Ken and Thelma: The Story of a Confederacy of Dunces

Ken and Thelma: The Story of a Confederacy of Dunces

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Ken has a real gift for mimicry and a refined sense of the absurd . . . the English faculty . . .both fear and court Ken because of his biting comic talent." --from Joel L. Fletcher's journal John Kennedy Toole's first published novel, A Confederacy of Dunces, which Walker Percy called a"gargantuan tumultuous human tragi-comedy," became a publishing phenomenon, with almos...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Pelican Publishing Company

Jaina Bee
Jun 06, 2008 Jaina Bee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ignatiophiles
I appreciate this honest, yet discreet, memoir. The author boldly confronts all of the most controversial topics related to Confederacy — Toole's suicide, his questionable sexuality, his infamously overbearing mother, the editor that encouraged and then rejected the novel, the missing revisions, the apparent curse against making a film version, the badly botched biography — with a voice full of humor and compassion. It is obvious that his affection for Toole was sincere, and his motives for publ...more
Alice Couvillon
Thelma was quite a gal and instrumental in getting Ken's Pulitzer Prize winner published. I especially liked this book because I knew so many of the people involved, including our landlord on 8th Street, John Geiser and Walker and Bunt Percy. Thelma was a true new Orleanian, and I think that's a good thing.
Conor
A beautiful memoir that gives an honest portrait of A Confederacy of Dunces' author John Kennedy Toole and his dynamo mother whose dedication led to the publication of the 1981 Pultizer Prize. Fletcher loves his subjects but also is able to offer an objective assessment. I highly recommend this book.
Louis Ohly
The book that made me laugh the most. A great story the gives you a different perspective of person that lives with in his limits but does not realize his limits.
The mother son relationship is amazing and revealing.
Rebecca Riggs kinson
Interesting facts about the author of "A Confederacy of Dunces" and his unique mother who got the Pulitzer Prize-winning book published after her son's suicide.
Alisa
It is as advertised - a short memoir based on the little available information about Ken and Thelma. Interesting for fans of the book, probably not for anyone else.
Mia Tryst
Fascinating, clear, concise book about John Kennedy Toole, author of A Confederacy of Dunces. Read both and be that much more enriched by great literature.
Josh
Genuinely interesting for fans of Confederacy, because the story we've always heard isn't the whole story.
Mary
Interesting bio of one of my favorite writers - and his flamboyant mother.
Matt Evans
Good JKT info.
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Vesna Kovach
Vesna Kovach marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Chris Thompson
Chris Thompson marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Amullendarb
Amullendarb marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Chris McCoy
Chris McCoy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Corinne Casala
Corinne Casala marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Maxamillion
Maxamillion marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
JT
JT marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Leticia Grove
Leticia Grove marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Karen Bannon
Karen Bannon marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Eppie Adams
Eppie Adams marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013