Start by marking “Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience” as Want to Read:
Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience

Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Business consultant and former MGM director of creative affairs Stephanie Palmer reveals the techniques used by Hollywood's top writers, producers, and directors to get financing for their projects and explains how you can apply these techniques to be more successful in your own high-stakes meetings. Because, as Palmer has found, the strategies used to sell yourself and yo ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 28th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Good in a Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good in a Room

Mark Bullard
This is a good book for a business person, especially an entrepreneurial one. While it's not at the top of my list. I would recommend it to anyone that expects to have to "pitch" their ideas. Business today is acting more and more like Hollywood in one important way. More and more businesses today are formed, run and dismantled like a movie production than ever before. A group of experts in different areas come together, create a concept, drive it to a logical conclusion and then move on to anot ...more
Jay
*Good in a Room* is one of those books that you read once and refer to many times. Read it the first time to pick up some valuable ideas. Keep it on your shelf for reference as you prepare for and attend those big meetings that can change your life or build your career.

In his book *The Success Principles*, Jack Canfield advises you to develop an elevator speech to pitch your products and serviced in a matter of seconds. In *Good In A Room*, Stephanie Palmer says the elevator pitch leads you to p
Don Weidinger
theatrical major, business like HS who liked and bond with care about love, do homework, to say yes and honored to be entrusted with your business, meet and exceed expectations, what do they want make it easy, go do 1 request offer notes, humble confidence, success verses respect, process success and result success, if willing to die easier to live, titles teaser trailer, elevator myth like kissing, business is personal honesty eye-eye, host small dinner parties, 1person at a time diverse group ...more
Stacy
This book is well-known among screenwriters (and if it isn't, it should be), but it's also great for other business situations. In fact, the principles would probably work better in business situations outside of Hollywood because typically, no matter how competitive an industry might be, it's probably not as competitive as Hollywood.

It's a great book if you own your own business and are looking for clients, if you're looking for a job, AND if you're trying to sell your screenplay. Breaks down
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
The interesting premise, well, temporarily interesting I'm afraid, being authored by a highly successful Hollywood executive telling us the secrets of connecting well in any situation....what to do, what not to do, stages and scenarios, all with lovely little examples from "real life" inside the Hollywood business culture. It's all good when you're reading the first intriguing bits, but it does go on a bit in a formulaic style: Subject, Hollywood story example, summary, example as to how to appl ...more
Jen
As I'm preparing for my pitch next summer at a writers' conference, I'm trying to get my hands on books that will help me in my pursuit of publication. This was one such book.

Stephanie Palmer has written a guide perfect for nearly everyone who's ever wanted to sell anything. I'll admit I'm not much of a salesperson. I'm introverted, shy with new people, and I often come across as lacking confidence. In other words, I'm a perfect candidate for her target market.

I learned several lessons from Good
Alissa
This is an excellent business book for anyone who presents ideas at work, owns a small business, attends networking events or is involved in any type of selling. It’s subtitle is: how to sell yourself (and your ideas) and win over any audience.

The first section I skimmed a lot but once I got to the second part I really started to understand what Palmer was driving at and went back and re-read the first few chapters. Based on her experience as a movie studio executive who was pitched ideas day in
Matthew
Good, but not great, book of tips on "the pitch." The author comes from a background as a big Hollywood producer and applies lessons from how scriptwriters and other creative pros successfully sell the studios/producers on their ideas to other realms of persuasion and sales.

She has some contrarian advice and some conventional advice, and some unique tidbits. If you're the type of person who enjoys books about sales, this is a pretty decent one to pick up.
Tamica Lewis
I truly enjoyed this little nugget which was suggested by some authors I saw at Comicpalooza. It was great advice! Although I already did some of this stuff and knew some other stuff, I had not put the information together just like this before. It was just floating out there, untethered thoughts in my mind, unformed. Reading this book helped me put those thoughts together and create a framework to approach high-stress meeting and situations.
Josh Maher
Really impressed, after reading Creativity Inc. and Subliminal I really found Good in a Room to be practical implementation guidance that was referenced in Creativity Inc and academically discussed in Subliminal.

If you just want to dive into networking, pitching, and selling in ways that aren't slimey and are well suited for the creative type just buy this book. I promise you'll learn something.

If you want the academic background, go read Subliminal. Here's the rest of the review http://joshma
Kirk
The author works in Hollywood, and the book has a sharp slant toward working in that market.

Still, the advice on self presentation seems good, although it's already been a while since I finished the book and all I can remember off the top of my head is using "titles, teasers, and trailers" rather than an elevator pitch. The rest is the kind of information that instantly makes sense, almost like you already knew it but had to be reminded. Of course, knowing the info and putting it into practice a
Derek
If you are someone that works with ... people ... even in IT then you should read this book. Every one of us is some part salesman in our home/work life. If you've ever had to pitch an idea to your: board, boss, employees, spouse, kids, then this book will be a valuable tool for you. Stephanie Palmer is a former MGM exec who listened to movie pitches all day and she separates the good techniques from the bad techniques and in cases gives step by step checklists to validate your pitch techniques. ...more
John Fletcher
Great book to learn more selling skills, interpersonal dynamics and meeting structure. Very practical in its tips for observing the other parties behavior. You can find a great companion guide online.
Greg
A great introduction to how to create successful meetings and interactions.
Mary
Great book. This is an overview of how to impress people, not just as a public speaker, but one-on-one. Lots of good, easy to read advice, from someone who has been on both sides of the conversation. I intend to reread it, with a highlighter. The best advice she gives is to not rush things and let a relationship develop. Any sales person would benefit from reading this.

I highly recommend it, especially for people who need to sell ideas.
Savvymaami
I can't say enough good things about this book. Palmer was a straight-shooter when it came to the facts and the delivery of her message. She skipped the fluff and told you exactly what you need to do in order to effectively negotiate or network your ideas. This will become a reference manual for me in my most important meetings. One of the best negotiating books out there.
Annette
Oct 29, 2008 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: freelance creative professionals, small-business owners
This is good stuff for anyone to review, even if you already have a nice handle on homework, presentation and follow-up. A lot of folks - especially creatives, with so much emotional investment in the work - have a hard time keeping follow-ups in perspective...so having an algorithm is seriously useful.
Andrew
A very informative self-help book that turns all the conventional ideas of how to sell yourself right on their head. As a screenwriter, it really helped me to realize what I need to do to sell my work and become successful. The most interesting section for me was on networking.
Brady
Largely tailored for Hollywood idea pitches, despite having some smaller case studies about business applications. Pretty generic stuff. Didn't walk away with any "aha" moments or things I can apply, although I do share her frustration with typical networking events.
Briana Ford
Started off pretty strong but it was too focused on Hollywood careers as opposed to pitching in general, which is understandable because the author works in Hollywood. Got a few good notes but by the time I reached Ch. 13 I got really bored and decided to stop.
Bart
Easily the best business book I have read. Stephanie Palmer presents her ideas and give realistic examples to show how to put her these ideas into action. This book is great for everyone. We all want to be good in a room.
Yougo
Aug 30, 2012 Yougo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Salespeople
Shelves: self-help, business
Not quite what I expected. I was expecting a 'networking' book, one on how to get better about talking to people in 'networking' situations. This is mainly a new approach to the meeting. A good read, but not what I expected.
Nicole Marble
Wonderful advice from a Hollywood film executive regarding how to sell yourself and your ideas and product and how to think things through.
I suggest this book in conjunction with Robert Evans 'The Kid Stays in the Movie'.
Paige
Not exactly what I was going for. It was geared towards people who are specifically selling something...and I've read better versions. Might be different if it was more applicable to my state of life.
Kelli Koehler
Meh. This book didn't apply to me as much as I thought it would. If you are a screenwriter trying to pitch your movie, then you should definitely read this, otherwise you'll probably be disappointed.
Christina Castro
Author does know her stuff. I didn't get to finish the book since it was a loaner, but appreciated what I did read, and may take it out the library again and finish it someday.
Leo Nguyen
Great book to give you a foundation refining communicating, it can also be used in real time. Grabbed this book as I went down to Brasil on a business venture. Highly recommended
Rao Kasibhotla
Well, if you are a good product manager, here is an advice book that tells you what you should be doing. Good advice in terms of need to think from market perspective.
Mike Alber
Some commonsense ideas, but many that aren't so obvious. It's a good overview of how to present yourself and your ideas more effectively to potential buyers.
Helen
The book is providing the way of presenting the ideas to the clients with good examples and case studies. It is very interesting and useful reading for me.
  • The Secrets of Successful Communication: A Simple Guide to Effective Encounters in Business (Big Brain vs. Little Brain Communication)
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Win the Crowd: Unlock the Secrets of Influence, Charisma, and Showmanship
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
  • The Art of Woo: Using Strategic Persuasion to Sell Your Ideas
  • How to Wow: Proven Strategies for Presenting Your Ideas, Persuading Your Audience, and Perfecting Your Image
  • You Can Negotiate Anything: The World's Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • Make It Happen, A Healthy, Competitive Approach to Achieving Personal Success (3 Off the Tee, #2)
  • Lead to Succeed and You Won't Manage to Fail
  • The Coffee Break Screenwriter: Writing Your Script Ten Minutes at a Time
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • Double Double: How to Double Your Revenue & Profit in 3 Years or Less
  • Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434
  • Guerrilla Publicity: Hundreds of Sure-Fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars
  • Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life)
Stephanie Palmer coaches business leaders and creative professionals in a wide range of industries to help them get their ideas the attention and financing they deserve. As part of MGM’s executive team for six years, she supervised twenty films with multimillion dollar budgets, including the international screen hit, Legally Blonde. She has been featured in The Los Angeles Times, Variety and on NP ...more
More about Stephanie Palmer...
How To Take A Hollywood Meeting Create the Pitch For Your Screenplay The Cost Of Democracy: Party Funding In Modern British Politics