Start by marking “Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)

Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Benjamin Perkins thought he had his hands full taking care of his family's specialty soap store and keeping his quirky clan in line and out of trouble. But he's about to learn that when it comes to murder, there's no such thing as a clean getaway.
Published February 7th 2006 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dead Men Don't Lye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Men Don't Lye

Michelle Randall
Tim Meyers is turning into one of my favorite authors. I was not sure that a gentlemen could write a good cozy mystery because of the crafting element. I mean, really, how many men have you seen in the crafting section of the store? but, Time Meyers has surprised me over and over. I loved his candle making series, and now I am working my way through his soap making series.

He has a wonder handle on the soap making business, and the craft itself. I love that part of the book. It appeals to the cra
Library-KAT
I stopped reading this about 1/2 through the first chapter. I did try to persue the rest of the book, but I gave that up too.

This is written by a man, and the main character (a man) seemed weak to me...his mother is overbearing and his siblings are equally as bad.... The cop in charge of the investigation immediately made a huge mistake in placing blame without any type of investigation.

A Very Weakly written book indeed.
Jill
A quick read, an interesting mystery. It is the first in a new soapmaking series. The hero and his family own a soap shop, and by teaching a class, the hero tells the reader quite a bit about craft soap making. It doesn't hit you over the head, and I liked the characters. Some of the hero's amateur sleuthing made the policework look really bad - and the convenient "ex-girlfriend who still pines for him" cop always showing up when the police are called - is she the only police office the town has ...more
Nicole Galbraith
Book 1 in the soapmaking mystery series opens with Ben Perkins finding a body on the steps of his family's store. When his sister becomes a suspect his family looks to him to find the real culprit. I would say the mystery is only average. But, I did find it to be a refreshing twist that the police officer in the story was a woman while it was a man doing the snooping. I will read more in the series.
Sandybear76
Ben is the soapmaking business with his family. He has 3 brothers and 3 sisters. He teaches soapmaking classes, the brothers run the production line, and the sister and his mom run the shop.Ben finds one of their supliers dead on the back steps of their business. The dead supplier had been dating his sister so his siter is questioned in the death of the salesman.
Brenda
Since I started making my own soap from a Melt and Pour kit I enjoyed that this is the way the series started. I hope the next book goes into the soapmaking a little bit deeper. I can't think of anything more enjoyable then stiring my batch of soap as it heats up, watching the oils blend together can be very relaxing.
Mary
I think this was a poorly written book. I barely managed to finish it. I could go on and on about my issues with it but I'll stick with the Louisiana cake mystery books instead of this author - the way he writes is predictable, over the top, and not very enjoyable for me at all.
Pam
TITLE/AUTHOR: DEAD MEN DON'T LYE by Tim Myers
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery 2006, 230
CHARACTERS: Benjamin Perkins/manger of family soap store
TIME/PLACE: Present, North Carolina
COMMENTS: 1st in soapmaking cozy mystery series. Cute,light read.

Stephanie
I am enjoying this series very much. I do wish there were more details about the soap making processes. Sounds like a fun hobby! Good mystery and can't wait for more. I even ordered his other two series based on how much I enjoyed this series.

Janell
"Light-hearted" murder mystery that takes place at the family soap factory. Uncomplicated story with a clean plot and language.
Linda
A good first entry in the series. You've got to love a mystery that starts with a dead body on the first page.
Rosie
Apr 09, 2009 Rosie added it
I am totally into this series! I'm even going to use the tips for making soap.
Melissa Wormwood
Melissa Wormwood marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Malinda
Malinda marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Grace Edwards
Grace Edwards marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Olivia Burdon
Olivia Burdon marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • The Cocoa Conspiracy (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Most Crafty
  • Faux Finished (An Interior Design Mystery, #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Killer Stuff (Jane Wheel, #1)
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
Also writes under the pseudonyms Elizabeth Bright, Melissa Glazer and Chris Cavender.

Tim Myers is the author of dozens of short stories published in mystery magazines and anthologies. He lives with his family near the Blue Ridge Mountains he loves and writes about. He is the award-winning author of the Agatha nominated Lighthouse Inn mystery series as well as over seventy short stories. Tim has be
More about Tim Myers...

A Soapmaking Mystery (3 books)
  • A Pour Way to Dye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #2)
  • A Mold For Murder (A Soapmaking Mystery, #3)
Innkeeping with Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #1) At Wicks End (A Candlemaking Mystery, #1) Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2) Snuffed Out (A Candlemaking Mystery, #2) Murder Checks Inn (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #3)