Start by marking “Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)

Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Benjamin Perkins thought he had his hands full taking care of his family's specialty soap store and keeping his quirky clan in line and out of trouble. But he's about to learn that when it comes to murder, there's no such thing as a clean getaway.
Published February 7th 2006 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dead Men Don't Lye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Men Don't Lye

Lynn Demsky
“Benjamin Perkins, eldest son of a large family who own the boutique Where There's Soap, finds the dead body of one of their suppliers sprawled at the bottom of the back stairs of their small business. Ben's sister Louisa, who had been dating the deceased Jerry Sanger but recently found out he had been two-timing her, becomes the police's prime suspect in the murder. At the request of their mother, Ben investigates Jerry's murder on his own in order to clear his sister”

This Myers book was just
Michelle Randall
Tim Meyers is turning into one of my favorite authors. I was not sure that a gentlemen could write a good cozy mystery because of the crafting element. I mean, really, how many men have you seen in the crafting section of the store? but, Time Meyers has surprised me over and over. I loved his candle making series, and now I am working my way through his soap making series.

He has a wonder handle on the soap making business, and the craft itself. I love that part of the book. It appeals to the cra
A quick read, an interesting mystery. It is the first in a new soapmaking series. The hero and his family own a soap shop, and by teaching a class, the hero tells the reader quite a bit about craft soap making. It doesn't hit you over the head, and I liked the characters. Some of the hero's amateur sleuthing made the policework look really bad - and the convenient "ex-girlfriend who still pines for him" cop always showing up when the police are called - is she the only police office the town has ...more
Nicole Galbraith
Book 1 in the soapmaking mystery series opens with Ben Perkins finding a body on the steps of his family's store. When his sister becomes a suspect his family looks to him to find the real culprit. I would say the mystery is only average. But, I did find it to be a refreshing twist that the police officer in the story was a woman while it was a man doing the snooping. I will read more in the series.
Ben is the soapmaking business with his family. He has 3 brothers and 3 sisters. He teaches soapmaking classes, the brothers run the production line, and the sister and his mom run the shop.Ben finds one of their supliers dead on the back steps of their business. The dead supplier had been dating his sister so his siter is questioned in the death of the salesman.
Since I started making my own soap from a Melt and Pour kit I enjoyed that this is the way the series started. I hope the next book goes into the soapmaking a little bit deeper. I can't think of anything more enjoyable then stiring my batch of soap as it heats up, watching the oils blend together can be very relaxing.
I think this was a poorly written book. I barely managed to finish it. I could go on and on about my issues with it but I'll stick with the Louisiana cake mystery books instead of this author - the way he writes is predictable, over the top, and not very enjoyable for me at all.
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery 2006, 230
CHARACTERS: Benjamin Perkins/manger of family soap store
TIME/PLACE: Present, North Carolina
COMMENTS: 1st in soapmaking cozy mystery series. Cute,light read.

I am enjoying this series very much. I do wish there were more details about the soap making processes. Sounds like a fun hobby! Good mystery and can't wait for more. I even ordered his other two series based on how much I enjoyed this series.

"Light-hearted" murder mystery that takes place at the family soap factory. Uncomplicated story with a clean plot and language.
A good first entry in the series. You've got to love a mystery that starts with a dead body on the first page.
Apr 09, 2009 Rosie added it
I am totally into this series! I'm even going to use the tips for making soap.
Kathy Kester
Kathy Kester marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Tonia marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Leslie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Kathryn Prine
Kathryn Prine marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Wayne marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Vicki marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Marianne marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Mrs. Margaret Bruce
Mrs. Margaret Bruce marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Jana Stapleton
Jana Stapleton marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Anita Carlisle
Anita Carlisle marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Johanna Pipkin
Johanna Pipkin marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Marie Geisel
Marie Geisel marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Judy marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Jerry marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Lori Webermeier
Lori Webermeier marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
  • Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Roots of Murder (Bretta Solomon, #1)
  • The Cocoa Conspiracy (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #2)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Murder Most Crafty
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Faux Finished (An Interior Design Mystery, #1)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Christietown (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #4)
  • A Star-Spangled Murder (Susan Henshaw, #6)
  • Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)
Also writes under the pseudonyms Elizabeth Bright, Melissa Glazer and Chris Cavender.

Tim Myers is the author of dozens of short stories published in mystery magazines and anthologies. He lives with his family near the Blue Ridge Mountains he loves and writes about. He is the award-winning author of the Agatha nominated Lighthouse Inn mystery series as well as over seventy short stories. Tim has be
More about Tim Myers...

A Soapmaking Mystery (3 books)
  • A Pour Way to Dye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #2)
  • A Mold For Murder (A Soapmaking Mystery, #3)