Start by marking “Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)” as Want to Read:
Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)

Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,366 ratings  ·  153 reviews

Published December 1st 2006 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Victoria Dock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Victoria Dock

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters4 by Agatha ChristieAn Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James
Women who Solve Crimes
16th out of 426 books — 110 voters
Silent in the Grave by Deanna RaybournCocaine Blues by Kerry GreenwoodDeath at Victoria Dock by Kerry GreenwoodThe Green Mill Murder by Kerry GreenwoodThe Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry
Sleuths in Silks
3rd out of 85 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 2.5* of five

Death at Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood is the fourth installment in the Phryne Fisher series.

I am seriously irked. This Greenwood moll has something against teenaged girls, and puts them repeatedly in the most heinous jeopardy imaginable and then when they're extricated all is suddenly sweetness and light.

I don't do book reports, because if I want to know what a book's about I read it. I also hate spoilers. But I am about to make a big fat plot-ruining spoiler here, so go
LJ
DEATH AT VICTORIA DOCK (Private Investigator-Australia- VG
Greenwood, Kerry –4th in series
Allen & Unwin, 1992- Australian paperback
The Honorable Phryne Fisher becomes involved in hunting down anarchists after they shoot out her windscreen, and cause her to hold an attractive young man in her arms as he dies. The trail leads her to a tattoo parlor, spiritualist, a new lover and her “family” being in danger. Simultaneously, she is looking for a young girl who has run away from home wanting to j
Renae
Perhaps not the best in the series thus far, but still entertaining and solid all-around. I especially loved the homage paid to Shakespeare in this—Greenwood usually finds a way to work him in a few times per book, but in Death at Victoria Dock it was more pronounced. The mystery itself was not to my taste—having to do with Baltic anarchists and thus requiring that there be some info-dumping to keep the reader abreast of Slavic politics in the early 20th century. Not quite as entertaining as Phr ...more
Mark
Phryne Fisher is a bit like an Australian Auntie Mame, if Mame had a few more challenges early in life before becoming rich, became a private detective, and wasn't restricted to Hays Code depiction of her sex life.

This one has Bolsheviks, Latvians and a Lewis gun. In this case I had already seen the TV episode based on the book, and while the books are immensely entertaining I don't think they are quite at the level where I need to get the same story twice--but plenty left for me to read in the
Andrea
Phryne Fisher is back! One night while driving home, Phryne is shocked to find that someone is shooting at her. Not only do they shoot out her windscreen but she also finds that a lovely young fellow with an anarchist tattoo has also been shot and dies in her arms.

Phyrne is enraged by the loss of her clothing due to the dying man's blood, the damage to her car and the horrible loss of such a young life. Promising that she will find who is responsible and make them pay Phryne sets out to identif
Leah
I have missed Important Plot Points by reading this and not the third in the series - I had no idea Phryne got hooked up with her adoptive daughters so early on in the series. Serves me right for reading out of order I suppose.

Greenwood's writing and comfort with the characters and the era has progressed in leaps and bounds from the second adventure (the last one I read), Flying Too High, and the set pieces are better handled and more fun than they have been yet.

I still get the feeling that all
Shelly
I have to ask myself would I enjoy reading these if I had not seen the TV series first. The Phryne Fisher who inhabits the books is an interesting character, but she seems rather flat compared to Essie Davis' incarnation of her. (And the costumes...!)

What distinguishes these books from cozies is the extent to which they take on the social issues of their time and place (and ours, too - we haven't made as much progress as we might like). Anarchy, incest, abortion, drugs, and of course the status
Donna
Phryne takes on anarchists and a side plot involving incest (yuk).

I keep sticking with this series even with its flaws. The setting is Australia but there is so little of Australia in it that for the first third of the book I was thinking they had moved to England. Phryne still hasn't grown on me that much--she's so perfect it's impossible to relate to her.

On the positive side, the books are entertaining and very quick reads. They are also reasonably priced for the Kindle and I do love the beaut
Naomi Young
Like the other books in this series, it's wildly improbable, yet somehow engaging. Two unrelated mysteries for Miss Fisher to solve. Phryne is something of a female Australian Bond, full of all kinds of arcane knowledge and freer with her affections than Emma Goldman.

Meta note: I recently read a comment from a friend who is discouraged by our social appetite for "fast fiction" -- fluffy and insubstantial stuff. I can only plead that sometimes I do not wish to think or engage deeper issues. Perh
Renee
Phryne is Phun.
Deanne
Anarchists, murder and kidnapping. Death at Victoria Dock starts with a shooting, which leads Phryne to a dangerous group of Latvians. There's the usual cast of supporting characters, Dot, Jane, Ruth, Bert and Sec, but no Jack Robinson.
In some ways it's fun to spot the difference between the books and the tv series.
Entertaining read.
Grey853
Kris
4 STARS

"Driving home late one night, Phryne Fisher is surprised when someone shoots out her windscreen. When she alights she finds a pretty young man with an anarchist tattoo dying on the tarmac just outside the dock gates. He bleeds to death in her arms, and all over her silk shirt.

Enraged by the loss of the clothing, the damage to her car, and this senseless waste of human life, Phryne promises to find out who is responsible. But she doesn't yet know how deeply into the mire she'll have to go:
Anna
Surely someone's come up with a Phryne Fisher drinking game by now: drink when Phryne notices a pretty young man; when Dot runs Phryne a bath (take a shot if the bath salts/oils are named by brand); when Phryne's clothes/car/wallpaper are described; when Cec and Bert go out on reconnaissance; when Mr Butler mixes a drink or Mrs Butler makes tea...

Then again, let's hope nobody's ever played such a drinking game, or alcohol poisoning is sure to have followed.

I mock because I love, of course: part
Sally
As much as I've loved the frst Phryne Fisher books, I think Death at Victoria Dock is the book in which the series has really hit it's stride.

The characterisations continue to be very well written, the stories are similar; but each is different and exciting and criminally nasty and new. Some of the dialogue in this book was superb. It felt as though it could have come straight out of my head. It takes a very good writer to be able to invoke that feeling in a reader.

The fantastic nature of Phryne
Dlora
I've read three of these books about Phryne (rhymes with briney) Fisher, a liberated female detective living in Australia in the 1910s after World War I. I really enjoy the writing, the characters are fascinating, the plots are well drawn, and the history is fantastic. Death at Victoria Dock is probably my favorite of the three I read. Phryne is trying to track down two anarchists from Latvia who killed one of their members because of his loose mouth and then shot at her because she happened to ...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #4 Phrynne Fisher, Investigator, Melbourne, Australia, 1928; gently satirical thriller, historical. A young girl from A Good Family goes missing, a beautiful young man dies (bloodily) in Phrynne’s arms, and Latvian revolutionaries seem to have exported their feuds to Australia, involving Phrynne and Company in bank robberies, kidnaping, seances, several pairs of lovers’ quarrels, and a lot more. Very satisfying, and terrific writing, although IMO the ending is too unrelievedly sweet ...more
Nikki
According to my Goodreads history, I read this book in paper format several years ago. I now wonder whether I just guessed that I had read it, since when I listened to the audiobook, I didn't recall any of the plot points, and they were quite memorable.

Phryne Fisher, the rich and beautiful young woman who is the heroine of this series set in 1920s Melbourne, Australia, is driving her Hispano-Suiza near Victoria Dock when her windscreen is shot out and she observes two men fleeing. Alighting to a
P.d.r. Lindsay

This is the fourth in that delightful 1920s mystery series by Kerry Greenwood about the Honourable Phryne Fisher. Phryne is the woman we'd all like to be, debonair, independent and brilliant, the Australian private investigator who never turns a hair.

Phyrne is driving home past the Victorian Dock when some blaggard shoots at her smashing her beautiful car's windscreen. The two men continue shooting. Phryne is outraged, more so when she finds that what the men originally shot was a handsome youn
Vivienne
In addition to the murder of the young anarchist, Phryne also takes on on a case that involves locating a missing teenage girl, who had been upset when her father put his foot down over her desire to join an Anglican convent. The girl attends the same school as Jane and Ruth, Phryne's recently adopted daughters, and so they are able to provide clues that lead Phryne to uncover the disturbing truth linked to the girl's disappearance.

This was another novel that had been adapted for the TV series
Kimberly
Death At Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher #4)

Phryne is driving home one night, when someone opens fire on her. Checking out the damage, Phryne finds the real target a beautiful young man who lies dying in the street. Angry at the loss of such a fine looking young man, Phryne sets out looking for the murders and winds up over her head in political intrigue.

Meanwhile the “respectable” father of a young runaway is referred to Phryne by the police. What she unearths there, makes the
Ann
I love Phryne. She is a gutsy broad who doesn't take any guff from men or women. She lives her life on her terms and enjoys life at its fullest. She is angered when her car window is shot out as she passes Victoria Dock. A "beautiful" young man is dying on the street and she gets blood on her clothes. She goes after the murderers and car abusers with abandon and soon finds the culprits. She is the kind of woman I wish I could be - beautiful, rich and brazen.
Damaskcat
Phryne Fisher is driving her Hispano Suiza towards her home one evening when someone shoots at her as she is driving past Victoria Dock. She stops to remove the shattered glass from her windscreen and her person and sees a body lying on the ground. The young man has been fatally wounded and dies in her arms. Phryne vows to solve the murder because she doesn’t like being shot at and she’s rather partial to beautiful young men.

This is a well written and at times humorous mystery set in 1920s Austr
Bryan Higgs
The fourth in the Phryne Fisher series. I'm still enjoying them for the context (1930s Melbourne, Australia) and the romp. These are definitely 'cosies'.

Phryne has gained two adopted daughters and one cat.

One lover in this one...

On to the next one: The Green Mill Murder
Jill
I enjoy these, but they're more "wish fulfillment action story" than mysteries. Phryne is rich, beautiful, men love her, and she's good at everything. Think James Bond as an Australian flapper. I usually dislike that type of character. but the author writes the story with a light touch, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

Plus the tv series is great, so I'm determined to keep up with the book series.
Karen
Another great edition to the series. I really enjoy these as it is a fairly unique setting (1920s Melbourne) for a fun, light, cozy mystery ; with a heroine who started off poor, but inherited a lot of money and so now is essentially a socialite who uses her spare time to solve mysteries. She is quite atypical though, in that she carries a gun, can fly a plane, speak several languages, is happy to be promiscuous and is loyal to her friends.
Once again, Detective Phryne Fisher finds herself in trouble. She never asks for it; she never looks for it; but yet she seems to stumble upon it all the time. On the plus side, she has a stream of handsome men always at her heels. In this one, Phryne tries to bust a ring of anarchists who are looking to rob a bank with an automatic machine gun. She also hunts for a girl with a book of secrets who has gone missing.

My favorite moment in this book was when Phryne went into the tattoo parlor to get
Maire
Another good book in the Phryne Fisher historical mystery series. This was a good one, but not my favorite--one of the mystery subplots was a little too weird for my taste. Also, I'm starting to be a little annoyed about how there are two entirely separate plots that aren't combined. The TV show does such a great job of making everything feel more holistic--just wish the books did this first!
Jos
The Docks must have been quite the place in the 1920's. Difficult for us to even imagine, given the huge machinery that sits there today. But still, I imagine that the dark seedy side of thing hasn't changed all that much.

Another enjoyable read. Not too long. Not too short. Characters are becoming friends now and its nice to visit on a regular basis.
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs #10)
  • Bride of the Wind
  • Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax 14)
  • The Black Dove
  • A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford #3)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
  • Away With the Fairies
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2) Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3) The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5) Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)

“First, a bath. I'm feeling soiled. Too much contact with cold reality, I think.” 2 likes
“If you are not scared then there is no merit in being brave.” 1 likes