Start by marking “Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us” as Want to Read:
Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us

Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,460 Ratings  ·  1,153 Reviews
A tribe is any group of people, large or small, who are connected to one another, a leader, and an idea. For millions of years, humans have been seeking out tribes, be they religious, ethnic, economic, political, or even musical (think of the Deadheads). It's our nature.

Now the Internet has eliminated the barriers of geography, cost, and time. All those blogs and social ne
Published October 16th 2008 by Portfolio (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tribes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tribes

Bonnie Grove
Jan 21, 2012 Bonnie Grove rated it did not like it
It's been a long time since I've read such a book of nonsense. I'm about half-way in, and so far he has said absolutely nothing. I feel like I'm reading a George Lucas script - all sound-bites and no content.
I'll save you the time and expense of buying this book. The message is this: Give your life over to a specific aspect of life, become the go-to person for that niche, be innovative in your use of the internet to spread the word about your masterfulness.
I cannot for the life of be believe th
Ron
This book will make you want to go out and change the world.

It's a powerful reminder that what we call "marketing" is really just doing something that you believe in passionately and then sharing that passion with other people, getting them to believe in you as well. There are all sorts of ideas and causes around which we might organize--but in order to do it, we need to be out there, making things happen because we refuse to live with the fear that we can't.
Marianne
Nov 23, 2008 Marianne rated it did not like it
Recommended to Marianne by: JSW
So far, not too impressed. The author stays just on the surface and hasn't said anything new or thought-provoking (so far). It would be a better book if it were more focused and had depth, but it seems to be just a repackaging of what's already out there and trendy in the business/marketing world.
Chloe
Oct 08, 2009 Chloe rated it did not like it
Shelves: sociology, audiobook
I originally picked up this audiobook because the descriptions I had read of it made it sound as though it were the thematic follow-up to Malcolm Gladwell’s incredibly enjoyableThe Tipping Point. I was expecting a study on how like-minded people have a tendency to congregate and an analysis of how ideas can jump from one micro-group to another. I would have loved a book like that: thought-provoking, engaging, at times irritating, but a book that made me excited to talk about it with others.

Inste
William Aicher
Feb 09, 2010 William Aicher rated it did not like it
Shelves: culture, business
From the outset, I should make it clear that I only made it about a third of the way through Tribes before closing it for good. So, what follows is only based on what is in that first third of the book.

Seth Godin's 'Tribes' is possibly the worst business-type book I've ever read. Basically it's nothing more than a large motivational speech to try to get people to become leaders. There's very little, if any, research presented in this book - and everything that is presented comes across as Godin'
Molly
Oct 10, 2008 Molly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone striving for change
Recommended to Molly by: Seth's blog
Seth Godin is an inspiration to an entire generation of people, many of which spend a large portion of their day in front of a computer for both fun AND profit.

This book Tribes, is the best book on leadership, social change and creating a movement that I have read.

A book that SCREAMS to be highlighted and written in and talked about.

Extremely short chapters that pack a punch, this is a must read for anyone with a burning desire for change who just needs the little push to get beyond the fear.

E
Carol Merritt
Nov 03, 2008 Carol Merritt rated it really liked it
This was an interesting mix of self-help/motivational leadership stuff with a bit of insight about how tribes are now forming. I liked it best when Godin talked about the nature of how tribes interact,especially when he explained the difference between how things used to be and how they are now.

The motivational cheerleading seemed a bit inauthentic. I mean, he would write things like "you should be leading..." and I would just think, How do you know? You don't know me.
Todd
Feb 01, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
I'll tell you right up front that this is a book you'll dismiss or embrace. I'm fairly certain there is no middle ground here. What it comes down to is your willingness to believe you can lead and your acceptance that most folks are sheepwalking.

Seth takes us through a perspective on what constitutes a leader and what leaders do. He explains from his point of view why companies large and small and the individuals within fight to maintain the status quo. But more than that, there are hit home ex
Micah Elliott
Jan 05, 2009 Micah Elliott rated it it was amazing
In the classic Godin style, more than anything this book is motivational, with an expected emphasis on embracing change and overcoming the F-word (Fear). But this time there's more to it (hence the multitude of tags) -- leadership! We have to assemble and lead a tribe, and "managing" isn't going to work. We must start movements, via motivation and connectivity. "The barriers to leadership have fallen," as the necessary tools are now readily available: blogs, search, RSS, social networks, GTD, pr ...more
John
Jul 14, 2014 John rated it liked it
Shelves: my-books
I don't understand what the big deal is with Seth Godin. I follow his blog and he rarely says anything that I find terribly insightful. Maybe it's the difference in our backgrounds - he comes from a management background and I come from theatre and the arts - but most of what he says is stuff that's pretty obvious to me. And he tends to try and make comparisons between things that are frequently incorrect. For example, in one recent blog post, he compared a Bentley to a Toyota and stated that th ...more
Gene Babon
Dec 01, 2008 Gene Babon rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership
Leadership is in desperate demand, especially given the current uncertainty in our global economy. Seth Godin provides a call to action for anyone who wants to fill the void, regardless of your current station in life.

The focus is on "tribes" which the author defines as a group of individuals who share a common interest along with a way to communicate with one another. Tribes need leadership. We all belong to multiple tribes. Pick one and lead. That is the author's call-to-action.

I'm a fan of Se
Ken Schafer
Nov 01, 2008 Ken Schafer rated it it was ok
I have to say that I was very disappointed in this outing by Seth Godin. I've read most of his work since Permission Marketing and found this to be one of the weakest.

The book is primarily a call to arms for those in larger organizations who fear taking the lead within those organizations. Very little of it is truly about "Tribes" and how they impact business which is what I thought I was getting.
Scott Radtke
Nov 22, 2008 Scott Radtke rated it really liked it
While the book is small and in some ways lightweight, it also manages to be deeply engaging. In essence it's a rant to get you off your ass and do what you love to do and inspire others to follow. It's about true leadership, not about being a boss or a manager, but a leader.
Ryan
Dec 24, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Business books are usually so vapid and market driven that they rarely deserve a five star rating. Make no mistake, like other books in the genre this too is a small and silly book. What Tribes lacks in sophistication and documentation it makes up for with anecdotes and elegance. The book is filled with rarely articulated common sense observations. Godin's exploration of 21 Century leadership takes the time to make connections between school and lack of leadership. On page 97...

"Training a stud
Nura Yusof
Aug 08, 2011 Nura Yusof rated it did not like it
Am disappointed. This book sounded more like a self-help, ra-ra you-can-do-it diatribe than it is a how-to book.

As usual, it's sprinkled with many anecdotes of little and unheard of people and companies , which as Godin asserts, are leaders in their own right. All of which helped make this book less boring, thankfully.

I distrust any business book that doesn't have a content list or even index pages, not to mention bibliography list. Is this a sign of leadership or fiction?

That the book is split
Rosa
Jan 08, 2009 Rosa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I am a fan of Seth Godin, but this book annoyed me just as much as it entertained me.

In short, Godin seeks to elevate leadership —and I applaud his ideas in that regard, however he does so at the expense of management, and he depreciates the worth of managers nearly every single time he mentions them. I understand the comparison he is trying to make, however please don’t buy in to that notion that we don’t need managers —he is dead wrong.

I listened to this on audio first, and when I saw the hard
Poonam
Dec 30, 2013 Poonam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is second Seth Godin book I have read this year. It seems as repetitive and hollow as the previous one. In Linchpin, he said you are the one who can act as linchpin, a leader and bring about the change irrespective of your designation in the organization. All it needs is passion and courage. In Tribe, he repeats same thing, only with one additional fact, that you could lead a tribe. For example, Apple employees are a tribe, Grateful Dead is a tribe. Tribes are with three-way connection - Le ...more
Nikoleta
Oct 26, 2013 Nikoleta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Значи, първо искам да кажа, че не я прочетох, за да бъда лидер. Не, не, в никакъв случай, просто харесвам Сет Годин като блогър и преди няколко години се подведох, че може би и книгите му са добри. И точно тук сбърках, защото Сет Годин не става за "маркетинг писател". Трябваше да прочета 4 негови книги, за да съм абсолютно убедена, че той повтаря едно и също и не, че не казва нищо, но да речем, че повече пали фойерверки, отколкото обогатява с твърди познания. Което е супер, когато списва блог, н ...more
Amy
Apr 30, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have a friend who drank the Godin kool-aid and devotes his time trying to get others to drink it. I finally caved and checked out Tribes, which was featured on a list of Godin's "best works" and sounded interesting to me.

This one's hard to review. If you like Godin's punchy style, you'll love this. If you're already a business-person doing marketing in the digital age (or you were in 2008), you'll get all the references he makes. He'll throw out a name or an idea without explaining it or back
Santhosh
Aug 03, 2015 Santhosh rated it really liked it
Fotis Chatzinicolaou
Aug 16, 2014 Fotis Chatzinicolaou rated it really liked it
Αρκετή τροφή για σκέψη εδώ μέσα. Ο Seth δίνει την ανάλυσή του για τις φυλές και τους αρχηγούς που τις οδηγούν.

Πέρα από την φαινομενικά χαώδης οργάνωση του βιβλίου (μπορείτε να το διαβάσετε από όποιο σημείο θέλετε) το βιβλίο προσπαθεί να εμπνεύσει τον αναγνώστη να αρχίσει να ηγείτε κάποιας φυλής.

Αυτή η φυλή μπορεί να είναι αποτελείτε από τον οποιοδήποτε και να έχει σαν στόχο το οτιδήποτε. Υπάρχουν άτομα που περιμένουν κάποιον να τους βάλει σε μια σειρά και να κινηθούν μαζί προς κάποιον κοινό στόχ
CV Rick
Aug 12, 2011 CV Rick rated it really liked it
I read business books before, but none like Tribes by Seth Godin. When this book was first recommended to me I thought that it was going to be one of those group friendly, feel good, “the Internet will solve all your problems” books. But instead it was about leadership and it's the kind of leadership that I've often suspected to be genuine. Seth describes the act of taking initiative in creating your own tribe which you lead accidentally or on purpose. And I have to say it's quite refreshing.

The
Holly Ord
Sep 10, 2009 Holly Ord rated it it was amazing
Seth Godin is the most popular business blogger in the world. He has authored several books, one in particular, The Dip, was a New York Times bestseller. His books have been translated into more than 25 languages. He is the founder and CEO of the social network Squidoo.com. Seth Godin is a real leader and up until a few weeks ago I had never heard of him. Sure, I had heard about Squidoo.com a few times within the past two years or so, but after looking at the social networking site
I dismissed it
Joe
Dec 13, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody willing to be a heretic
First off, don't approach this book expecting something that is well written. To be honest, the book reads like a few hundred blog posts that, for the most part, link together in some coherent fashion ... although there are times you'll wonder how one thought prompted the next.

Now, with that work of warning out of the way, this book is filled with wisdom about how to lead people. Seth might be a marketing guy to the core, but he's written an amazing book on leadership that aims more to saturate
Trevor Acy
Dec 30, 2010 Trevor Acy rated it really liked it
A lot of people complain about these types of books that they aren't "detailed" enough or are just repeating what's been said before. The thing with common sense these days is that it isn't that common anymore. I think Seth Godin is spot on that the status quo is far too prevelant; that work is done to the absolute minimum, just enough to get by but not enough to get noticed. The best advice has been said over and over again and yet most people still don't hear it much less follow it.

Yes there
Karen Chung
Oct 12, 2015 Karen Chung rated it it was amazing
Read this even if you aren't planning to create a startup!

What are you passionate about in this life? Do what you were put here on earth to do, don't let fear freeze you up, and LEAD! You don't have to be rich, super-smart, powerful, or pretty. Anyone can be a leader, if you just DO it. Great ideas are a dime a dozen. Execution is what counts, and persistence. Sharing this with my collaborators!
Jacob
Dec 19, 2013 Jacob rated it it was amazing
Seth's approach to defining leadership is refreshing although I should make it clear that this isn't a book about leadership. This book is about making change. Creating a tribe around an idea or finding a tribe that exists and leading it toward greater change.

I read the book because it is becoming part of the business vernacular and everything Seth reads tends to be awesome. This was no different.

This book teaches that anyone can be a leader. There is no necessary personality attribute or circu
Cristina
Oct 01, 2015 Cristina rated it it was amazing
I've managed to clog my kindle's highlights list with ideas from this book. I might have just as well highlighted all of it.
I think the most important lesson, repeated countless times in different contexts, is that in order to be a great leader, one must set the audience, engage himself, share and listen. Passion and dedication are the sine-qua-non and the rest is persistence and time. 5-stars
worth a read and a re-read.
Gary Fixler
Nov 29, 2015 Gary Fixler rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was a fast read for me - about 3.5 hours. "Tribes" is a small, but fast-paced book with a lot of info, and hard opinions, which I like. As usual with such inspirational books, I'm quite motivated right now, but will now watch as that motivation fades into the background of my life. It did tell me some things I needed to hear, though, and one thing in particular—in fact, one of the main thrusts of the book—should serve as some much-needed armor against a constant sad-maker: that I just can't ...more
M.A. Lomascolo
Oct 11, 2014 M.A. Lomascolo rated it it was ok
I get it, and I see the value in what the author is saying. But I was not in the right mind set to read the book. All around me I see the destruction of the world because of one thing - tribalism. Tribalism in the Middle East, factions in Europe, political parties in the US. All I see around me is where the concept of tribe has gone way too far. For that, I guess the book should get more than 2 stars as I'm at fault for not keeping an open mind, but I guess I don't want to join Grodin's tribe at ...more
First thing.... 14 66 Apr 03, 2014 07:44AM
FULL Creative Lib...: Tribes 1 1 Mar 05, 2014 02:21PM
Who's winning? The Corporations or the Public? 1 20 Oct 29, 2009 09:17PM
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Tribal Leadership: Leveraging Natural Groups to Build a Thriving Organization
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust
More about Seth Godin...

“A tribe is a group of people connected to one another, connected to a leader, and connected to an idea. For millions of years, human beings have been part of one tribe or another. A group needs only two things to be a tribe: a shared interest and a way to communicate.” 68 likes
“The secret of leadership is simple: Do what you believe in. Paint a picture of the future. Go there.
People will follow.”