
Jill Hutchinson
I never know if I am going to enjoy Allingham's Campion books since they are erratic. This one didn't make a whole lot of sense and I never knew exactly what was going one since there are so many holes in the plot that are never explained. This story is concerned with the restoration of a title, the hunt for the objects that will provide proof, witchcraft, and the secret machinations of big business to get their hands on land belonging to the putative Earl. It doesn't sound too confusing but fra ...more
Theresa
Feb 16, 2016 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Who is the heir to Averna? Are there any Pontisbrights left to claim this small estate that has suddenly become a much coveted prize property? The dispute over a small parcel of land that an earthquake has revealed to be valuable property will only be settled when proof of the inheritance is found.

"There's every evidence that on the land behind the castle there's an untapped oil field."

Albert Campion, (along with the help of three friends and the irrepressible Lugg), is assigned to the case. Th
Jillian
Feb 14, 2014 Jillian rated it liked it
This is a bit Raiders of the Lost Document/Ark in rural Suffolk. I found Campion's omnipotence a bit trying in this book and some of the escapes-from-death-and-injury caused me to roll my eyes. While Allingham maintains her skill with pace and description, this story would be more suited to a film genre where belief can be more easily suspended. As it is, this reader found it hard to maintain interest through the complexity and detail of the plot and sub-plots, finding some of it indulgence on t ...more
Andrea
This is outright adventure, with discredited heirs, regal impersonations, postage-stamp kingdoms, international implications, and a whale of a treasure hunt.

The story itself is great fun, but Amanda Fitton makes it her own. Flame haired, talking a mile a minute, reviving ancient motor cars, turning an old mill house into a battery-charger, and knowing far more about what's going on than initially expected. She makes a fantastic 'Loot' to Campion's 'Orph', and thankfully reappears several books f
Sam Reaves
Sep 19, 2016 Sam Reaves rated it liked it
Margery Allingham is an old favorite, and every decade or two I go back and re-read the books. This is one I hadn't looked at in a long time; it was fun to rediscover it but just a bit of a disappointment, as I last read it in callow, wide-eyed wonderment. Allingham's books got more serious and credible as the years went by; this one is from her more whimsical early period. Albert Campion, her aristocratic sleuth with connections to the Powers-That-Be, is asked to lead the hunt for a trove of an ...more
Babette
Ah, what fun Campion is. I think my enjoyment is heightened by viewing the BBC dramitization of many of Margery Allingham's Campion mysteries. The characters enacted by Peter Davison (the seemingly distracted sleuth) and Brian Glover (his willful manservant Lugg) are always in my mind as I read these stories. For anyone who has not seen these episodes, buy or rent the DVDs at once!
This book did not disappoint. The bad guys are almost characatures of villians and the good guys are pure and heroic
Azar
Dec 27, 2007 Azar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, etc.
My absolute favorite Campion book thus far. Not only does it have all the elements that made Look to the Lady a favorite, but it also introduces Amanda Fitton, the woman who will eventually win Albert's heart, and you could not find a more perfect match for him--brilliant, stubborn, spirited, long-lost royalty, and best of all, a redhead! *g*
Ashley Abate
Mar 10, 2017 Ashley Abate rated it really liked it
Fun and different!
Alice
Mar 03, 2013 Alice rated it it was amazing
Nancy Oakes
So far, this may be my favorite Campion in the series. I haven't read them all yet, but up to this point, definitely my favorite. I'm amazed that so many people here gave it such low ratings, but to each his own, I suppose. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good adventure story, because it's not so much a mystery, but rather more of a suspense/adventure type thing. I would also say that if you've been following Campion up to this point, you're going to really enjoy this one.

In a
Tiffany
Jan 25, 2013 Tiffany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I think this is one of the rare books in which I liked the screen dramatization better than the book. BBC produced a series called Campion based on these books which I really like. The Fear Sign happened to be the only one of the Albert Campion books that my library had. The book was overall okay with a few scattered laugh out loud lines mixed in. Maybe it was this particular plot line that I didn't particularly enjoy or maybe because I kept comparing it to the show. But I think it would be wort ...more
Cera
Oct 13, 2011 Cera rated it liked it
This had some good characters, including one whom I hope becomes an eventual regular, and it wins big points for having a teenage girl who is an electricity geek, demonstrates tons of agency, and is shown to really brave without being stupid. But the overall plot is definitely more in the thriller category, and I was reading it hoping for detective fiction, so I was not as thrilled as I might otherwise be.
Tracyk
Jan 27, 2012 Tracyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read the entire Allingham series earlier, and liked them all. This one is one of my favorites. I like the ones that feature Amanda Fitton.

The series was written from the late 1920's through the 1960's, and the tone and style is not the same in all of the books. Some were humorous, witty whodunits, some were more serious novels.
Lynsey Dalladay
Jun 24, 2015 Lynsey Dalladay rated it it was amazing
An absolute corker, one of my favourite Campions to date!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This book makes quite a lot more sense than the 1980s TV episode. Part of that may be that I saw it in Spanish, but more I think had to do with the changes the scriptwriters made.

Having said that, I much prefer Campion as a detective than as a James Bondy wannabe. This is more Bulldog Drummond than Holmes or Wimsey. The problem boils down to this: Allingham seems to be running two entirely different stories in tandem, one with a very unsuccessful woo-woo factor, and the other a race to get the
Abrir un Libro
El signo del miedo —cuyo nombre original es Sweet Danger, publicado por primera vez en 1933 en el Reino Unido—, es la quinta entrega del detective Albert Campion creado por la escritora Margery Allingham: un detective aficionado, nacido en una familia aristocrática —incluso podría proceder de la realeza británica—, inteligente, educado y muy intuitivo. Cuenta con un mayordomo, Magersfontein Lugg, que sería la antítesis de Albert Campion: soez, rudo e incluso ex-convicto. Ambos forman una pareja ...more
Anita
Feb 27, 2017 Anita rated it really liked it
"Sweet Danger" has absolutely nothing serious about it. It's a fast-moving hodgepodge that includes solving a riddle, attempted black magic, impoverished nobility wrongfully denied a title, masquerade, and a touch of awkward romance. There's the usual cast of colorful characters, most of whom are not living the privileged life that dominated the last Allingham novel I read. A highlight: we meet Amanda Fitton, who returns in subsequent novels. Fun, but I may have concluded my run of Campion books ...more
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
One of those books with two titles--The Fear Sign, and Sweet Danger. At any rate, it is the fifth Albert Campion mystery. I enjoy reading these older stories once in a while, and I liked watching the Albert Campion series on PBS years ago. I noted back in 2003 that this was very good-- he unraveled an old riddle, and proved who was the heir. I gave it an eight out of ten then, so I will now give it four stars.
Henry
Oct 04, 2016 Henry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book's "McGuffin" (as Alfred Hitchcock called it) is rather far-fetched, but it's the adventure we are looking for, and this one is all right. Allingham is still stuck on an international Napoleon of crime, which gets a bit old after a while, but maybe this is the last one like that.
Kerry
Jul 03, 2010 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REREAD #1: 9/10 (5 October 2004 - 7 October 2004)

I find it strange that I'm having trouble trying to decide what to say about this book. It is my favourite Campion novel, but I'm not sure if I can say why. It just is.

The action begins on the Riviera, when August Randall (known to his intimates as Guffy) witness two unexpected events. The first is a strange man absconding from a high class hotel out a window; the second is Albert Campion, installed in the same hotel as the Hereditary Paladin of
Jonathan Palfrey
This novel is not really a fantasy: there's nothing impossible in it. However, the whole story is so implausible that it may be best thought of as a fantasy, first published in 1933, but akin to one of Jasper Fforde's more modern stories.

Along with being fantastic, it's also an exciting, charming, and romantic adventure story, set mostly in darkest Suffolk, although it begins with an unlikely encounter on the Mediterranean coast of France: starting as it means to go on.

Although the story is obvi
CC
Nov 17, 2016 CC rated it liked it
50th book of the year! Woo! ... ok so not the 50th from the list I was supposed to stick to, but small victories.

Allingham's Albert Campion series is clearly a good investment for mystery fans. Campion still needs some fleshing out, in my opinion. Compare to Sayers's Peter Wimsey series. The Campion books before this one gave me enough to start caring about the main sleuth/adventurer character, just as the first Peter Wimsey books did. Now we need a book that puts the character in a home setting
Sorcha
Nov 04, 2011 Sorcha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, classics-club
What was Albert Campion up to in the Hotel Beauregard, Mentone? Posing as the king of a tinpot Balkan state looking for his lost crown. It was all too intriguing for Guffy Randall, so he joined in the treasure hunt ... to the bitter end. Even when it got very nasty indeed.

First (actually it turns out to be the second) of the Campion books I've read, and whilst good, this wont necessarily put him up there with Alleyn and Rhoddenbarr.

A small portion of land has suddenly become very attractive and
Julia
Jan 21, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Re-reading the Campion series in order. This is one of the best. I wasn't quite as inspired as I remembered so changing rating from 5 to 4 stars. (Previous rating was entered when I first joined GR and was adding books that I hadn't read recently.)

In this book, Albert Campion and several friends are on a mission to find proof that an area in Europe is actually British property. Clues lead to the impoverished Pontisbright family, who are living in an old house by a mill. The younger daughter, Ama
Judy
Aug 03, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun addition to the Albert Campion mysteries. In this one Campion is trying to find proof that a family is indeed heirs to a small piece of Europe, which has suddenly become valuable when an earthquake creates sea access to an oil deposit. Of course there are also bad guys trying to find the proof before he can. The proof that the family is descended from a legitimate marriage is to be found with several obscure clues which were carved into a tree on the English property of the family. ...more
Gary Holt
Jan 17, 2016 Gary Holt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of all the Margery Allingham I have read.

As you can see, reviewer opinions vary. If you like a serious mystery, this is probably not for you. It's not intended to be taken seriously.

But if you like something closer to Indiana Jones, this might be what you're looking for--a fun ride, some really interesting characters, and a lot of humor in how they interact, and Albert pulls one rabbit out of the hat after another.

I find that I don't really like the Margery Allingham novels w
Anwen
Aug 10, 2015 Anwen rated it it was amazing
The first Campion I ever read as a thirteen-year-old and still one of my favourites. Allingham's writing nearly always has a menacing edge to it, often with Fortean themes. This claustrophobic unease, which she conveys eo effortlessly, is what makes her, in my opinion, one of the best ghost story writers going. This book is no exception. A lost Earldom, a disputed kingdom, dastardly deeds and huge money at stake in an unsettled, early Thirties Europe means that dangerous games are afoot with rut ...more
Susan in NC
Mar 24, 2009 Susan in NC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've become a huge fan of Margery Allingham's Campion series; I've enjoyed Sayers and Christie for years, but after reading one Campion years ago, didn't really "feel it"! I found a reissue of "Police at the Funeral" at a used book store and decided to try again, and I'm glad I did. I'm reading them in order and just ordered several from Amazon to fill in the missing books my library doesn't have.

This book is more of an adventure than a mystery, really, set in 1933 rural Suffolk and once again
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
  • The Saltmarsh Murders (Mrs. Bradley, #4)
  • Singing in the Shrouds (Roderick Alleyn, #20)
  • To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant, #4)
  • The Alington Inheritance (Miss Silver, #31)
  • The Unfinished Clue
Aka Maxwell March.

Margery Louise Allingham was born in Ealing, London in 1904 to a family of writers. Her father, Herbert John Allingham, was editor of The Christian Globe and The New London Journal, while her mother wrote stories for women's magazines. Margery's aunt, Maud Hughes, also ran a magazine. Margery earned her first fee at the age of eight, for a story printed in her aunt's magazine.

Soo
More about Margery Allingham...

Albert Campion (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Crime at Black Dudley (Albert Campion Mystery #1)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery #4)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion #7)
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery #9)
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)
  • Traitor's Purse (Albert Campion Mystery #11)