Start by marking “The Whiskey Rebellion: Frontier Epilogue to the American Revolution” as Want to Read:
The Whiskey Rebellion: Frontier Epilogue to the American Revolution

The Whiskey Rebellion: Frontier Epilogue to the American Revolution

When President George Washington ordered an army of 13,000 men to march west in 1794 to crush a tax rebellion among frontier farmers, he established a range of precedents that continues to define federal authority over localities today. The "Whiskey Rebellion" marked the first large-scale resistance to a law of the U.S. government under the Constitution. This classic confr ...more
Published January 1st 1988 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Whiskey Rebellion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whiskey Rebellion

Scott Skipper
I read a lot of history and was particularly interested in the Whiskey Rebellion in the 1790's because my wife and I had ancestors in the area at that time. As a matter of fact, my wife's ancestor, Johann Adam Wise was a distiller who produced Old Monongahela whiskey in Washington County, Pennsylvania in the late 18th century, so he was undoubtedly involved in the rebellion. History is always more interesting if it is relevant to you.

That may be the only reason I finished this book. It is very s
John Hash
Feb 18, 2014 John Hash rated it it was amazing
The author's work reveals the dramatic impact the national government of the 1790s had on frontier populations, and the injustice imposed on them through a tenacious effort to enforce excise taxes on those who stood the most to lose in terms of livelihood and liberty. The test of wills between the Washington administration and settlers beyond the Allegheny Highlands represented a sharp departure from the former's passion to defend the Republican principle of self-determination, but established a ...more
Bill
Mar 15, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
Good analysis of the Whiskey Rebellion and the ironic parallels between the American Revolution and the Rebellion. It was interesting to see how our founding fathers switched positions regarding excise taxes after they came into power. There were a lot of good facts and stories about live on the frontier. There are a lot of lessons to be learned 200 years later as urban oriented law makers lose touch with conditions in rural areas.

The only down side of the book is that I felt like I was reading
Tom
Mar 19, 2012 Tom rated it did not like it
Shelves: presidents
Just awful. I said at one point that I felt like I was reading someone's PhD dissertation. You know what? . . . . I was right. I should be careful though, I would not want anyone to read mine and write a comment. I did really the short vignettes at the beginning of each chapter, they were more the sort of history that I enjoy reading.
Mike Hankins
Dec 03, 2012 Mike Hankins rated it really liked it
Popular understanding of the American Revolution and the Constitutional debate that followed it often neglects or deemphasizes the degree of opposition and antifederalist sentiment that existed at the time, particularly in the frontier regions. Thomas P. Slaughter attempts to bring these divisions to light in his study, The Whiskey Rebellion. Slaughter blends a Turnerian and Marxist approach by emphasizing the unique conditions on the frontier that prompted antifederalist sentiment and how these ...more
Bill Bruno
Feb 06, 2013 Bill Bruno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Whiskey Rebellion was the first serious challenge to the powers of the U.S. government under the new Constitution. It also saw the first and, so far, only time a U.S. President was in the field with a U.S. armed force in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief. Thomas Slaughter’s history of this conflict covers it well.
He starts out with a thematic overview setting the context. Although I was already aware of the basic issue over whether the new federal government ought to be able to levy interna
Theo Logos
In October of 1794, President Washington sent an army nearly 13,000 strong across the Allegheny Mountains into the frontier regions of Western Pennsylvania to suppress a popular uprising against the federal government. This event marked the greatest internal crisis of Washington's administration, and the most significant crisis of disunion to the United States prior to the Civil War. This significance of this event, both at the time, and to the continuing debate about the meaning of America, has ...more
Josh Hamacher
Mar 26, 2012 Josh Hamacher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The decades following the revolutionary war are a fascinating period and many of the themes that led to the so-called whiskey rebellion - arguments over the role of the federal government, the federal government straining the letter and spirit of the constitution, the struggle and mistrust between rural and urban populations, political leaders out of touch with reality - are enduring themes that continue to this day.

The stage was set in the 1780s and 1790s, when a federal government of shaky sta
Amanda
May 23, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book discusses the Whiskey Rebellion, a forgotten piece of American history. It's hard to encapusulate all the various sides and rationales and such. I think there's more that could have been written about here -- it focused more on two sides instead of giving a fair aspect to all bits of it. I found some of Slaughter's word choice problematic -- especially when referring to indigenous people and the poor indigent people in the western parts of the states. I think it was hard to read -- a l ...more
Tim Brown
Aug 25, 2015 Tim Brown rated it liked it
An engaging read about a little-known movement opposing the new U.S. government in the largest citizen uprising before the Civil War. The Whiskey Rebellion prefigured quite a number of conflicting dynamics in American history: East vs. West, North vs. South, Jeffersonians vs. Hamiltonians, Democrat vs. Whig/Republican, moneyed interests vs. ordinary people, Anglos vs. Indians, taxers vs. tax-cutters, you name it.
Stephen Kilbøurn
Jun 20, 2013 Stephen Kilbøurn rated it it was ok
it was interesting to learn about this more obscure, but important, incident in the formational years of our country, but the author spent way too much time explaining the circumstances and then rushed through the small bit of action. it made for a dry read that was pretty repetitive.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 26, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Following the American Revolution the fledgling United States needed revenue. A tax was placed on whiskey and many on the frontier started revolting against the taz. President George Washington was forced to call out the army. An excellent telling of a little know event in American history.
Shonda Wilson
Nov 16, 2012 Shonda Wilson rated it really liked it
A strategic and concise analysis of the political side of the Whiskey Rebellion, which I find to be an important part of early American history that is often overlooked.
Brett Decker
Jul 26, 2012 Brett Decker rated it really liked it
always like to read history of colonial america. the stories of what happened to our ancestors makes me appreciate what we have today.
Michelle Saymen chacon
Enjoyed the book. Got a little confused with the timeline. Learned a lot about how our banking system struggled to get started.
Bob.lieberman
Bob.lieberman rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2013
Rick L. Roller
Rick L. Roller rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Joseph Wrinn
Joseph Wrinn rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Joshua J
Joshua J rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2016
Sispyphusrock
Sispyphusrock rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2015
Donald Eugene Mason
Donald Eugene Mason rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
John Shaffer
John Shaffer rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Brad Crouse
Brad Crouse rated it really liked it
May 23, 2017
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
jeanne
jeanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Whiskey Rebellion: George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and the Frontier Rebels Who Challenged America's Newfound Sovereignty
  • The Unknown American Revolution: The Unruly Birth of Democracy and the Struggle to Create America
  • An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States
  • America at 1750: A Social Portrait
  • The Market Revolution: Jacksonian America, 1815-1846
  • The Founders and Finance: How Hamilton, Gallatin, and Other Immigrants Forged a New Economy
  • The Age of Federalism: The Early American Republic, 1788-1800
  • The Transformation of Virginia, 1740-1790
  • The First Congress: How James Madison, George Washington, and a Group of Extraordinary Men Invented the Government
  • The Island of Seven Cities: Where the Chinese Settled When They Discovered North America
  • America Afire: Jefferson, Adams, and the Revolutionary Election of 1800
  • Worlds of Wonder, Days of Judgment: Popular Religious Belief in Early New England
  • Making Haste from Babylon: The Mayflower Pilgrims and Their World
  • Atlantic Crossings: Social Politics in a Progressive Age
  • Highbrow/Lowbrow: The Emergence of Cultural Hierarchy in America (The William E. Massey Sr. Lectures in the History of American Civilization)
  • Our Lives, Our Fortunes, and Our Sacred Honor: The Forging of American Independence, 1774-1776
  • Inventing America: Jefferson's Declaration of Independence