Start by marking “More Work for the Undertaker (Albert Campion Mystery, #13)” as Want to Read:
More Work for the Undertaker (Albert Campion Mystery, #13)

More Work for the Undertaker (Albert Campion #13)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,152 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Elegant and engaging detective Albert Campion investigates two deaths in the eccentric Palinode household. If poisoning were not enough, there are also anonymous letters, sudden violence and a vanishing coffin.

All the books from Albert Campion series are standalone titles and can be read in any order.
Published March 1st 2007 by Vintage (first published 1948)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Moonstone by Wilkie CollinsThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
HRF Keating 100 Best Crime and Mystery Books
31st out of 100 books — 33 voters
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThe Thirteen Problems by Agatha ChristieThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThe A.B.C. Murders by Agatha ChristieThirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie
Lucky 13
112th out of 174 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Cynthia
Oct 26, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
The plot was so confusing and there were so many characters that im not quite sure what happened, but i dont care. Shes a wonderful writer and this book is a witty and entertaining gem.
Susan in NC
Jun 09, 2010 Susan in NC rated it liked it
I'm reading Allingham's Campion series in order, and this was next on my list - interesting, but I had a hard time getting into it. I think it was because of the Palinode family, around whom the mystery (such as it is) evolves. I kept getting the impression I was supposed to find them charming and whimsical, but I just found them rather pathetic and obnoxious (made it hard to be sympathetic to them as characters, needless to say).

Also, the previous two installments of the series ("Traitor's Pur
Jonathan Palfrey
This whodunnit consists largely of an endless parade of extravagantly eccentric characters of different kinds, interacting in their own peculiar ways in an obscure corner of London. There is much mystery, but Albert Campion gets to the bottom of it in the end.

I found it readable and mildly entertaining, but rather over the top. Allingham apparently set out to paint pictures of as many distinctive characters as she could think of, and stuff them all into the same book, so that there's hardly room
Cindy
Mar 01, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
I hope my three-star rating of this book will not deter others from reading it. I'm sure the fault lies more in myself; I found this book rather opaque. I originally discovered this book in HRF Keating's list of 100 best mysteries, through which I am slowly working my way. All of the books on this list are older - the list itself was compiled thirty years ago - and that may have contributed to my missing some references. I can usually make my way, but the allusions in this book were beyond me. F ...more
Candy Wood
Apr 07, 2014 Candy Wood added it
Shelves: mysteries
Nicola Humble’s book about the feminine middlebrow novel guided me to this 1948 title in one of my mother’s Detective Book Club triples. If I had read it before, it didn’t sound at all familiar. At any rate, I wouldn’t have noticed how vague the references to World War II and the London setting are. Allingham’s invented streets seem not to have suffered in the Blitz, and their features could be located in many cities, not specifically London. I found it difficult to sustain interest in either th ...more
Miriam
Aug 05, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Probably the most complicated of her mysteries so far, in terms of number of characters, motivations, and secrets cutting across one another.

Some time seems to have elapsed between the previous volume and this. I think I ought to have reread #12.
Paul Cooney
Love Allingham. In the current times we need more of this attitude; flippant, not so self centered but still self aware...with humor. A Campion of today how good would that be?
Nancy
May 10, 2015 Nancy rated it it was ok
Chock-a-block with characters, I had difficulty in keeping track of them all. I suppose that made it harder to figure out the guilty party but since the readers never actually get enough information to figure it out anyway (beyond a lucky guess, I suppose), that hardly seems to matter.

A lot of characters, but not much in the way of character development, which probably contributed to the difficulty in keeping them all sorted out. So there was no real invesment in the story, the characters or the
Joel
Sep 02, 2015 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Campion returns after three years to investigate a murder within a very idiosyncratic family. Lugg's undertaker brother-in-law asks for the investigation so that things can be cleared up quickly and let him get back to his shady dealings. This one seemingly reverts back to a classic murder investigation for Campion, rather than a thriller of giant conspiracy, but the ending fails to follow through on this. The resolution did not seem to follow the rest of novel, and was rather a disappointment. ...more
George
Jun 08, 2014 George rated it really liked it
#13 in the Alfred Campion amateur sleuth mystery series set in London. Mystery centers on the Palinode siblings who are practically penniless and a bit eccentric after their family had been quite well off. Campion becomes involved even while resisting becoming involved. Two Palinodes have died under questionable circumstances and their appears to be no motive for this. Story line also involves the local undertaker who operates on the shady side of the law, but no evidence to show what it is.

A ni
Damaskcat
Jan 28, 2013 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing
Albert Campion has been asked to help in a case which is puzzling his old boss. The Palinodes are a wealthy family which has fallen on hard times and two of them have died in what may or may not be suspicious circumstances. Campion has also been offered a job abroad which he is in two minds about whether to accept. In the end the lure of police work is something he cannot resist. The house in which all the remaining Palinodes live is situated in Apron Street which seems like a throwback to an ea ...more
Surreysmum
May 23, 2010 Surreysmum rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 1987
Karen
Feb 19, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. Because I've been enjoying the Lord Peter Wimsey books, these books were recommended to me, and I agree they are in the same genre. Very British, very tongue-in-cheek,very procedural mysteries. This is my introduction to Campion, a detective who has his own ways of finding things out. In this case, a very old family of eccentric brainiacs seem to be being killed off, in their home. So Campion moves in with them as a tenant to find out what's going on.
Campion has an
Susan
Feb 02, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Another Campion book. This one takes place after WWII, and Albert has been though a lot. In the beginning he is contemplating taking up a government position and leaving the sleuthing life behind. He is now a father and has suffered a long separation from his wife. All of this puts him in no mood to explore and assist in a new police mystery. But in the end, he gives in and helps up and coming Detective Charlie Luke figure out what the heck is going on here.

Margery Allingham did a great thing w
Kimberly Ann
This was really a very difficult read for me.....

I understand that Allingham's Albert Campion was/is a very popular detective...the BEEB series is well done and enormously popular, however, I got quite lost with the some of the "authentic" dialog and even some of the scenes....

This is not to say, that this was not an interesting mystery...it was, but I just couldn't piece much of it together.....

I didn't like this, but I didn't Not like it either. I wish it had been easier for me to read & f
Jill Hutchinson
May 06, 2011 Jill Hutchinson rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I blow hot and cold with the Campion mysteries.......this one is lukewarm. I like the character of Albert Campion and his man-of-all-work, Lugg but sometimes their conversations leave me wondering exactly what they said or what they meant. This book visits the home of the eccentric Palinode family (which I kept reading as "palindrome") where a murder by poison has occurred and it is Campion's job to pull all the clues together to expose the villain or villains. In fact, there are several murders ...more
Colin Mitchell
Aug 09, 2016 Colin Mitchell rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, campion
Campion is in London and is eventually press into action to assist Oates, Yeo and Charlie Luke in a teasing conundrum over the death of Ruth Palinode. There follows a puzzling array of twists, turns, and sub -plots as Campion worms his way into the life of the family whose lives are set in a different era. Eventually, the plot is unraveled and the culprits run to earth. Sometimes a little difficult to follow this is, however, a classic crime novel.
Mario
May 15, 2014 Mario rated it it was ok
I can't say I liked this. I had the hardest time figuring out what was going on, and not just in the sections with heavy accents (which were mostly decipherable). For me, there were simply too many characters, they were introduced too quickly, and the names were either too hard to keep separate, or just plain uncomfortable for my mouth to pronounce. Plus, I found the mystery itself unsatisfying, but for reasons too spoilery and tedious to write out.
Robyn
Nov 16, 2015 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, library, kindle
Kindle Owners' Lending Library | Both more enjoyable than many of the others in the series and less compelling. | I found this had more humor than the previous books in the Campion series, which I enjoyed, but for some reason it was very easy to put down and walk away from. Still, enjoyable and made me grin in several places, plus it was a unique resolution.
Catriona Troth
Mar 02, 2013 Catriona Troth rated it really liked it
One of Allingham's later mysteries, and a clear favourite of mine.

Set right after the end of the Second World War, it is peopled by an extraordinarily eccentric Palinode family of Apron Street, and introduces Charlie Luke, the third and perhaps the most engaging of Allingham's trio of policemen.

Someone is apparently killing of the Palinodes one by one. Campion, back from his wartime service, is contemplating taking up a governorship of an unnamed island paradise. But when three calls for his h
Andrea Hickman Walker
Nov 14, 2013 Andrea Hickman Walker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The first thing I noticed when I opened the book was that there was a map in the front. I love books with maps. There's just something about being able to position everything clearly that makes reading a story (and especially a mystery) even more satisfying. This is an extremely well-written mystery with the most fabulous characters I have ever come across. I had no idea who had done it, though I thought the why was fairly obvious as soon as I heard about (view spoiler) ...more
Susan
Aug 18, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Maybe not her best, but honestly the ending ties up surprisingly (and deliciously) so many stray ends that you would never think could be brought together. And she does this with one startlingly perfect snap discovery after another. Truth is I just love Margery Allingham's mysteries.
Andrea
The closure of World War II sees Campion at a crossroads. Now far from foolish youth, he is being encouraged to grow up completely by taking up a colonial governership. Fortunately murder among the near-destitute, charming intellectual Palinodes saves him from a fate worse than.

This book sees the introduction of Charlie Luke, an upcoming police detective who resembles a gangster, is a dynamo of energy, extremely physical, and highly entertaining to watch.

It's also pleasing to see that Amanda is
Martha Grace
Albert Campion is called upon to help the investigation when members of the Palinode family
die and poisoning is suspected. I found the English dialect a little difficult to follow but I took the book on vacation and perhaps I was a bit distracted.
Julia Alberino
Dec 21, 2014 Julia Alberino rated it it was ok
An odd collection of eccentric characters is the best thing the book has going for it. It failed to engage me the way a mystery usually does, and took me an inordinate amount of time to read. The cover blurb promised more than the book ultimately delivered.
Nancy Oakes
Not one of my personal favorites, and this is #12 in the series.

In this one, Albert Campion is called upon to look into two mysterious deaths in the Palinode family. They are a group of rather eccentric people, however, the deaths are by poison, so it becomes a police matter. Throw in anonymous letters, some strange doings at the local undertaker & a missing coffin, and it makes for an adventure Campion won't soon forget.

To be really honest, I found this one somewhat tedious and had a reall
Mary
Jul 03, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok
Too many characters and hard to follow at times plus I really did not care about the characters.
Katie Hilton
Sep 13, 2015 Katie Hilton rated it really liked it
A very good British murder mystery with a couple of plots that eventually twine together, and plenty of possible suspects.
J.L. Rallios
Clever and satisfying mystery, but still some gaps in the solution, at least in my comprehension of the solution. It was a difficult read with lots of characters that were hard to keep track of, but the hardest was the dialect and many of the phrases. Perhaps I'm not English enough. Overall, though, it was worth the read.
Deb
Feb 17, 2014 Deb rated it liked it
Well done classic mystery set in London, 1946....
  • Devil take the Blue-tail Fly
  • The Glass Sided Ant's Nest
  • The Alington Inheritance (Miss Silver, #31)
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
  • Trial and Error
  • Hamlet, Revenge! (Sir John Appleby, #2)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • He Who Whispers (Dr. Gideon Fell, #16)
Aka Maxwell March.

Margery Louise Allingham was born in Ealing, London in 1904 to a family of writers. Her father, Herbert John Allingham, was editor of The Christian Globe and The New London Journal, while her mother wrote stories for women's magazines. Margery's aunt, Maud Hughes, also ran a magazine. Margery earned her first fee at the age of eight, for a story printed in her aunt's magazine.

Soo
More about Margery Allingham...

Albert Campion (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Crime at Black Dudley (Albert Campion Mystery #1)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery #4)
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion Mystery #7)
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery #9)
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)

“fussiness, and his” 0 likes