Start by marking “The American Democrat and Other Political Writings” as Want to Read:
The American Democrat and Other Political Writings

The American Democrat and Other Political Writings

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  9 reviews

This is the essential collection of James Fenimore Cooper's political writings.

Published February 1st 2001 by Gateway Editions (first published 1838)

Be the first to ask a question about The American Democrat and Other Political Writings

Don Incognito
Apr 06, 2011 Don Incognito rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students of American history, 19th-century politics, and 19th-century society
This is a review only of The American Democrat. I read a different edition, but can't find it on Goodreads.

I read The American Democrat mostly because I had just read an excellent book on the long-dead American Whig Party--which, in James Fenimore Cooper's time, was one of the two major political parties in America and the Democrat Party's chief opponent--and hoped that The American Democrat would prove similarly helpful in explaining the 19th-century Democrats.

I was wrong. The fact that "Democr
Scott Reighard
I have always been a fan of James Fenimore Cooper. From my high school days, a young boy in search of adventures in reading, found Natty Bumppo to be an interesting character. Cooper was perhaps America's first nature writer, for he embraced the outdoor adventure.

Although I confess to not reading the whole Leatherstocking Series, I have read other material by Cooper, most notably Billy Budd, one of my favorite novellas. Another Cooper writing I came across was The American Democrat. I found the
High time to read it. So far the best part of the book is the introduction by H.L Mencken, written in 1938 (on the 100th anniversary of the book's publication).

From the introduction to the first edition, written by Cooper himself:

"Notions that are impracticable, and which if persevered in, cannot fail to produce disorganization, if not revolution, are widely prevalent, and while many seem disposed to complain, few show a disposition to correct them."

Cooper is out to correct the impracticable not
Sort-of a "crotchety old conservative" view of America before there were crotchety old conservatives.
Cooper is rightly considered an "American Tocqueville", given his concerns about the tyranny of the majority and the tendency of individuals to go along with public opinion, rather than things like truth and justice. Cooper argues that to oppose this tendency, we need to develop our morality, "deportment", manners, kindness, and civilization. Only then will the mob become citizens and the popula
Benjamin Glaser
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Take out some of the particulars and this book could have been written in 2015.
Steven  Hunter
This book gives great insight into early American thinking by an early American. A very profitable read for students of American history.
Just remembered this was on my shelf and I'd be curious to read it again--my first take was that he was picky and fretful over insignificant nothings...wonder if my opinion would change? Who knows.
Paul Hoffman
Although not the easiest of reads, he offer a fair and concise description of democracy and politics in its many forms.
Craig J.
"AMERICAN DEMOCRAT, THE by James Fenimore Cooper (1981)"
heavenbound marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Bill Wilberg
Bill Wilberg is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2015
Ryan M
Ryan M added it
Aug 07, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
treus marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Rob Weir
Rob Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Bob Costello
Bob Costello marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Sanda Wijeratne
Sanda Wijeratne marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Mano marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Kelsey Ruckert
Kelsey Ruckert marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Sarah Mbayed
Sarah Mbayed marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James Fenimore Cooper was a popular and prolific American writer. He is best known for his historical novel The Last of the Mohicans, one of the Leatherstocking Tales stories, and he also wrote political fiction, maritime fiction, travelogues, and essays on the American politics of the time. His daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper was also a writer.

* The Leatherstocking Tales
* The Littlepage Man
More about James Fenimore Cooper...