Start by marking “Cargo of Eagles (Albert Campion Mystery #19)” as Want to Read:
Cargo of Eagles (Albert Campion Mystery #19)

Cargo of Eagles (Albert Campion #19)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Two roads lead to Saltey, an ancient hamlet on the Essex estuary: one is fast for weekenders; the other is a dust track for smugglers. Someone will terrorize, murder and raise the very devil to keep a certain secret that Campion intends to reveal.

All the books from Albert Campion series are standalone titles and can be read in any order.
Published November 1st 1991 by Yestermorrow (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Cargo of Eagles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cargo of Eagles

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
144th out of 514 books — 79 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Birds on a cover
108th out of 333 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

Georgene
Feb 28, 2014 Georgene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's been many years since I've read any of the Albert Campion mysteries. I recalled them as being better than this, the last of them. I would have given this one 3 stars except I kept falling asleep while reading it. It was not exactly gripping. Any novel of less than 230 pages that takes me 3 days to read is really not worth the time or effort.
Laura Cowan
Apr 13, 2014 Laura Cowan rated it liked it
The dialogue can be a bit hard to follow on this one, very long and complex, but I still enjoyed it. Lots of atmosphere.
Nancy Oakes
Cargo of Eagles was finished after Margery Allingham's death by her husband Youngman Carter, who apparently completed it based on notes that Allingham left behind. Sadly, the last of the original series (if you count this one because Allingham started it) leaves a lot to be desired. I think it suffers from too many tangents leading to a bit of tedium for the reader. I found myself wanting to just get through it (which is really sad, if you think about it for a minute). The basic plot was good, b ...more
Jules Jones
Abridged audiobook of the last Campion novel, read by Phillip Franks. Enjoyable, and as usual with this series of Hachette abridged CD sets, can be enjoyed even if you aren't already familiar with the novel.
Andrea Hickman Walker
I've read one other Margery Allingham, Police at the Funeral, which I enjoyed very much. This one was also enjoyable, but not quite as good. Perhaps I've just had enough of those secret agent style books with spies and international intrigue and the Cold War and so on. In which case I should take a break from those books. This has some fantastic parts and is well worth reading, however. Particularly if you enjoy mystery stories. There were certain aspects that, while important for the story, are ...more
Andrew
May 25, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been a true adventure, I picked it up knowing nothing of Margery Allingham's work - only that the character had been turned in to short run TV series bearing the name of its main character Campion. This is more of a thriller than crime story with a major part of adventure involving minor characters and the true reason for the events being revealed in the last half dozen pages of which there was absolutely no chance you could have know of.
That all said I enjoyed the book - not sure
Deb
Aug 06, 2014 Deb rated it liked it
Having been finished by her husband after her death, it wasn't really up to snuff....
I really only got this book out of the library because I was taking out Margery Allingham's only non-fiction work about village life in the Second World War, and wanted to give myself some context by reading her more usual mystery. Unfortunately I didn't get time to read the book I intended but I enjoyed this one. It was put together posthumously so I don't know how typical it is of her work. I certainly found it refreshingly different to other mysteries, with some fascinating characters, even t ...more
Mary Holland
Jan 07, 2013 Mary Holland rated it liked it
Margery Allingham died before completing this book, and her husband finished it for publication. It's an Albert Campion mystery and steeped in aging and regret. Neither of the young couple love interest are either interesting or believable; the woman comes off as hard and the man is weak. Campion and Lugg are still themselves, and the venue and setting are fascinating, especially in the beginning. If Allingham had lived, she might have saved the book, such a shame. With any other writer this wou ...more
Janet D.
Apr 25, 2015 Janet D. rated it it was ok
I didn't know that this book was written by two people until I was almost finished. It shows. The plotting is disjointed and crooked. It certainly isn't up to the usual Campion standard.
Ruth Gilbert
May 03, 2015 Ruth Gilbert rated it liked it
Not up the brilliance of the earlier books, but it's still a good read.
Dec 10, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2015
One of the better of the later Campion books I've read, although seems a bit "Campion-light."
Julia
Finishing my re-read of the Campion novels. This one is set in the early(?) 1960s. Campion is in it, but more as an eminence grise. The main character is a young American professor Morty ( whom, it is mentioned in passing, Campion met through his son Rupert who is now at university). No mention of Amanda.

The mystery felt rather disjointed.
Honoria
Sep 23, 2014 Honoria rated it liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
I enjoyed this overall, but it's not my favourite Margery Allingham book. The main issue, for me, is that it is set much later than the other books (in the 1960s) and Allingham seems less 'in tune' with the culture of the time. I only discovered later that it had been completed by Margery Allingham's husband after her death - he's not done a bad job of it, and I'm glad we have this final Campion, even if it won't be remembered as one of the classics.
Kirsten
Feb 22, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was ok
This just isn't one of the better Campion mysteries, I don't think. It seemed really oddly paced and plotted to me; I had a really hard time following what was going and what the mystery even was. The last couple of chapters got quite good, but by that time it was really too late to save the story. I recently learned that this is probably one of the Campion mysteries that was published posthumously, which may explain a lot.
Jane Glen
Aug 23, 2012 Jane Glen rated it liked it
Kind of odd that my first book by this author was the last of a lengthy series and was posthumously finished and published by her husband. So I don't feel that I have really got a fair view of her writing. The style is even older than that of Dorothy Sayers, and sometimes the language and situations are beyond my experience. . But it still is a good British mystery and I look forward to trying others of hers.
Andrea
This is the last of the official Allinghams, completed by her husband after her death. It's a combination spy and murder mystery, continuing the theme of the latter books of the old being overtaken by the new, but not laid yet.

Not a favourite, but interesting enough for figuring out what motive Campion has in all of it.
Katrina
Dec 15, 2013 Katrina rated it it was ok
I found this one to be a disappointment all round, possibly because it was finished by the author's husband after Allingham's death. Campion and Lugg are both getting on and it has a sad 'past it' atmosphere, probably reflecting the authors own mood.
Clare Coffey
I did enjoy this book. Margery Allingham did not finish it as she died. However her husband finished it and I thought that he did quite a good job. I do like Campion and his sidekick. I liked the twist at the end and the description of Mob's Bowl.
Sherry
Feb 19, 2011 Sherry rated it it was ok
I am beginning to form a rather firm opinion that later Allingham is not better Allingham. I wish I had taken the time to get a dated bibliography so I could read the books in order.
Rita
Mar 02, 2012 Rita rated it really liked it
Shelves: campion
This is the last Campion novel, written in 1966, the year that Margery Allingham died. I haven't read them in order so I'm looking forward to reading more Campion novels.
Catherine  Mustread
Apr 02, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Campion uncovers deceit, malice and murder linked to piracy in the village of Saltey.
Carol Wunderlich
Allinghams mysteries become more intricate with age. Love her engaging characters!
Mike Jensen
Aug 25, 2013 Mike Jensen marked it as books-abandoned  ·  review of another edition
When I am this bored after two chapters, it is time to move on.
JZ
Mar 27, 2009 JZ marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery, own
19th in series. 1967. Finished by husband, Youngman Carter.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good short stories some familiar some not
Lorraine
Sep 09, 2012 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: list-1991
Hmmm . . I wonder if this is my first Campion?
Ange
Mar 12, 2013 Ange rated it really liked it
Quite a plot and a happy ending, too.
Tim
May 31, 2013 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Rather bitty.
  • Night at the Vulcan (Roderick Alleyn, #16)
  • The Alington Inheritance (Miss Silver, #31)
  • Dolly and the Starry Bird (Johnson Johnson, #4)
Aka Maxwell March.

Margery Louise Allingham was born in Ealing, London in 1904 to a family of writers. Her father, Herbert John Allingham, was editor of The Christian Globe and The New London Journal, while her mother wrote stories for women's magazines. Margery's aunt, Maud Hughes, also ran a magazine. Margery earned her first fee at the age of eight, for a story printed in her aunt's magazine.

Soo
More about Margery Allingham...

Albert Campion (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Crime at Black Dudley (Albert Campion Mystery #1)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery #4)
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion Mystery #7)
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery #9)
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)