Start by marking “FDR: The First Hundred Days” as Want to Read:
FDR: The First Hundred Days

FDR: The First Hundred Days

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Hundred Days, Franklin Roosevelt’s first fifteen weeks in office, have become the stuff of legend, a mythic yardstick against which every subsequent American president has felt obliged to measure himself. The renowned historian Anthony J. Badger cuts through decades of politicized history to provide a succinct, balanced, and timely reminder that Roosevelt’s accomplishm ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Hill and Wang (first published February 27th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about FDR, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FDR

Michael Gerald Dealino
I have to admit. For a slim book, this was a tough read.

I had to brush up with my economics again, and read a thing or two about finance to be able to understand more the stuff here.

But from what I understood, the New Deal was a bridge for many Americans during the Depression. Though it did not immediately lead to economic recovery, the program eventually led to stability, preserved democracy, left lasting institutions and systems such as environmental conservation and social security, vastly i
Chris
May 03, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Things I probably could have used coming into this:

- A better knowledge of basic macroeconomics
- Any knowledge of agricultural economics
- Foreign trade policy background

It was a decent look at the first hundred days of FDR's presidency, and it did a nice job of revealing a more nuanced take on the crisis. It wasn't all government takeover/neener neener socialism, and it wasn't one long round of Let's Put The Businessmen In the Stockade. (Alas.)

More importantly, it seemed like every story or eve
Monte
Apr 24, 2009 Monte rated it it was amazing
Ironic the progressives at the time criticized FDR for not nationalizing the banks saying "we" would never get another chance...excellent review
Gary Schantz
Apr 07, 2013 Gary Schantz rated it did not like it
This is the second book I have read about FDR and this is the second book that hasnt educated me beyond giving factual information along the likes of reading an encylclopedia. I read about 30 pages and found myself wondering when the background information was going to start contributing to this book. It never happened.

Numerous names were thrown into the book but very little indepth information on any of them could be found. For example...one minute a man is selected to be the new attornery gene
Adam Townsend
Jan 20, 2016 Adam Townsend rated it it was ok
I believe this book was well written, but I also found it to be full of names I couldn't keep straight and technical. I think it was an accurate representation of the first hundred days of FDR's presidency and very informative, but I didn't necessarily enjoy the read.
Nick
Aug 22, 2011 Nick rated it liked it
A short but dry survey of the legislation of the early New Deal. Badger argues that the Hundred Days was anything but a left wing feeding frenzy. Among other things, he points to the hanging on of Hoover officials to manage the banking crisis, the balanced budget fetish of the White House, and the favoring of business over labor in the NIRA. Badger also highlights criticism of Roosevelt from the left. In his conclusion he writes, “The idea of the Hundred Days as a defining moment in twentieth-ce ...more
Heather
Apr 18, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a great little analysis of the Hundred Days of FDR by a famous New Deal/Great Depression historian, Anthony Badger. Even though this book is fairly short (you can read it in one day), it contains a great deal of information for the reader. There is a bibliography at the end so if the reader wants to look at the sources Mr. Badger used or wants to learn more on the subject the resources are there.

I absolutely loved this book. I read it cover to cover in less than a day. I definitely recom
Rita
Jan 13, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it
Not my favorite type of reading but once again a book club book that I wouldn't have picked on my own but am glad I read it. Interesting time in our history with a lot of relevance to the last decade.
Colleen Martin
Oct 06, 2009 Colleen Martin marked it as to-read-non-fiction
One of these days, I might get around to finishing this, but holy cow, it's incredibly drab.
Jason Riemens
Dec 16, 2012 Jason Riemens rated it really liked it
I am not an FDR fan, but I enjoyed this book.
Courtney Amber Hill
Courtney Amber Hill marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Tommy Kiedis
Tommy Kiedis marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Stef
Stef added it
Jan 16, 2016
Lilia
Lilia marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Gerardo AD
Gerardo AD rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Hdw
Hdw marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Scottjmath
Scottjmath marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
TR Peterson
TR Peterson marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Peach
Peach marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Jacques Yerby
Jacques Yerby marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Trampas Jones
Trampas Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Anthony John "Tony" Badger is a British academic and historian. Until 2014 he was Paul Mellon Professor of American History at Cambridge University and Master of Clare College, Cambridge.
More about Anthony J. Badger...