Start by marking “The American Democrat and Other Political Writings” as Want to Read:
The American Democrat and Other Political Writings

The American Democrat and Other Political Writings

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews

This is the essential collection of James Fenimore Cooper's political writings.

Published February 1st 2001 by Gateway Editions (first published 1838)

Be the first to ask a question about The American Democrat and Other Political Writings

Don Incognito
Apr 06, 2011 Don Incognito rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: students of American history, 19th-century politics, and 19th-century society
This is a review only of The American Democrat. I read a different edition, but can't find it on Goodreads.

I read The American Democrat mostly because I had just read an excellent book on the long-dead American Whig Party--which, in James Fenimore Cooper's time, was one of the two major political parties in America and the Democrat Party's chief opponent--and hoped that The American Democrat would prove similarly helpful in explaining the 19th-century Democrats.

I was wrong. The fact that "Democr
Scott Reighard
Jan 02, 2012 Scott Reighard rated it really liked it
I have always been a fan of James Fenimore Cooper. From my high school days, a young boy in search of adventures in reading, found Natty Bumppo to be an interesting character. Cooper was perhaps America's first nature writer, for he embraced the outdoor adventure.

Although I confess to not reading the whole Leatherstocking Series, I have read other material by Cooper, most notably Billy Budd, one of my favorite novellas. Another Cooper writing I came across was The American Democrat. I found the
Jt
High time to read it. So far the best part of the book is the introduction by H.L Mencken, written in 1938 (on the 100th anniversary of the book's publication).

From the introduction to the first edition, written by Cooper himself:

"Notions that are impracticable, and which if persevered in, cannot fail to produce disorganization, if not revolution, are widely prevalent, and while many seem disposed to complain, few show a disposition to correct them."

Cooper is out to correct the impracticable not
Coyle
Jul 06, 2009 Coyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort-of a "crotchety old conservative" view of America before there were crotchety old conservatives.
Cooper is rightly considered an "American Tocqueville", given his concerns about the tyranny of the majority and the tendency of individuals to go along with public opinion, rather than things like truth and justice. Cooper argues that to oppose this tendency, we need to develop our morality, "deportment", manners, kindness, and civilization. Only then will the mob become citizens and the popula
Benjamin Glaser
Sep 18, 2015 Benjamin Glaser rated it really liked it
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Take out some of the particulars and this book could have been written in 2015.
Steve
May 13, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insights into Cooper's views of government and American society in the early 1800s.
Steven  Hunter
This book gives great insight into early American thinking by an early American. A very profitable read for students of American history.
Lani
Apr 25, 2010 Lani rated it it was ok
Just remembered this was on my shelf and I'd be curious to read it again--my first take was that he was picky and fretful over insignificant nothings...wonder if my opinion would change? Who knows.
Paul Hoffman
Mar 12, 2013 Paul Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: policy
Although not the easiest of reads, he offer a fair and concise description of democracy and politics in its many forms.
Craig Bolton
"AMERICAN DEMOCRAT, THE by James Fenimore Cooper (1981)"
Meg Kat
Meg Kat marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Tyler Windham
Tyler Windham marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
aaron pringle
aaron pringle rated it did not like it
Apr 06, 2016
Jonathan Green
Jonathan Green rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Renan Virginio
Renan Virginio marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Cory Chylik
Cory Chylik marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Gray_Space
Gray_Space marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Luke Schwiebert
Luke Schwiebert marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
heavenbound
heavenbound marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Christopher Simon
Christopher Simon rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Bill Wilberg
Bill Wilberg is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Ryan M
Ryan M added it
Aug 07, 2015
Leslie Nichols
Leslie Nichols rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Tom Gagne
Tom Gagne rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James Fenimore Cooper was a popular and prolific American writer. He is best known for his historical novel The Last of the Mohicans, one of the Leatherstocking Tales stories, and he also wrote political fiction, maritime fiction, travelogues, and essays on the American politics of the time. His daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper was also a writer.

Series:
* The Leatherstocking Tales
* The Littlepage Man
More about James Fenimore Cooper...