Start by marking “The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)

The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion #8)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  739 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Albert Campion is summoned to the village of Kepesake to investigate a particularly distasteful death. It takes all Campion’s coolly incisive powers of detection to unravel the crime.
Published January 9th 2007 by Vintage Books (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Late Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Late Pig

Miriam
Whaaah? Who switches from 3rd to 1st person a dozen books into a series?

1st person really doesn't work with the pattern Allingham has established of strangers not taking Campion seriously until too late, or with the way the jokes are set up.

Aside from this bit of strangeness, The Case of the Late Pig is a pretty typical installment. I saw the main plot twist coming from the beginning, but it seemed like she pretty much tipped her hand at the funeral in the beginning of the story. Also saw the mi...more
Abbey
1937, #8 Albert Campion, Enquiry Agent, London and rural Kepesake. This is a long novella not an actual novel, and uses, unusual for the series, Campion's own first person narration. A nasty bully is dead (twice), bodies go missing, very strange folks abound in the sweet little village of Kepesake, and then there's Lugg... Wonderful almost-thriller, true classic; four stars.

"Pig" Peters was a much-dreaded bully during Campion's school-years, so when he reads the obituary stating that Peters' fu...more
Kerry
In January, the combination of an obituary in The Times and an anonymous letter featuring a mole, send Campion and Lugg to a funeral. The deceased is an old school mate (friend would not be an appropriate term) of Campion's; Rowland Peters, more commonly known as Pig. By July, Campion has forgotten the incident. When he is called to the village of Kepesake to investigate the death of the disagreeable Oswald Harris, who had a stone geranium urn dropped on his head, he is startled to find the dead...more
Karlyne Landrum
This is not up to Allingham's usual standard. Mr. Campion narrates this one himself, and it just falls flat. It seems as though this book should have fallen under the category of "before first novel" and not have been written by an author at the height of her powers.
Jillian
I'm now well into my rereading of the campion series. I like the way Margery Allingham plays and experiments with her writing. This one uses the first person. It is also very short. Keeping the character consistent and writing in the first person constrains character development but provides a chance to expose a bit more of Campion's relationship with Lugg.

The plot hinges on an idea for a scam and the working through of that in a rural community, with links to Campion's past. It was an idea sui...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in April 1998.

This is an unusual member of Allingham's Campion series, as it is told in the first person from Campion's point of view. This, to me, makes it immediately more successful than some others in the series, by avoiding what I consider to be Campion's most annoying fault. In many of the books, I find there is too great a credibility gap between Campion's silly-ass public persona and the true, intelligent crime fighter underneath. ("Mild mannered jani...more
Becky
I absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Margery Allingham's The Case of the Late Pig. This was my first introduction to Albert Campion, and I just have to say that I love him! I do! I love him. This mystery had me hooked from the very beginning. The first sentence reads, "The main thing to remember in autobiography, I have always thought, is not to let any damned modesty creep in to spoil the story. This adventure is mine, Albert Campion's, and I am fairly certain that I was pretty nearly brilliant in...more
Nancy Oakes

I believe this is the only one in the series so far which has Mr. Albert Campion as the narrator of the story.

Campion is reading the newspaper one morning and learns of the possible death of one of his old school fellows. He decides to attend the funeral to see if this is indeed that person, and comes across some rather odd people there. Six months later, he is in the same little village, where a man has just died. Albert goes to look at the dead man and guess what? It's the same man whose fune...more
Rog Harrison
I have read several of this series over the last forty years but had not seen this one before. It's only 138 pages long and is written in the first person from Campion's perspective. It was published in 1937 but seems a bit old fashioned for its time. However it is an entertaining read with a couple of mysteries to be explained which the author ties up neatly.
FittenTrim
For such a short story, the action takes quite a while to kick in. I solved the 'who' and 'how' of the murder-mystery, which were properly laid out throughout the book, but not the 'why' which was muddled; I doubt any reader could truly deduce the convoluted plot of the killer. The main character Albert Campion & his antagonistic relationship with his valet Lugg was a nice Twist off of the Holmes/Watson; Poroit/Hastings pairing. I'd assume they continue to bicker throughout this series of my...more
Leslie Jem
I had a difficult time keeping the characters straight; their voices weren't clearly differentiated. I love the puzzle aspect of the golden age of mystery, though.
Malcolmaffleck
I'm either getting more used to Margery Allingham - or the relative shortness and first person viewpoint of this book won me over more than any of her other works. The case is an interesting one from the off where you can work out who the villain is fairly early on, but then why he actually did it becomes a little bit more difficult and the cryptic clues for the mole were a complete surprise. It was good to hear Campion's voice throughout - although it doesn't really work as a biography; unless...more
Jennifer Cunningham
I enjoyed this Albert Campion book, unexpectedly narrated in the first person. It is much shorter than Allingham's other books, more like a novella.
Sara
I LOVE Albert Campion! This character is smooth, unassuming, a little bit of a geek, but surprisingly tough and doesn't mind getting his feet wet when it comes to saving the day. While Campion himself is not particularly funny, there is comic relief in Campion's "sidekick" Lugg. While I don't remember the exact plot of this story, the mysteries themselves are intelligent and generally difficult to figure out until the end when you say, "of course!" Allingham has created a really great detective...more
Odes Lee
Feb 03, 2014 Odes Lee added it
Shelves: mystery
A bit more complicated than the first one I read, but has a lot of old English characters and trappings.

Spotsalots
Aug 28, 2011 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
An entertaining example of Allingham's Alfred Campion mysteries, rather unusually (the only one?) narrated by Campion himself. While I must say I regard the ending a bit forced and mechanical (in the way that interwar mystery novel solutions often were), in other respects the novel shows Allingham in fine form, with sparkling yet intriguingly obscure dialog and observations. The conceit of a corpse who dies twice (not to mention who tormented Campion in childhood) is elegantly handled.
Kalendra Dee
Lugg has a new hobby. He reads the obituaries to Campion each morning. Because of this, Campion finds out that R.I. “Pig” Peters, a former schoolmate, has died and he decides to attend the funeral. Campion is shocked, therefore, when he is urgently summoned to the country six months later only to find that a man named “Pig” Peters has died . . . again. As Campion tries to find out which body is the real “Pig” Peters, the waters become even more murky with plots and subplots.
Nicole
Allingham allows Albert to tell this story autobiographically but in the later part keeps us out of part of his reasoning and part of his knowledge of the case. I dislike this on the authors part. If we are in the persons view point it should be consistent through out or we should switch to another view point.
As usual I enjoy the characters and the mystery but this one was much better as the BBC production with Davidson as Campion.
Glitter
As decetive stories go, this wasn't the funnest of the greatest. It is a classic and I appreciate the fact that in those days taboos weren't so often and clearly broken (if one was writing of the masses, at least) but Agatha Christie churned out gems. This wasn't anything like it. Saying that, it was a rather pleasant book to turn to if you were prepared to think every move through. Read most of it in one sitting.
Darcy
I adore detective stories set in English villages, manor houses and London, and this had all three. Allingham's style of prose is so unique and dense, but I it's not a bad thing to have to go back and re-read a sentence to figure out what it really means. I feel like the author is flattering my intelligence in that she doesn't have to explain every single detail. Very clever ending, too.
Megan
This rather short Campion novel is told in first person by the man himself, which means it lacks some of the smart turn of phrase that Allingham usually employs in the vicinity of her gentleman detective. The conclusion is a bit swift, or perhaps I was just reading it took quickly, having half-remembered the solution from the television adaptation.
Brenda Mengeling
The Case of the Late Pig was the first Albert Campion mystery that I have read. All in all I enjoyed it, and I did not figure it out. Campion makes a thoughtful and charming amateur sleuth. Although published in the 1930s it wasn't dated in ways that make a modern reader wince. I will read more of Margery Allingham's mysteries.
Scilla
Albert Campion receives a notice for the funeral of an old schoolmate, Pig, whom he detested. Six months later another friend requests that he visit and he finds Pig's body. Campion determines that Pig has been murdered, but then he must figure out how he died twice and why he was murdered.
Susan
Fun, and I enjoyed it, but not as much as previous Campions. The story dragged a bit for me, and I'm really not sure why . . . having said that, a three-star Campion is better than most mystery writers best efforts! The scenes between Lugg and Campion, as always, were among my favorites.
Clara
Well, I must admit that I enjoy being on the outside of Campion's head rather than on the inside. I really had a hard time following the mystery in this story and found it rather hard to believe Campion's discoveries. All in all, I hope that he doesn't get to be first-person again.
Ange
It was enjoyable, as are all her books.
Marie Jose Nieuwkoop
It's a better idea to read this book in it's original language. The translation was awful. The storyline is OK but not exciting enough to keep reading. In the end I didn't really care who'd done it to be honest.
Miriam
This volume is interesting because it is narrated by Campion himself, so the tone is a little different. It is also quite short. It was fun to read, but a little different from the rest of the series.
Cece
Very tight little mystery-not much character development, but classic Campion-Lugg banter and the requisite red herrings and "those who are not what they seem" make it a vintage Allingham.
Iain
Classic crime story. Similar to many Agatha Christie stories, and stands up to most of them. Accents can be a little annoying, but the plot is solid and interesting. Very enjoyable.
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #15)
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
Aka Maxwell March.

Margery Allingham was born in Ealing, London in 1904 to a family of writers. Her father, Herbert John Allingham, was editor of The Christian Globe and The New London Journal, while her mother wrote stories for women's magazines. Margery's aunt, Maud Hughes, also ran a magazine. Margery earned her first fee at the age of eight, for a story printed in her aunt's magazine.

Soon after...more
More about Margery Allingham...
Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery #4) The Tiger in the Smoke (Albert Campion Mystery #14) The Crime at Black Dudley (Albert Campion Mystery #1) Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2) Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)