Start by marking “The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)

The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher #5)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,872 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
Phryne Fisher is doing one of her favorite things --dancing at the Green Mill (Melbourne's premier dance hall) to the music of Tintagel Stone's Jazzmakers, the band who taught St Vitus how to dance. And she's wearing a sparkling lobelia-coloured georgette dress. Nothing can flap the unflappable Phryne--especially on a dance floor with so many delectable partners. Nothing e ...more
Published April 9th 2007 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Mill Murder, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Melanie Donovan Thank you! That has been bugging me! I thought it was such a weird choice to leave the murder unsolved (at least officially, since Phryne did say she…moreThank you! That has been bugging me! I thought it was such a weird choice to leave the murder unsolved (at least officially, since Phryne did say she knew who did it).(less)

Magdalena
Jan 18, 2017 Magdalena rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
The Green Mill Murder is book five in the Phryne Fisher series and you can read them as stand-alone's, although you probably will get a better insight into the characters by reading from the beginning. I have so far read all but one prior to this book, but I have also seen the TV-series. And, have you seen the TV-series will you definitely both have a familiar feeling reading these books, but also feel that so much is different. And, the one thing I miss most of all is the flirtatious relationsh ...more
Nikki
This is what, by now, counts as a fairly typical story for Phryne, featuring two different lovers, some acts of derring-do, and little glimpses of the found-family going on with Ruth, Jane, Bert, Cec, the Butlers, Dot, and Phryne. Oh, and some very unpleasant people in society. Actually, I would quite like to see Phryne getting on with some people that she doesn’t want to sleep with and doesn’t despise, in her own social class… not that social class matters much to her; it just feels like a gap. ...more
Rachel
Apr 24, 2009 Rachel rated it did not like it
I've got to confess...I was very disappointed with this book. Usually Kerry Greenwood has a tight, clean, writing style, but this one was vague and all over the place. It seemed to be more of a showcase on the research that Ms. Greenwood did on 1920s jazz. In most mystery stories, it is common practice at the end of the book to actually solve the murder. But the murder is never solved! Instead, we are detoured to endure a sounding board for gay rights and a look into emotional abuse. That's fine ...more
Anastasia
Jul 15, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
The Green Mill murder by Kerry Greenwood is the 5th book in the Phryne Fisher Murder mystery series. Phryne is attending a dance competition at the Green Mill when one of the competitors is stabbed dead without anyone noticing anything. I enjoyed this book very much. I listened to the Audible versionwhich added to my enjoyment as the narrator did a wonderful job in bringing the different characters to life and also sung the jazz and blues songs. It also included an interview with the author at t ...more
Text Addict
I'm wishing now that I wasn't reading these out of order, because this volume is much improved over the #2 and #3 that I have read. Greenwood slows down a bit in order to describe things more, and allow the characters (and readers) more time to absorb events rather than skip along just taking note of them.

The Great War continues to be a background theme - much as it was to Australian life at the time (the 1920s), I'm sure. It's more directly so here, as one of the key characters "had a bad war,
Maggie Anton
Jun 09, 2015 Maggie Anton rated it really liked it
The series is getting better with each book. The characters in this one really came to life, and I appreciated how the realities of WW1 came into it.

One BIG problem for those reading the hardcover version - THE LAST CHAPTER IS MISSING. Thus I only found out the murderer's identity and motive by reading Goodreads reviews. The publisher will send a pdf of the final chapter if a readers emails them for it, but I didn't know this until later.
eyes.2c
Phryne flies high!

Phryne is attending a dance marathon at a jazz club with 'a tedious but socially acceptable escort', Charles Freeman. Tintagel Stone the band leader leader and banjo player has a delectable pair of blue eyes. The last two marathon couples are exhausted but still dancing. One stumbles and falls--never to rise again. Phryne is flung headlong into murder, blackmail, missing persons, and a brief liaison--or two, although lamenting from time to time her anarchist lover met in Death
Richard Derus
Dec 30, 2011 Richard Derus rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5* of five

Okay, no adolescent girls in jeopardy this time, so I will continue reading the books.

Phryne does, however, interact with two more stereotypes: The neurasthenic, crying gay interior decorator and the outdoorsy, rough lesbian couple.

Try something a little less cardboard, Miss Greenwood. I am losing heart.

The structure of the book isn't great. The eponymous murder takes place, is investigated, and left unresolved. I think I know who did it, but I have no idea why...or at least
Diabolika
Feb 03, 2017 Diabolika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mistery
I liked the story. I met again my usual Phryne: sparkling, witty and shameless!

"Bear up, man, it is not the dead you have to be afraid of. The living are much more dangerous."

"That being so, I shall put myself to bed. Pity there's no one in it but me, but there it is."

I was glad Inspector Robinson (dear Jack) was a bit more present. I enjoyed their funny conversations. A little shame about the end, too fast and without a clear explanation of the murder.
Bryan Higgs
Aug 02, 2014 Bryan Higgs rated it really liked it
I discovered this series a while ago, and they are rather a lot of fun. The protagonist, Phryne Fisher is an interesting and definitely risqué character who solves murders which seem to happen quite a bit around her -- rather like many detectives in the literature. The location is interesting -- Melbourne, Australia -- as is the timeframe -- post WW1. The writing is quite entertaining, and the plots interesting -- on the whole, a good, light read.

My wife and I have been enjoying the "Miss Fisher
Ken Fredette
Apr 17, 2015 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it
This was the best book so far for Phryne Fisher. It was changed drastically from the book for the TV story. I love to watch the TV version anyway 6 or 7 times.
Lynda
Mar 13, 2017 Lynda rated it really liked it
It is no surprise that the books are much better than the tv series, but what was a surprise what that Kerry Greenwood infuses the books with so much human drama.
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
I can't say this is the best of the Phryne Fisher series. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'm rather disappointed in it. While it had all of Greenwood's typical style and verve, the story was quite poor. Phryne never solved the main mystery. Or, to be more correct, she solves it, but then she flies off to solve another case and leaves the reader hanging as to who committed the Green Mill murder. Perhaps Greenwood is counting on clever readers to figure it out for themselves and to deduce how it ...more
Elaine Tomasso
Nov 11, 2016 Elaine Tomasso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Poisoned Pen Press for a review copy of The Green Mill Murder, the fifth adventure for the irrepressible Honourable Phrynne Fisher in 1920s Melbourne.

Phrynne is at the Green Mill nightclub when one half of the last two couples standing in a dance marathon falls dead at her feet. She is not unused to men falling at her feet but they are not normally murdered. Phrynne's escort for the evening, Charles Freeman, does not take the sight of a corpse well and rushes
Carol
This was my second Phryne Fisher novel, so I came to it prepared, I thought. Fisher's a comfortable and interesting enough character. Greenwood's easy-breezy style was on full display. I read The Green Mill Murder in two long sittings in a single day, indicating it was a pleasant Sunday read.

I was disappointed. The mystery was, meh, and Fisher expressed little interest in solving it. When we learn, almost as a throw-away paragraph, who committee the crime, the motive is entirely unclear and Gree
Cissa
Nov 06, 2015 Cissa rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much, I have to be careful in doling it out to myself! I want it to last!

(My edition, bought 10-2015, is complete. If you get one that is missing pages, I'd suggest either returning it to Amazon or contacting Poisoned Pen Press directly.)

This is an excellent mystery, piquing my interest in both the origins of jazz, the legal riskiness of homosexuality (male), and some of the effects of the Great War on the men that fought in it.

As with the previous books, while some of the
LJ
THE GREEN MILL MURDER (Private Investigator-Australia-1920s) – VG
Greenwood, Kerry – 5th in series
McPhee Gribble, 1993- Aus. Paperback
Phryne Fisher attends the last day of a dance marathon with her friend Charles. When another dancer is murdered, Charles disappears. In order to protect the family estate, Charles' mother hires Phryne to find Charles' brother, who went to the Outback after WWI. In the meantime, the blues singer at the club where the murder occurred, asks Phryne to find her missing
Ivonne Rovira
Sep 02, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kerry Greenwood has done it again. In the Honorable Phryne Fisher's fifth outing in The Green Mill Murder, one of the contestants in a dance marathon collapses after having been stabbed in the heart and Phryne literally trips over him. Phryne's escort for the evening, Charles Freeman, an effete, selfish Momma's boy, is initially accused of the murder. Freeman's overbearing mother hires Phryne to clear her son.

Phryne solves the mystery of this death at the Green Mill, Melbourne's finest dance cl
Lovepat
Jul 31, 2012 Lovepat rated it liked it
I have now read 5 of the Phryne Fisher series by kerry Greenwood and have enjoyed them. I finally know how to pronounce the first name of the heroine- FRY-NEE- thanks Jann!
I have been looking for light entertaining reading this summer and these books fill the bill. The escapades and personality of a 1920's "modern" woman are quite entertaining. Love the descriptions of clothing, food, and the social/political climate of the times. Interesting era-appropriate vocabulay, humor and a well defined
Jann Barber
Aug 13, 2013 Jann Barber rated it liked it
I read this entry in the Phryne Fisher series while in a lot of pain from kidney stones, so perhaps this is why I feel as if I missed the answer to one of the mysteries.

Phryne is attending a dance competition and is present when one of the contestants drops dead on the dance floor, stabbed by a knife/hatpin. A jazz band is playing, and Phryne becomes smitten with one of the players, because it's Phryne!

Her dance partner, Charles, rushes to the bathroom, having stated that he has never seen a cor
Sharla
Sep 15, 2016 Sharla rated it liked it
I have been enjoying this series and enjoyed this book more than the others, until the last bit. One character went from being tall, handsome and a graceful dancer to being a plump fellow with a permanent sneer between the beginning of the book and the end. You might get away with revealing hitherto unknown aspects of a character’s personality but to change their whole appearance is a bit much. Then there is the ending in which things are revealed but not satisfactorily resolved in my opinion. T ...more
Leah
A lot of the earlier Phryne Fishers are a little shaky to start with, as this is, but this one builds up and becomes a lot more enjoyable as it progresses. I find she takes a little too much time describing the appearance of every character and that this doesn't help much in illustrating their personas, and that the secondary characters are pretty one-dimensional, but it doesn't detract from a simple enjoyment of the series.
The final act, set in the remote mountains outside of Melbourne, is brea
Carolyn Injoy
Dec 04, 2016 Carolyn Injoy rated it really liked it
The Green Mill Murder: Phryne Fisher #5 (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) by Kerry Greenwood is an entertaining mystery. It kept my attention from start to finish. I gave it four stars. I will look for more Phyrne Fisher books to read since I enjoyed the character.

"Pallid faces, over-rouged or under-coloured, blinked in the glare. Nothing looks worse, thought Phryne, than a brightly lit hall that should be dim."

I received a complimentary Kindle copy from Poisoned Pen Press and NetGalley. That did not ch
Matt Williams
Sep 10, 2014 Matt Williams rated it really liked it
This book receives three stars for being a typical Phryne Fisher mystery. Fun elements, wry humor, the characters we know and love. There is a particularly enjoyable section which captures a 1920's flight through the Australian Alps which managed to capture both the beauty of the terrain and the social aspects of early flight.

This book earns its fourth star simply for Wom, the Wombat. Everybody loves Wombats!
Melissa
Apr 13, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
I was confused at the end if this one because the main murder is left unsolved. Apparently some copies of this book are missing the final chapter where the main mystery is solved. Unfortunately my library's copy is one of those. I was able to learn the identity of the murderer in other reviews. Even apart from that, this one lacks some of the sparkle of earlier novels. I'll keep reading, but I'm pretty unhappy with this one in the series.
Linnea
Sep 06, 2015 Linnea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly entertaining and classy mystery story. Phryne is great as a no-nonsense lady detective and her posse is precious and goodhearted. Atmosphere of the 1920's Australia is interesting and new compared to the usual European/American landscape and the mysteries are clever without trying too hard. Very entertaining read in a compact form.
Amy
Oct 07, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
This was a bit more introspective than the other books, but I rather liked that! It was quieter and more focused on Phryne than the murder, though there were still two mysteries here to solve. Unfortunately, my library copy seems to have been one published with the last chapter and a half missing, and I had to buy the ebook just so I could finish reading it! Still not at all bad overall.
Emma
Apr 30, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great Phryne Fisher novel by Kerry Greenwood! These books are such fun while being well written. You can tell that a lot of research has gone into them to make sure the facts and the 1920s Melbourne places are correct.

Onto the next one!
Donna
Nov 03, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2014
This has been my favorite of this series so far. This is somewhat unexpected because the focus is not particularly on the mystery; instead we get a more introspective Phryne and an interesting encounter in the Bush with a war-scarred veteran.
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • A Woman Unknown (Kate Shackleton, #4)
  • A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #2)
  • Love Songs from a Shallow Grave (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #7)
  • Silent Murders (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #2)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
  • Away with the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11)

“No cook can ignore the opinion of a man who asks for three helpings. One is politeness, two is hunger, but three is a true and cherished compliment.” 5 likes
“Padre always told me me language was sulphurous.” 0 likes