Start by marking “The Cornerstone” as Want to Read:
The Cornerstone

The Cornerstone

Do you constantly repeat instructions? Are you fighting a never-ending paper battle? Strong classroom management is the cornerstone of effective teaching, and this book will help lay the foundation for everything you want to accomplish professionally:

-Designate a place for EVERY type of classroom material
-Turn needy, disorganized children into self-reliant, responsible stu

Published July 1st 2008 by Xulon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cornerstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cornerstone

Ms.
Apr 18, 2012 Ms. rated it really liked it
The Cornerstone is perhaps the only book I would give to a student teacher. This book is about all the other parts of the job: everything from what to save from year to year to how to take a class to the drinking fountain. I wish I had read this before my first year. I plan to reread at least parts of it every summer.
Carrie
Jul 09, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it
I mainly read this for the chapter on avoiding the paper trap as that has always been a struggle for me as a teacher. So many papers and so little time you know?! So, in my opinion, The Cornerstone has wonderful pictures, tips, and strategies for staying organized in this teacher world! I feel much more assured than these past 6 years, that I will be able to tame the paper trap that overtakes everything.

But I also loved that this book gave some interesting tips on things that I have felt I was
Carla
Aug 06, 2011 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so far up to Part 3 in this handy Kindle edition, and as an early-ish teacher (five years), let me say I wish I had had this book as a set text when I was studying my teaching degree, and I wish I could have had its author as my first year mentor. At least this title, and its supporting website, runs a close second. Finally! Practical ideas and solutions for all the everyday issues that arise in the classroom!

I will write a full review when I finish reading, but my early impression of

The C
Tara
Jan 10, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing
A really helpful book, especially for new teachers. She has advice for any potential problem you might encounter in the classroom, really specific strategies to reinforce positive behavior in students. She also has a lot of great tips on staying organized as a teacher, things you definitely won't learn in any teaching program. I can't wait to implement these ideas in my classroom.
Shanna
Apr 15, 2014 Shanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many useful tips in this book! Angela Watson must be a great teacher because she has solutions for almost every typical classroom concern, and you can tell she genuinely cares about her students and loves her job. Written in a very down-to-earth tone, this book is like talking to a teacher friend. Honest, practical, and my favourite teaching book so far!
Myra
Nov 30, 2013 Myra rated it liked it
Shelves: education
She's a little too rigid in her ways of managing her classroom. She also made a reference to "urban" schools which is really her code for black kids. Unfortunately, her comments are not rare; therefore, I was still able to take away some helpful ideas.
Amy Brundeen
Jul 19, 2016 Amy Brundeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best teaching books I've read (twice)

This book is very practical and encouraging. She doesn't sugar coat the challenges of teaching, and actually tells you HOW to implement her ideas in an actual classroom.
Jennie
This is one of those books that's good to flip through before the year begins, just to remind you of the little things. It gives a little motivation.
Trista
Sep 06, 2012 Trista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacherreads
This book has many great ideas for classroom management and teacher organization. Very helpful and affirming.
Jelena
Aug 14, 2016 Jelena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good title for a wonderfully written teacher book. Reading this book my very first year of teaching was extremely helpful. Thank you!
Lisa
Aug 17, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
This is an excellent book for new teachers! I have and will refer to it often!
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
C
C rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2010
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Maureen Promis
Maureen Promis rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Cindy Black
Cindy Black rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Kristin Jenkins
Kristin Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Meaghan
Meaghan rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2011
Cynthia Saltman
Cynthia Saltman rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Emma Smith
Emma Smith rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2011
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2011
  • Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All
  • No More "I'm Done!": Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Catching Readers Before They Fall: Supporting Readers Who Struggle, K-4
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction
  • Literature Circles, second edition: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs & Reading Groups
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Getting the Buggers to Behave
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • The Morning Meeting Book
  • Leverage Leadership: A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Choice Words: How Our Language Affects Children's Learning
  • The First-Year Teacher's Survival Guide: Ready-To-Use Strategies, Tools & Activities for Meeting the Challenges of Each School Day
  • About Teaching Mathematics 036068