Start by marking “Making Music in Looking Glass Land : A Guide to Survival and Business Skills for the Classical Performer (3rd ed)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Making Music in Lookin...

Ellen Highstein

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Published October 1st 1997 by Concert Artists Guild

To ask other readers questions about Making Music in Looking Glass Land , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Music in Looking Glass Land

Lisa
Dec 14, 2007 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has majored in music
I wish this book had been published when I had graduated from music school. How do you crack into the music industry? What tools are absolutely essential to have to perform and market yourself? How can you make a living with what you've learned in school?

This book outlines in detail the answers to those questions. It does have a New York bias, as the author clearly acknowledges, but the advice can be translated to any location.

A lot of what I learned in this book, I had already learned the hard
Anne
Sort of like those "how to write a resume" books we used in our twenties, this is the book for a classical musician who's putting together a press kit. It's a little depressing if you're not in the fancy-conservatory-ready-to-do-competitions crowd, but still, there are a lot of good models in here for CVs, bios, headshots, press releases, and the like. Plus a great chapter for composers.
Lore Vancauwenberghe
Lore Vancauwenberghe marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Dennise
Dennise marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2011
M
M added it
Jan 18, 2009
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2007
Guide to Competitions: 1992 Edition Guide to Competitions: 1994 Edition Concert Artists Guild's Guide to Competitions