Start by marking “Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)

Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  5,766 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
When the 1920s' most glamorous lady detective, the Honourable Miss Phryne Fisher, arranges to go to Ballarat for the week, she eschews the excitement of her red Hispano-Suiza racing car for the sedate safety of the train. The last thing she expects is to have to use her trusty Beretta .32 to save lives. As the passengers sleep, they are poisoned with chloroform.
Phryne is l
Published October 1st 2006 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Ballarat Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on the Ballarat Train

Miriam
Feb 23, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
What this country 1920s Australia coming to these days? A body can hardly take a train without being chloroformed or horrifically murdered or having molested orphans palmed off on her. And it was such a short book, too! When you subtract all the time spent talking about clothes and seducing the boring college boy (not that he held out long) it's a wonder any detecting got done at all.
Marijan
Mar 20, 2017 Marijan rated it really liked it
treći roman o gđici Fisher, u kojem rješava ubojstvo, zatvara još jednog gada a usput skuplja napuštene mačiće i još ponešto...
Richard Derus
Dec 30, 2011 Richard Derus rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5* of five for the book, 4* of five for the series.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries episode 2 was Kerry Greenwood's third novel, MURDER ON THE BALLARAT TRAIN. Four stars for the episode! My review is at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.

These episodes, the series in general...such a treat. So satisfyingly beautiful to look at, and the problem of Greenwood's almost taciturn take on exposition is handled by the visuals. An excellent marriage.
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: One of the best of this long series IMO, as we get to meet two people who are going to become very close to Phryne in the future - Jane and Ruth. Their introduction might have been pure melodrama, but Greenwood only very slowly spins out their odd stories, which resolve in a rather grisly - albeit satisfactory - manner.

Almost as contrived as an Edgar Wallace or Sax Rohmer tale, but with Greenwood's nicely light touch the plot just flows along and as long as you can manage to take t
Nikki
Another fun outing with Phryne! This one ends with her adopting a couple of girls and goes through a bunch of stuff — a crime on a train, hypnotism, murder for an inheritance, mad criminals, etc. I’m not a fan of stories where the criminal turns out to be insane, even though it’s a classic: most crime is carried out by sane people, or certainly people whose mental disorders are not central to the deed. In fact, in the real world, it’s more common for a mentally ill person to be a victim of viole ...more
Brenda
Mar 05, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As Phryne Fisher struggled to wake, she was assaulted by a dreadful smell – a strong smell which made her feel she was swimming up through a very thick substance. Fumbling for her Beretta she shot out the window of the fast moving train and when a gush of cold air hit her, she could feel her senses gradually returning….

Phryne and her maid Dot had decided to travel by train from their home in Melbourne to Ballarat for a restful few days, little knowing the nightmare they would soon be embroiled i
Nikki
Another enjoyable outing with Phryne, and this one starts to really bring together her found family with the addition of Jane and Ruth. While I’m noticing some inconsistencies in characters that aren’t Phryne (Dot’s surname changes, for example, and apparently the hair colours of Jane and Ruth too), it’s still fun and those are only really noticeable because I’m reading the books all more or less together, in one glorious reread.

(Note: this is still an excellent way to consume them, though I’m n
Kathryn
Aug 28, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another well-written installment and one that I quite enjoyed--for the most part. Unfortunately, one of the later chapters was decidedly un-cozy in tone -- unsavory men and young, innocent girls and selling them into awful professions -- but the humanity of Phryne and her friends got to shine the more for it. Even so, I'm hoping that the other books in the series follow more along the lines of "Away with the Fairies."
MaryG2E
Jun 22, 2016 MaryG2E rated it really liked it
3.5★s
The Honorable Phryne Fisher and her loyal companion Dot Williams are travelling by train to Ballarat when they are overcome by chloroform fumes, near Ballan. When order is restored it is discovered that one of the travellers in the first class carriage, Mrs Ann Henderson, has disappeared, most likely through the train window. Eventually her badly battered body is found near the train track, and it seems she may have been pulled out of the window and up onto the roof of the train.

Phryne is e
Ivonne Rovira
Aug 03, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Honorable Phryne Fisher, British ex-pat now living in Melbourne, Australia, can't even board a train without stumbling onto a mystery. While en route to Ballarat in Victoria, the train's passengers are chloroformed and an elderly lady disappears from the train. At the same time, an amnesiac young girl appears on the train. The woman's daughter, Eunice Henderson, hires Phrynne to investigate the disappearance. So Phryne embarks on solving two mysteries: a disappearance and an appearance. Need ...more
Anastasia
Murder on the Ballarat train by Kerry Greenwood is the third Phryne Fisher Mystery book. Fast paced action and adventure from when Phryne foils plans to chloroform the passengers on the Ballarat train. She is hired to solve the murder of one of the passengers as well as help another girl on the train who has lost her memory and is found to have been molested. I enjoyed this book very much. Non-stop action kept me reading through to the end making it a quick read. I loved catching up with and fin ...more
Marlene
Mar 02, 2017 Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

I’ve watched Phryne, I’ve read Phryne, and now I’ve listened to Phryne, and she’s utterly marvelous no matter how she is experienced.

I’m absolutely certain that the “beautiful young man” in Murder on the Ballarat Train would wholeheartedly agree. Although his roommate probably would not.

That Phryne refers to the man she seduces, vamps and ravishes in this book as “the beautiful young man” multiple times is part of the reason that the character of Phryne see
Cybercrone
Apr 27, 2017 Cybercrone rated it really liked it
Really enjoying this series.

Not great literature, but wonderful fun. Well drawn characters and good plots.
Diabolika
Dec 19, 2016 Diabolika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mistery
A fine mistery story with new characters coming into view.

Yet, somehow, I still miss "my Phryne" (from the TV series)...
Nicole Field
Sep 13, 2015 Nicole Field rated it really liked it
This book was just marvellous in its simplicity!

Most people will recognise this story as the first one from the Miss Fisher's Mysteries TV show, although I think that it's even better in book format (who's surprised?). Phryne is sleeping on a train to Ballarat when she is woken by the scent of chloroform; the killer's method of making sure to knock out the carriage in order to get away with his murder.

I absolutely love Phryne Fisher, completely agreeing that she's about as unrealistic character
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The third and I hope final set-up novel in the Fisher series, in which Jane and Ruth and Ember join Phryne's menage. Not Ms Greenwood's best work, very little substance. A quick light read, but I figured out who the baddy was almost immediately after said baddy made an appearance. Not much in the way of red herrings for either of the mystery threads involved. There was a rather major failing, in that it is repeatedly stated that "you can't be hypnotised if you don't want to be" and yet mesmerism ...more
LJ
MURDER ON THE BALLARAT TRAIN (Amateur Sleuth-Australia-1920s) – G+
Greenwood, Kerry – 3rd in series
Allen&Unwin, 2005- Trade Paperback
Phryne Fisher and her companion Dot are on the Ballarat Train. Phryne awakens realizing the first class car is filled with chloroform fumes. She opens the windows, saves the passengers but realizes that the quarrelsome mother of one of the passengers is missing. The mother’s body is found badly broken and Phryne agrees to find the killer. Additional, Phryne resc
Terri
Sep 07, 2009 Terri rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading about Phryne's adventures. This open with a murder on a train and introduces some new characters. Lot's of fun in this series!
Enigmaticblue
Mar 28, 2017 Enigmaticblue rated it it was amazing
Normally, I get bored with series quite easily for a variety of reasons. Well, each book in this series just makes me want more. I adore Phryne and her makeshift family. I love her free-loving ways, both in who she takes to bed and who she takes in. I love her competence and compassion. And every book just makes me love her more.
Maddie
May 23, 2017 Maddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks
Another excellent Miss Fisher chronicle. I have to admit I really appreciate seeing how the book unfolds in slightly different ways from the television adaptations. Sometimes I like the book better, sometimes the tv show but both are wonderful all around.
C Valeri
Apr 02, 2017 C Valeri rated it it was amazing
Best of the Phyrne's so far....She is #lifegoals. Can't wait to read more.
Christine
Feb 25, 2017 Christine rated it really liked it
Noora
Mar 05, 2017 Noora rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Third book and we're back on track! Murder on the Ballarat train offers several peculiar mysteries, characters that we love and consistency! Overall, the story was interesting and engaging. Greenwood is at her strongest in her characters, and this novel definitely delivered on that part. I do have some niggles, but in general I'm just enjoy seeing the stories progress and the mysteries unfold in ways that I could never have dreamed of. That, in my opinion, is the charm of a good mystery/detectiv ...more
A.M.
May 27, 2015 A.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Phryne hates chloroform, so when she finds herself almost passed out on the floor of the first class carriage, she pulls her small gun from her purse and shoots out the window. She breaks it with her shoe heel later to cover that she carries a gun. She thinks of everything.
But once they have stopped the train, opened all the windows and roused all the passengers, they find one is missing. The daughter’s face is badly burned by the chloroform and her aged mother is missing. When they find the mot
Agnesxnitt
Oct 14, 2013 Agnesxnitt rated it really liked it
I am a confirmed fan of the tv series based on these books, but this is the first one I have read - thanks again my excellent local library :) I will try to track down more - with self-imposed austerity measures in place my days of mad spending sprees on Amazon are things of the past (if only temporarily) so I am dependant on my local library and second hand book emporia.
Phyrne, the Honarable Miss Fisher, is a bit of a girl one way and another, with confidence and money enough to do what she lik
Alex
Feb 11, 2017 Alex rated it it was amazing
This was the best Miss Fisher yet!!!!! Loved it!! Was exciting and pulled you in right from the very start!! Liked the appearance of Detective-Inspector Robinson as well!
Jenny OH
Mar 06, 2016 Jenny OH rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I grabbed one of my mom’s Phryne Fisher books while she was visiting and was pleasantly impressed, enough to finish it in a week (I work full time and have a small kid so that says something about my available reading time!) There is definitely quite a bit of “I’m rich and hot and it’s 1920s Australia so I can pretty much wave my hand and get what I want/fix things plus I know martial arts” so the mystery gets wrapped up quickly and with little fuss, but it was a good Agatha Christie style whodu ...more
Damaskcat
Oct 19, 2013 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing
Phryne Fisher and her maid Dot are travelling by train to Ballarat when someone tries to chloroform the whole carriage and an elderly lady is murdered. Thanks to Phryne’s quick thinking no one else suffers any lasting ill effects from the frightening experience. Phryne is asked by the victim’s daughter to investigate the murder.

I enjoyed this fast paced story and thought it was well plotted. This is the third in the series Bert and Cec the taxi drivers find themselves investigating a mystery of
Marina
Mar 04, 2015 Marina rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, own-ebook
Some spoilers.

The series is progressing nicely. I still can't help but compare to the TV show, but I like it nonetheless.

What this book suffered from was the meandering storylines. While I was able to follow them quiet easily, the fact that the two mysteries has little to do with each other, was distracting. Greenwood should just focus on more and make it a little harder to solve. The villains of this story were a little two obvious. The scary thing is that the villains are very real.

Men like Al
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • The Serpent and the Scorpion
  • Service for Two (Pennyfoot Hotel #3)
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • World's Greatest Sleuth!
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
  • Away with the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11)

“She was sensible of the fact that while there were two sets of masculine arms to fall into, and one of them her current pet, Phryne had fallen into Dot’s.” 3 likes
“I want to find the murderer too. I don’t like having my journeys interrupted by chloroform.” 1 likes